Windows 10: Map Network Drive in Windows 10

Discus and support Map Network Drive in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Map Network Drive in Windows 10 How to Map Network Drive or Disconnect Network Drive in Windows 10 When you map a network drive, you are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by cognus, Oct 18, 2016.

1. cognus Win User

Map Network Drive in Windows 10

How to: Map Network Drive in Windows 10

How to Map Network Drive or Disconnect Network Drive in Windows 10

When you map a network drive, you are creating a shortcut in This PC to a shared folder or computer on your network. A mapped network drive has the following characteristics:
    • It has a drive letter assigned like any other partition in your system.
    • It points to a network shared folder on another PC.
    • It points only to resources found on your network.
    • You need the username and password credentials to connect to it.
    This tutorial will show you different ways on how to map network drives or disconnect network drives for only your account in Windows 10.

See also:

Map Network Drive in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Note Mapped network drives are stored in the registry location below:

*Arrow HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\<share name>

The credentials used for your mapped network drives are stored in Credential Manager.

CONTENTS:

EXAMPLE: Mapped network drive in This PC

OPTION ONE [/i] To Map Network Drive in This PC
    1. Do step 2, step 3, or step 4 below for how you would like to map a network drive in This PC.

2. Open This PC in File Explorer, click/tap on the Computer tab, click/tap on the Map network drive button in the ribbon, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

3. Open File Explorer, right click or press and hold on This PC in the navigation pane, click/tap on Map network drive, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

4. Open This PC in File Explorer, click/tap on the Computer tab, click/tap on Map network drive menu arrow in the ribbon, click/tap on Map network drive, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

5. You will now need to fill out the Map Network Drive wizard for what you want, and click/tap on Finished when done. (see screenshots below)
    • Select an unused drive letter you want to assign to the network drive.
    • Browse to and select, or type in the path, of the shared network folder. If typing the network path, you must start with “\\” followed by the name of the computer that is sharing the folder you want to map, followed by “\” and the name of the shared network folder.
    • Check or uncheck to automatically Reconnect at sign-in to the mapped network drive.
    • Check or uncheck Connect using different credentials to the mapped network drive depending on if the credentials for the network drive are already stored in Credential Manager from previously mapping the network drive, and if the credentials in Credential Manager are correct.

6. If you checked Connect using different credentials, you will now need to enter the user name and password credentials to connect to the network drive, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

*note If you did not check Connect using different credentials, Windows will try to connect to the network drive using the user account details from your computer in Credential Manager.

You can check the Remember my credentials box to not have to enter credentials each time you open the mapped network drive.

7. The mapped network drive will now automatically open. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Map Network Drive in Command Prompt

*note For more details about the net use command, see: Net use - Microsoft Docs
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Type the command below you wanted to use into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

(Remains connected after next logon)
    *Arrow net use <drive letter>: \\ComputerName\ShareName /user UserName Password /persistent:yes

OR

(Removed after next logon)
    *Arrow net use <drive letter>: \\ComputerName\ShareName /user UserName Password /persistent:no

Note Substitute <drive letter>: in the command above with an unused drive letter (ex: "Z:" ) you want to assign the mapped network drive.

If you like, you can substitute <drive letter>: in the command above with an asterisk * instead to have Windows automatically assign an unused drive letter to the mapped network drive.

Substitute ComputerName in the command above with the actual computer name of the PC (ex: "readyshare") that the shared folder is located on.

Substitute ShareName in the command above with the actual name of the network share folder (ex: "USB_Storage").

Substitute UserName in the command above with the actual user name (ex: "UserName") for the credentials of the shared folder.

Substitute Password in the command above with the actual password (ex: "password") for the credentials of the shared folder.

For example:

net use Z: \\readyshare\USB_Storage /user UserName password /persistent:yes

OR

net use * \\readyshare\USB_Storage /user UserName password /persistent:yes

3. When finished, you can close the command prompt if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Map Network Drive in PowerShell

*note For more details about the New-PSDrive command, see: New-PSDrive - Microsoft Docs
    1. Open PowerShell.

2. Type the command below you wanted to use into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below step 4)

(Remains connected after next logon)
    Code:
    OR

(Removed after next logon)
    Code:
    Note Substitute <drive letter>: in the command above with an unused drive letter (ex: "Z:" ) you want to assign the mapped network drive.

Substitute ComputerName in the command above with the actual computer name of the PC (ex: "readyshare") that the shared folder is located on.

Substitute ShareName in the command above with the actual name of the network share folder (ex: "USB_Storage").

Substitute UserName in the command above with the actual user name (ex: "UserName") for the credentials of the shared folder.

For example:

Code:
    OR

Code:
    3. Enter the password of the shared folder's credentials, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

4. When finished, you can close PowerShell if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Disconnect Network Drive in This PC
    1. Do step 2, step 3, step 4, or step 5 below for how you would like to disconnect a network drive in This PC.

2. Open This PC in File Explorer, right click or press and hold on the mapped network drive (ex: Z: ), click/tap on Disconnect, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

3. Open This PC in File Explorer, select the mapped network drive (ex: Z: ), click/tap on the Computer tab, click/tap on Map network drive menu arrow in the ribbon, click/tap on Disconnect network drive, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

4. Open File Explorer, right click or press and hold on This PC in the navigation pane, click/tap on Disconnect network drive, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

5. Open This PC in File Explorer, click/tap on the Computer tab, click/tap on Map network drive menu arrow in the ribbon, click/tap on Disconnect network drive, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

6. Select the mapped network drive(s) (ex: Z: ) you want to disconnect, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. The mapped network drive(s) have now been disconnected.

