Windows 10: Turn On or Off Windows Defender in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Windows Defender in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 Windows Security... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by robbie2745, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Turn On or Off Windows Defender in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10

Windows Security is built-in to Windows 10 and includes an antirvirus program called Windows Defender Antivirus.

Windows Defender Antivirus helps protect your PC against malware (malicious software) like viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software. Malware can infect your PC without your knowledge: it might install itself from an email message, when you connect to the Internet, or when you install certain apps using a USB flash drive, CD, DVD, or other removable media. Some malware can also be programmed to run at unexpected times, not only when it's installed.

Windows Defender is included with Windows and helps keep malware from infecting your PC in two ways:
    • Providing real-time protection. Windows Defender notifies you when malware tries to install itself or run on your PC. It also notifies you when apps try to change important settings.
    • Providing anytime scanning options. Windows Defender automatically scans your PC for installed malware on a regular basis, but you can also start a scan whenever you want. Windows Defender automatically removes (or temporarily quarantines) anything that's detected during a scan.
    In Windows 10 you can turn off Windows Defender real-time protection, but it will only be temporary. Windows will automatically turn real-time protection back on if it's off for a while.

Improvements in Windows Defender

For Windows 10, Microsoft has revamped Windows Defender and combined it with Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection. Unlike with Microsoft System Center 2012 R2, there will be no System Center Endpoint Protection client to deploy to Windows 10 machines because Windows Defender is built into the operating system and enabled by default.

In addition to simplified deployment, Windows Defender contains several improvements. The most important improvements to Windows Defender are:
    • Early Launch Antimalware (ELAM) compatible. After Secure Boot has verified that the loading operating system is trusted, ELAM can start a registered and signed antimalware application before any other operating system components. Windows Defender is compatible with ELAM.
    • Local context for detections and centralized sensory data. Unlike most antimalware software and previous versions of Windows Defender, Windows Defender in Windows 10 reports additional information about the context of discovered threats. This information includes the source of the content that contains the threat as well as the historical movement of the malware throughout the system. When collection is complete, Windows Defender reports this information (when users elect to enable cloud-based protection) and uses it to mitigate threats more quickly.
    • User Account Control (UAC) integration. Windows Defender is now closely integrated with the UAC mechanism in Windows 10. Whenever a UAC request is made, Windows Defender automatically scans the threat before prompting the user, which helps prevent users from providing elevated privileges to malware.
    • Simplified management. In Windows 10, you can manage Windows Defender much more easily than ever before. Manage settings through Group Policy, Intune, or Configuration Manager.
    See also:
    This tutorial will show you how to completely turn on or off Windows Defender Antivirus for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to turn on or off Windows Defender Antivirus.

When you install some 3rd party antivirus (AV) programs, they may automatically turn off Windows Defender. In this case you may not be able to turn on Windows Defender again until the 3rd party AV program has been disabled (turned off) or completely uninstalled.

Uninstallers (removal tools) for common Windows antivirus software - ESET Knowledgebase
    How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR)
    Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall your Norton product

If you have a 3rd party AV program installed and disable Windows Defender Antivirus, this will also disable periodic scanning.

If you have Windows 10 Tamper Protection to be able to disable Windows Defender Antivirus.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Turn On or Off Windows Defender Antivirus using Group Policy
    • Option Two: To Turn On or Off Windows Defender Antivirus using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Windows Defender Turned Off

Turn On or Off Windows Defender in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Turn On or Off Windows Defender Antivirus using Group Policy
    The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

1 Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2 In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Defender Antivirus

3 In the right pane of Windows Defender Antivirus in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Turn off Windows Defender Antivirus policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4 Do step 5 (on) or step 6 (off) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Turn On Windows Defender Antivirus
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Turn Off Windows Defender Antivirus
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7 When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

8 If you are turning on Windows Defender, then open Windows Defender Security Center, and click/tap on Restart now. (screenshots below)

9 If you like, you may also want to hide or show the Windows Defender notification icon.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Turn On or Off Windows Defender Antivirus using a REG file
    The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender

DisableAntiSpyware DWORD

(delete) or 0 = On
    1 = Off

1 Do step 2 (on) or step 3 (off) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Turn On Windows Defender Antivirus
    This is the default setting.

