Windows 10: Install Aerolite Theme in Windows 10

Discus and support Install Aerolite Theme in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Install Aerolite Theme in Windows 10 How to Use Aerolite Theme for Window Borders and Title Bars Color in Windows 10 When you change the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Indianatone, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Install Aerolite Theme in Windows 10

How to: Install Aerolite Theme in Windows 10

How to Use Aerolite Theme for Window Borders and Title Bars Color in Windows 10

When you change the color in Windows 10, it will change the color of your Start menu accents, Start button, taskbar, title bars, window borders, buttons, text, Settings accents, sign-in screen accents, and Action Center accents.

By default, title bars are white unless you turn on show color on Start, taskbar, and action center.

Window borders are only 1 pixel wide, so they don't show the selected color very well. This tutorial will give you wider window borders.

Aerolite.theme Release Notes:
    • For Windows apps, the window borders will be a bit wider to see the color better.
    • For Windows apps, the color of the title bar will not be changed.
    • The color of text in the title bar of inactive windows turn from black to gray.
    • The color of text in the title bar of the active window will be black.
    • The color of inactive window borders will be slightly lighter than the chosen color.
    • The color of the currently active window border will be the same color as the chosen color.
    This tutorial will show you how to download and install a modified aerolite.theme to have the color of window borders and title bars stand our more in Windows 10.

Contents
    • Option One: To Install aerolite.theme and Change Color for Only Your Account
    • Option Two: To Install aerolite.theme and Change Color for All Accounts

EXAMPLE: Active and Inactive window borders and title bars

Install Aerolite Theme in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Install aerolite.theme and Change Color for Only Your Account
    1 Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .zip file of the Aero Lite theme you want.

This aerolite.theme file is only the default "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\aero.theme" file already included in Windows that has been edited to use the aerolite.msstyles file instead of aero.msstyles file that are also both included in Windows by default.

I just provided an already edited copy of this .theme file for you to download and use instead of you having to do all the work yourself to make it easier without having to use any 3rd party programs.

Aero_Lite_Theme.zip

Download

OR

Aero_Lite_(white-text)_theme.zip

Download

2 Save the .zip file to your desktop.

3 Unblock the .zip file.

4 Open the .zip file, and extract (drag and drop) the aerolite.theme or Custom.theme file to your desktop.

5 Double click/tap on the extracted aerolite.theme or Custom.theme file to install and apply the theme to only your account. Your theme settings will now open to indicate you changed to the Aero Lite theme. (see screenshot below)

This will install the aerolite.theme or Custom.theme file to the %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Themes folder below for your account, and have the Aero Lite theme show under My Themes in your theme settings.

6 You can now change the title bar text color to what you want.

7 You can now choose a color you want to also have it applied to your window borders and title bars. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Install aerolite.theme and Change Color for All Accounts
    You will need to be signed in as an administrator to be able to do this option.

1 Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .zip file of the Aero Lite theme you want.

This aerolite.theme file is only the default "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\aero.theme" file already included in Windows that has been edited to use the aerolite.msstyles file instead of aero.msstyles file that are also both included in Windows by default.

I just provided an already edited copy of this .theme file for you to download and use instead of you having to do all the work yourself to make it easier without having to use any 3rd party programs.

Aero_Lite_Theme.zip

Download

OR

Aero_Lite_(white-text)_theme.zip

Download

2 Save the .zip file to your desktop.

3 Unblock the .zip file.

4 Open the .zip file, and extract (drag and drop) the aerolite.theme or Custom.theme file to your desktop.

5 Copy or move the extracted aerolite.theme or Custom.theme file to the C:\Windows\Resources\Themes folder. (see screenshot below)

6 Click/tap on Continue to approve. (see screenshot below)

7 You and all users will now have the installed Aero Lite theme available to change the theme to. (see screenshot below)

8 When the Aero Lite theme has been selected by users, that user can then choose a color they want for only their account to also have it applied to their window borders and title bars. (see screenshot below)

9 Users can also change the title bar text color to what they want.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Indianatone, Jul 7, 2015
  2. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jul 7, 2015
  3. Change application background color window 10

You can actually do this in Windows 10 by using an AeroLite-based theme. That's technically not high contrast, but has some of the same behavior you want, such as most apps using the Colors :: Window color override that was discussed above.

There is no user interface allowing for control over these colors outside of High Contrast mode, nor in switching a theme to use Aerolite instead of Aero. You'd need to do manual editing of the .theme file to accomplish this.

Upvoting feedback on this kind of feature request is one of the better ways to have it known that this is something that people want.

zachd [MSFT], Jul 7, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Install Aerolite Theme in Windows 10

Because it doesn't work very well with Universal apps. Microsoft wants a consistent look and feel between desktop and Universal apps, so they removed a lot of functionality from desktop personalization until it can be added to Universal apps as well.

Mystere, Jul 7, 2015
  5. Edwin New Member
    Yeah, basically, you wouldn't be able to perform these tweaks on your Windows phone so MS would rather not show the abilities available on the PC lest it screw up synced themes.

Edwin, Jul 7, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    It has nothing to do with phones... The functionality isn't there in Universal apps on the PC either.

