Windows 10: Cannot disable Windows Defender components to repair ownership error

Discus and support Cannot disable Windows Defender components to repair ownership error in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This problem showed up about two months ago, after a Microsoft update. Windows Defender began generating a stream of event error ID:16 - Error while... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ineuw, Jan 12, 2019.

1. ineuw Win User

Cannot disable Windows Defender components to repair ownership error

This problem showed up about two months ago, after a Microsoft update. Windows Defender began generating a stream of event error ID:16 - Error while updating Windows Defender status to SECURITY_PRODUCT_STATE_ON. Each error message is stamped with the same Date & Time which makes me think that the Events log crashed.
    Found the problem immediately. Of the four Defender related services, three are logged on as Local System but the Windows Defender Antivirus Network Inspection Service is logged on as Network Service.
    The problem is that I am unable to stop these services to enable the settings.
    List of Defender related services and their status:

Columns:
    Name:
    Startup type:
    Service status:
    Is access enabled or disabled: (There is only one user and one Admin account on this desktop ).
    Logged on as:
    Code: Windows Defender Security Center Service Auto running controls disabled Local System Windows Defender Firewall Auto trying *1079 controls enabled Local System Windows Defender Antivirus Service Auto running controls disabled Local System Windows Defender Antivirus Network Inspection Service Manual running controls disabled Network Service Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection Service Manual not running controls enabled Local System[/quote] * event ID 1079 is also a logon error for Windows Defender Firewall.
    Also tried Windows Club software to stop the services and that didn't work.

:)

ineuw, Jan 12, 2019

2. How to disable windows defender for long time?

Hi Andrew,

If I understand you correctly you are willing to disable Windows Defender from your system. I would like to know few more things to understand the issue in a better way.

• Why are you trying to disable Windows Defender? Are you planning to install any third party security software?
    • From where you have followed the steps to disable Windows defender using registry?
    • Are you logged in as Administrator?

The steps which you have mentioned to disable Windows Defender using gpedit.msc is correct. If you are unable to disable it then you may do that by stopping the service responsible for Windows Defender. Here are steps which you may follow to perform the
    same task.

• Press Windows key + R to open run box.
    • Type services.msc and hit enter.
    • There should be 2 services: Windows Defender Service
      and Windows Defender Network14.
    • Right click on each and press stop.

If you will stop the service responsible for Windows Defender then it will not run till it is stopped. Do get back to us with all the information required and result of proposed suggestion. We will be happy to assist you further.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Jan 12, 2019
  3. How to disable windows defender for long time?

Dear ramesh,

I too agree with Farah in that the options to start, stop Windows Defender are not clickable. There should be a way to stop the WD

Azad Rahimtoola, Jan 12, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

Permanently Disable Windows Defender?

Since this is a TP. The option to turn off/disable Windows Defender is grayed out. However, you can turn off by:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

1. Open Admin Command Prompt and type: gpedit.msc
    2. Manoeuver to: Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Windows Defender
    3. Double click on "Turn Off Windows Defender" and select "Enabled" then click "Apply"

WARNING: After turn off "Windows Defender", you might not be able to turn it back on. I suggest before trying this, make a backup image so you can restore to the way it was.

Cannot disable Windows Defender components to repair ownership error [​IMG]

topgundcp, Jan 12, 2019
Thema:

1. Cannot disable Windows Defender components to repair ownership error - Similar Threads - Cannot disable Defender

2. the component store is repairable?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the component store is repairable?: Been having freezing issues with my computer for a while. Been trying to figure out how to resolve it.Trying to check the Window integrity with the DISM commands to resolve my issues but the commands aren't working.The first 2 commands...
  3. Cannot disable Windows Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot disable Windows Defender: I have tried to disable windows defender using the Microsoft whitepapers, but it enables itself each time. Can you please help since it is taking a lot of my CPU resources primarily the Windows Defender Advanced Thread Protection Service and Antimalware Service Executable? I...
  4. Cannot disable Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot disable Windows Defender: I have tried to disable windows defender using the Microsoft whitepapers, but it enables itself each time. Can you please help since it is taking a lot of my CPU resources primarily the Windows Defender Advanced Thread Protection Service and Antimalware Service Executable? I...
  5. Cannot disable Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Cannot Disable Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot Disable Windows Defender: The Anti Malware Service Executable MsMpEng.exe is using alot of my CPU in the background slowing down my computer so i tried disabling it by the following methods- Using Policy Editor gpedit.msc Adding an exclusion for MsMpEng.exe in Windows Defender I tried adding the...
  7. SFC returns error message "The component store cannot be repaired" ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SFC returns error message "The component store cannot be repaired" ?: I run SFC as a matter of course after any major change to my system. Since I just received the 1903 update I went ahead and ran SFC as usual. I should mentionthat my system seems to be running perfectly and there is no indications of anything being wrong. This time when I...
  8. SFC returs error message "The component store cannot be repaired" ?

in Windows 10 Support
    SFC returs error message "The component store cannot be repaired" ?: I run SFC as a matter of course after any major change to my system. Since I just received the 1903 update I went ahead and ran SFC as usual. I should mentionthat my system seems to be running perfectly and there is no indications of anything being wrong. This time when I...
  9. The component store is repairable?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The component store is repairable?: Hello I had ran DSIM ScanHealth, CheckHealth and CHKDSK and while no errors such as a corruption were noted I did see this result "The Component Store is Repairable" I don't know what this means is it a error? A corruption? Does RestoreHealth need to be ran? I've been...
  10. Cannot disable Windows Defender components to repair ownership error

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot disable Windows Defender components to repair ownership error: This problem showed up about two months ago, after a Microsoft update. Windows Defender began generating a stream of event error ID:16 - Error while updating Windows Defender status to SECURITY_PRODUCT_STATE_ON. Each error message is stamped with the same Date & Time which...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. I am unable to change ownership of windows defender to system