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Disconnect Network Drive in Command Prompt

*note For more details about the net use command, see: Net use - Microsoft Docs
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Type net use into the command prompt, and press Enter to see a list of all your mapped network drives. (see screenshot below)

3. Type the command you want to use below into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    (Disconnect a single specific mapped network drive)
    *Arrow net use <drive letter>: /Delete

(Disconnect all mapped network drives at once)
    *Arrow net use * /Delete

Note Substitute <drive letter>: in the command above with the actual drive letter (ex: "Z:" ) of the mapped network drive you want to disconnect.

For example: net use Z: /Delete

4. When finished, you can close the command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

cognus, Oct 18, 2016
  2. SarahKong Win User

win 10 file sharing

One suggestion is to permanently map a drive to a network folder.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/map-network-...

Then you can have that LAN game connect to the mapped folder by drive letter.

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

SarahKong, Oct 18, 2016
  3. Is it possible to keep the content window when the mapped drive is connected to the computer open/minimized on Windows 10?

Original Title: mapping a Network dive with Win 10 option query

Hi,

When you map a Network drive after it connects a new window opens up and shows the contents of the network drive. Is there an option to not have that window open once the drive is connected or have it minimized?

Artoo

Artoo Smith, Oct 18, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello cognus, *Smile

I find the best way to keep a mapped drive always available is to use OPTION ONE and select Reconnect at sign-in at step 5.

The (Remains connected after next logon) command in the other options should work for you as well though.

It's normal for the mapped drive to have a red X on it after not being used for a while, but clicking on the drive should have it be automatically connected again after a short wait sorta like waiting for a HDD to spin back up after being turned off when idle.

I'm not aware of a way to keep a mapped drive to always stay active.

Brink, Oct 18, 2016
  5. cognus Win User
    rats.... I figured if anyone knew, you would *Smile
    'tis ugly, but one of my smart friends said that a script could be written that would periodically tap the drive [request a non-existent file or such] to keep it awake but that feels clumsy. maybe i should just try it and see.
    I have not seen the 'disconnect interval' detailed anywhere - is there a set time/cycle for the dropping of the idle resource or does it vary by the config?

cognus, Oct 18, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I haven't seen it detailed anywhere either. The script to bump the drive sounds like it could be a good workaround though.

Brink, Oct 19, 2016
  7. Bree New Member
    Good News: I've found the details.

Bad News: This is a setting is on the server, not the client.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/297684

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Thank you Bree. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Map Network Drive in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Map Network Drive

2. Windows 10: Map a network drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10: Map a network drive.: Hi Greg, I read your reply on 'Map a network drive'. It is helpful, but my question, about mapping a network drive, is a little different. Am helping a colleague map a network drive. Have granted Full Access to that colleague's account.While browsing and selecting the drive,...
  3. Windows 10: Map a network drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10: Map a network drive.: Hi Greg, I read your reply on 'Map a network drive'. It is helpful, but my question, about mapping a network drive, is a little different. Am helping a colleague map a network drive. Have granted Full Access to that colleague's account.While browsing and selecting the drive,...
  4. Mapping Network Drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mapping Network Drives: Both my PC and my Wife's laptop are running Win 11 with no problems.I managed to map the laptop C drive to my PC but when I tried the other way around I accidentally mapped my public drive to her laptop.I have unmapped it; however, when I try to map my C drive to her laptop,...
  5. Mapping a network drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mapping a network drive: I'm trying to connect to a webdav server via the "map network drive feature". I feel like i've had success in the past with entering https://192.168.1.45:5201<---- thats not a real link I can connect to it everywhere else... submitted by /u/rexlx [link] [comments]...
  6. Mapping a network drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapping a network drive: I am trying to map a network drive from one Windows 10 PC to a shared USB drive on another Windows 10 PC. I have two USB drives in this PC. One I can share successfully. When I try to map to the other one it keeps asking for Windows credentials. I have password protected...
  7. Mapping a network drive windows 10

Mapping a network drive windows 10: Hi All, I have tried to map an old network drive to my PC which hasn't been connected since win 10 update, it is a Lenovo/EMC product that is no longer supported and Lenovo EMC storage manager (On my old pc)) doesn't appear to be working. (Says the device if offline). I...
  8. Map Network drive

Map Network drive: Having an issue with mapping network drive with my local Netgear device. The id/password for attaching to the netgear device is local to the device and is not joined to a domain. My windows 10 laptop is joined to a domain. When I try to map a drive, such as...
  9. Map network drive not working in windows 10 solution

Map network drive not working in windows 10 solution: I have done the solution of windows 10. download MediaCreationTool1809 from windows website and install it after that restart your system and make sure your firewall is on condition.
  10. Windows 10 map network Drive

Windows 10 map network Drive: I got the solution of WIndows 10 map network drive connect. Please install MediaCreationTool1809 and switch on firewell setting. then restart your system. You’ll got activate your map network drive....