Windows 10: Cannot change border width in latest version of Windows 10

Discus and support Cannot change border width in latest version of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Have Windows 10 Pro 1511 10586.17 installed but want to make the windows borders bit wider as I do not like the ultra narrow ones. I have changed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by chepstowboy1953, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Cannot change border width in latest version of Windows 10

Have Windows 10 Pro 1511 10586.17 installed but want to make the windows borders bit wider as I do not like the ultra narrow ones.
    I have changed borderwidth setting in registry and have also done so with the paddedborderwidth setting but regardless of what I do to that setting, after reboot the border stays the same.
    Anyone know why this is so?
    Thanks...(not a Newbie)

:)

chepstowboy1953, Dec 3, 2015
  2. TrueRock2 Win User

How can I change the Border size of desktop windows in Windows 10

jaszzz13,

Apparently changing

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

does not work in Windows 10.

And, this makes me think that this may indicate why Windows 10 has not provided a way to modify the width of window borders.

I'm making a wild guess that the functionality is not easily implemented in Windows 10 and will take more than a trivial fix to provide.

But, who knows... obviously no one at Microsoft knows why.

As is well known, the issue is not the width of the window border it is the color - in Windows 10 window borders are transparent.

TrueRock2, Dec 3, 2015
  3. jaszzz13 Win User
    How can I change the Border size of desktop windows in Windows 10

The following may have been mentioned in the many pages above but here is a link to registry settings. I don't know if they work yet because I can't afford to loose the state of all of my open applications by signing off to activate the settings!!!!

Change Desktop Windows Metrics and Border Width in Windows 8/10

Change Desktop Windows Metrics and Border Width in Windows

jaszzz13, Dec 3, 2015
  4. philc43 Win User

Cannot change border width in latest version of Windows 10

The Aerolite theme from Win8 can be installed and gives you the ability to change border widths.

See Aerolite Theme - Install in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

There are restrictions on these settings in the current W10 themes because the Universal Apps do not handle these changes yet.

philc43, Dec 3, 2015
Thema:

Cannot change border width in latest version of Windows 10

1. Cannot change border width in latest version of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Cannot change border

2. WSUS cannot show latest version of Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSUS cannot show latest version of Windows: Hi all,I have a WSUS Server, It still running normally but cannot show latest version of Windows. Example attach file: this machine has been upgrade from Windows 10 Pro version 1903 to Windows 10 Pro version 22H2 but the WSUS Server only show build number 19041 2004. It makes...
  3. WSUS cannot show latest version of Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WSUS cannot show latest version of Windows: Hi all,I have a WSUS Server, It still running normally but cannot show latest version of Windows. Example attach file: this machine has been upgrade from Windows 10 Pro version 1903 to Windows 10 Pro version 22H2 but the WSUS Server only show build number 19041 2004. It makes...
  4. WSUS cannot show latest version of Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Trying to increase border width and regedit not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Trying to increase border width and regedit not working: Hi all, I am a brand new user of W10. I am trying really hard to get used to it, but not doing well and getting really frustrated. Right now I am trying to increase the size of the borders of the windows and have followed several sets of directions telling me to go to...
  6. Windows Metrics - Padded Border Width issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Metrics - Padded Border Width issue: Hi! I already set 'Border Width = 0' and 'Padded Border Width = 0' but there are still gaps. Before I posted I already spent a lot of time to solve this issue, looks like can't do this by myself. Any help would be awesome! https://i.snipboard.io/HR7fv2.jpg submitted by...
  7. how to change border widths under win10 pro

how to change border widths under win10 pro: Hi y'all, how do you change border widths under win10 pro? Brgds https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-border-widths-under-win10-pro/d77f8676-54c5-4948-9355-a716f7654841
  8. Change the width of the cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Change the width of the cursor: How to change the width of the cursor ascii 124 (vertical line). 134665
  9. Change window border width back to 1 pixel under high contrast

Change window border width back to 1 pixel under high contrast: Windows defaults to thick window borders using the high contrast mode. How can I change it back to just 1 pixel width which is the default under non high contrast modes? 40336
  10. context menu border size to width

context menu border size to width: Hi, Is there a way to adjust the context menu border size? What is the default size? My border is too wide i think. [img] 45598