Mystere, Jul 7, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 7, 2015
  8. Install Aerolite Theme in Windows 10

I have been sending them feedback and up voting non stop since, this was one hell of a stupid feature to remove. Just like when they removed the ability to make the scroll bars at the side a bit wider then the default ones in Windows 8. Thank god I used Brink's reg hack that still works on Windows 10. Changing the full screen program vertical scroll bar from -255 to -285 makes one hell of a difference on 1080p res. Give it a try and you'll see what I mean, glad that still works *Wink

Scrollbar - Change Width Size in Windows 8

But yea, I have sent multiple feedback requests for this. They could have coded the apps separately from programs. Not force all white upon us. So I appreciate this hack/tweak very much.

Next step would be nice to change the text size on the Start Menu. That 8pt on 1080p for Start Menu items doesn't appeal to me very much. That size looks great on 1024x768 or 8" inch tablet versions, but not on a computer. I've sent in requests for that as well.

heyyahblah, Jul 7, 2015
  9. Thanks Brink.
    *Thumbs

lehnerus2000, Jul 7, 2015
  10. Edwin New Member
    For those using Firefox:

If you've used this tutorial to colorize your window headers and have chosen a rather dark color, here's a way to make inactive tab fonts white in Firefox 39.0:

Go to your Firefox profile folder:
    C:\Users\[your moniker]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default

inside that folder, create a new folder named Chrome,

inside the Chrome folder, paste the following into notepad:

Code: tab:not([selected="true"] ) { color: rgba(255,255,255,0.95) !important;}[/quote] and save it as UserChrome.css

Close the folder and restart Firefox, if necessary.

Before:

After:

Edwin, Jul 7, 2015
  11. TeknoBug Win User
    Good to be able to change titlebar color, hate the white. But one problem, text in taskbar is black since my taskbar is black/grey.

TeknoBug, Aug 1, 2015
  12. Is there a way to add this to my current theme?

lafargeotte, Aug 2, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Lafargeotte,

Not sure, but you can still make any changes to the theme from the tutorial afterwards to be the same as before, but now with colored borders. *Smile

Brink, Aug 2, 2015
  14. Hi Brink,

Had done that, but just for the future I wondered if it could be done.

lafargeotte, Aug 2, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm sure that it could be by editing the themes and comparing them for differences, but I'm not sure what to change.

However, it would be easier to set your theme how you like, then save it as a .theme or .deskthemepack file that you can always use to restore with.

Theme - Save in Windows 8

Brink, Aug 2, 2015
Thema:

1. Install Aerolite Theme in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Install Aerolite Theme

2. Aerolite support in window 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Aerolite support in window 11: Currently, there is no officially Aerolite support in Windows 11, though you can still enable the theme in windows 11.When the theme is enabled in windows 11 it obviously has bugs, for instance, if you enable darkmode whilst the theme is activated some strange bugs appear in...
  3. Aerolite support in window 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Aerolite support in window 11: Currently, there is no officially Aerolite support in Windows 11, though you can still enable the theme in windows 11.When the theme is enabled in windows 11 it obviously has bugs, for instance, if you enable darkmode whilst the theme is activated some strange bugs appear in...
  4. Aerolite darkmode theme bug in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Aerolite darkmode theme bug in windows 11: There is a profound bug, that renders Aerolite unusable with darkmode, in Windows 11.Not only is this ugly and obviously not intentional, but it also makes reading directories or what is in the search bar impossible.This is because the text is white because of darkmode,...
  5. Aerolite darkmode theme bug in windows 11

Aerolite darkmode theme bug in windows 11: There is a profound bug, that renders Aerolite unusable with darkmode, in Windows 11.Not only is this ugly and obviously not intentional, but it also makes reading directories or what is in the search bar impossible.This is because the text is white because of darkmode,...
  6. Editing aerolite theme made my win 10 pc weird.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Editing aerolite theme made my win 10 pc weird.: I was editing a system file, as usually, but when I tried to apply it afterwards, but it wouldn't apply. The file was set on open with...: resourcehacker, not on CPL Personalisation I suspect that may be the problem. I Applied the theme 5-6 times off and on, but I only saw a...
  7. Editing aerolite theme made my win 10 pc weird.

Editing aerolite theme made my win 10 pc weird.: I was editing a system file, as usually, but when I tried to apply it afterwards, but it wouldn't apply. The file was set on open with...: resourcehacker, not on CPL Personalisation I suspect that may be the problem. I Applied the theme 5-6 times off and on, but I only saw a...
  8. Editing aerolite theme made my win 10 pc weird.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Windows 10, Theme not showing up in list of themes installed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10, Theme not showing up in list of themes installed: Hi, I've recently downloaded a Windows Theme from the Microsoft Store but it won't show up in the customization settings. Prior to this I downloaded other themes that show up correctly and I can set them as active. The exact theme I wanted to use was named "Glorious...
  10. So I used the Aerolite theme on here but, how to change font color?

in Windows 10 Customization
    So I used the Aerolite theme on here but, how to change font color?: As it says, when using the aerolite theme for colored titlebars, it uses black colored fonts which are hard to read, my question is, how can I change these font colors? and also why the hell isin't this an option in the base windows 10 customization section?!? 10842