Windows 10: Cannot browse WORKGROUP shares

Discus and support Cannot browse WORKGROUP shares in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a relatively simple network that consists of a couple Windows 10 PCs, Android devices and Raspberry Pis. For some reason I cannot access the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jglazer, Nov 14, 2017.

1. jglazer Win User

Cannot browse WORKGROUP shares

I have a relatively simple network that consists of a couple Windows 10 PCs, Android devices and Raspberry Pis. For some reason I cannot access the shares provided by the PIs from anything but the android devices. It says they are in WORKGROUP (using Kodi) but they simply don't show up in the network browser under Windows 10. This used to work perfectly. Right now I have to use an android device to copy files from my windows PC to the PI share. Does anyone have any solutions to this?

:)

jglazer, Nov 14, 2017

2. Windows 10 HomeGroup required?

Windows 10 is a pain when it comes to Home Networking! The simple task of connecting to a shared drive or folder seems impossible! Homegroups no longer work. The troubleshooter can't find anything wrong, yet I cannot connect any of four computers to the
    homegroup after upgrading to Windows 10.

Even though all computers are in the same workgroup, I cannot browse them. The correct Username and Password is always wrong!

WHY Microsoft?

Lester Carib, Nov 14, 2017
  3. After the 1511 update, the windows 10 pc's cannot see other shares if it is not the master browser

Thanks for replying. Still the problem remains: the windows 10 machine cannot see all the shared pc's, only itself and a windows 7 pc. not even a windows server 2012r2 datacenter in workgroup mode(no domain). It has to be the MB to see all pcs and shares

SrCorrecto, Nov 14, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Hey jglazer,
    Can you still access the shares using ... \\RaspberryHostName\ShareName or \\RasperryIPaddress\ShareName
    If so you can map the network shares ... Map Network Drive in Windows 10 Network Sharing Tutorials

FYI ... If your Win10 version is 1709 (Fall Creators Update) it could be that SMBv1 has been uninstalled ...

• Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional no longer contain the SMBv1 server by default after a clean installation.
    • Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional still contain the SMBv1 client by default after a clean installation. If the SMBv1 client is not used for 15 days in total (excluding the computer being turned off), it automatically uninstalls itself.
    • In-place upgrades and Insider flights of Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional do not automatically remove SMB1 initially. If the SMBv1 client or server is not used for 15 days in total (excluding the time during which the computer is off), they each automatically uninstall themselves.
    • Because the Computer Browser service relies on SMBv1, the service is uninstalled if the SMBv1 client or server is uninstalled. This means that Explorer Network can no longer display Windows computers through the legacy NetBIOS datagram browsing method.

Reference ... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-version-1709

Eagle51, Nov 14, 2017
  5. jglazer Win User
    I am using a linux version specific to Kodi on the Raspberry Pi. It support SMBv2 and v3 by default. I turned on v1 as well. The really odd thing is that I had a laptop that I took to my sister's to setup her Rapberry Pi and I saw its shares fine. The same laptop does NOT see the shares here.

I cannot hit the shares using \\pi\sharename.

Any more thoughts?

jglazer, Nov 15, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    What version of Raspbian are you running on the Pi's? Post your Samba Config files from both Pi's. If they have the "Master" settings set to yes, that can cause them to not be able to be recognized by Windows. A out of the box install of Samba on the Pi, should let you see them.

bro67, Nov 17, 2017
  7. jglazer Win User
    I am not using Raspian. I am using the minimal LibreElec version. I can browse the shares with my android devices just fine.

jglazer, Nov 17, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

We already know that. You need to re-read what I posted and post the answers to those questions, along with the Samba Config files from the Pi's. If you do not follow that info, then this topic will close at this point. Regardless of what OS that you are running, we need the information.

It is like taking your vehicle in for servicing and telling the mechanic that there is something wrong, but you have to use the vehicle and will not let them help diagnose what is going on.

bro67, Nov 18, 2017
  9. jglazer Win User
    It is like taking your vehicle in for servicing and telling the mechanic that there is something wrong, but you have to use the vehicle and will not let them help diagnose what is going on.[/QUOTE]

jglazer, Nov 18, 2017
  10. jglazer Win User
    I want to add one more morsel of information: I have an old Windows 10 Home computer and I can see the PI shares without a hitch so its obviously an issue with Windows 10 Pro.

jglazer, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot browse WORKGROUP shares - Similar Threads - Cannot browse WORKGROUP

2. is workgroup share encrypted?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is workgroup share encrypted?: hi, i just wondered, when i have a workgroup share and insert the local machine user and password to access the shared folder is the username and password encrypted?or plain text?10x...
  3. is workgroup share encrypted?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is workgroup share encrypted?: hi, i just wondered, when i have a workgroup share and insert the local machine user and password to access the shared folder is the username and password encrypted?or plain text?10x...
  4. is workgroup share encrypted?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Sharing on a Windows 10 Pro workgroup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sharing on a Windows 10 Pro workgroup: I setup a share on a Windows 10 pro computer so that others can map to it via \\hostname\share. The issue is that when I try mapping to it from another computer on the workgroup it prompts for creds. When I enter the creds of the local admin user and click save credentials is...
  6. Workgroup computers not showing/sharing properly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Workgroup computers not showing/sharing properly: Hi. I have 2 computers in my home, one family computer and one personal. I was running Windows 7 on my personal machine and Windows 10 on the family with no problems with workgroup or sharing. I recently upgraded my personal computer to Windows 10 and now I cannot get the...
  7. Viewing Shared and Un-Shared Folders Accross a Workgroup

Viewing Shared and Un-Shared Folders Accross a Workgroup: I have two computers running Windows 10 Pro, version 18363, they are on a peer-to-peer network. For Both Computers A and B, In the network sharing options for private networks, I have tuned on file and print sharing and turned on Network discovery, and automatic set up of...
  8. Win 10 sharing with no "workgroup"

Win 10 sharing with no "workgroup": Hello, have two machines, running Win 10 Home, both I think are called 32 bit. One machine I use for myself, writing, personally created music, financial etc, the other is used by us both for e-mails, and other information. I had a kind of partial sharing between machines...
  9. Question on Security for Nearby Sharing and Workgroups

Question on Security for Nearby Sharing and Workgroups: I am trying Nearby Sharing and I used the setting of sharing and receiving form my devices only. How does Windows 10 know which devices are mine? I have two laptops with the same Microsoft Account and password. Does that set them apart sufficiently so that other devices...
  10. Network/Workgroup Sharing

Network/Workgroup Sharing: Sirs: I have two computers set up to use the same Workgroup. When I try to connect from one computer to the other. I get a message "You do not have permission to access (the shared directory)" on the other computer. I enabled all sharing and permissions that I can find...