A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_On_Windows_Defender_Antivirus.reg

Download

3. To Turn Off Windows Defender Antivirus
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Turn_Off_Windows_Defender_Antivirus.reg

Download
    4 Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5 Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6 When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7 If you are turning off Windows Defender Antivirus, sign out and sign in to apply.

8 If you like, you may also want to hide or show the Windows Defender notification icon.

9 If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

robbie2745, Jul 30, 2015

2. How to permanently stop Windows Defender in Windows 10

I'm not on Windows 10, so I'm not sure BUT:

I think that what you did is to turn off Windows Defender real-time protection temporarily. When it's off for a while, Windows will turn it back on automatically.

See:
    https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/turn-on-or-off-windows-defender-real-time-protection-in-windows-10.6805/

For turning off WD permanently try:
    https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/turn-on-or-off-windows-defender-in-windows-10.6895/

Do remember that with WD turned off, you need to install some other anti-virus product...

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

J

Jsssssssss, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Jsssssssss, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Turn On or Off Windows Defender in Windows 10

Hello Robbie, and welcome to Ten Forums.

If you have any 3rd party AV program installed, that may often times disable Windows Defender. Do you know if you have one installed?

Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Thanks for replying Shawn,
    I did have Norton Security on it but removed it after the 10 upgrade. I also used the Norton Removal Tool as well. Strictly using Windows Defender/Firewall now. I have notifications area set to show Defender in the lower right by the clock when logging in but it doesn't show after logging in unless I click on the Defender icon in the task bar to the right. Thanks for your help and explanations. -Robbie

robbie2745, Jul 30, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    As long as you have Windows Defender turned on and real-time protection enabled, you're good to go. *Smile

Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  7. Initial D Win User
    I also followed the steps ('Disabled' the Turn off Windows Defender) but it seems that Windows Defender doesn't seem to stay on. If I restart or turn on the laptop, the Windows Defender icon is no longer displayed on the system tray (I set this to always show) and I get a notification right above the system tray (coming from the bottom right side) within minutes after starting Windows that I need to turn on virus protection (or something similar as it shows for a split second with a sound alert) <- this also doesn't show up in Action Center and says no new notifications which annoys me as I want to see what exactly Windows wants.

If I go to Update & Security -> Windows Defender -> it says Real-time protection is On but still nothing in the system tray. If I scroll down and click "Use Windows Defender" then it shows up in the system tray and stays there until the next restart. Is it really turned on if I get Windows notifications telling me to turn it on (or say I need virus protection)?

Initial D, Jul 30, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

The Windows Defender icon in the notification area is not a reliable method to tell if WD is running or not.

Instead, if WD shows that it and real-time protection is turned on, then WD is running in the background. *Smile

Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  9. Initial D Win User
    Thanks for your help Brink, I was able to get a screen shot. I had the Windows Defender settings window open plus Security and Maintenance from Control Panel window open just before the notification showed up from the right side. It seems to suggest otherwise?

EDIT: Just to be clear I caught this screenshot the 'moment' the bottom-right notification appeared. Once the notification disappears, it then refreshes Security and Maintenance and changes to saying Windows Defender is ON instead of OFF as shown. Sorry I didn't realize this sooner as I was looking for help quickly instead of being patient.

Initial D, Jul 30, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Initial D,

I was referring to that just because the WD icon doesn't show in the taskbar notification area, it doesn't mean that it's not running. That's all.

Do you have a 3rd party AV program installed? If so, then you can click/tap on the "turn off messages about....." links to stop them.

If you don't, what happens when you click on the "Turn on now" buttons?

Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  11. Thanks Shawn,
    I just came back online and noticed that another post was made. Initial D's post (#5) is exactly what was going through. However, I just checked my Control Panel>Security and Maintenance (post #7) and it all shows everything is OK/On as it should be. Other than that thanks for the help and info. You among others do a great job here on the forums and I keep forgetting to hit that 'reputation' button! Have a great weekend! *Smile

robbie2745, Jul 30, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome Robbie. Glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  13. Initial D Win User

I don't have a 3rd party AV installed.

Ok, so I tried restarting again. What I learned is that the notification pops up with a sound after about one-two minutes from Windows startup, disappears suddenly, and then shows that Windows Defender is ON under Security and Maintenance.

So, I tried disabling the messages in Security and Maintenance for both Spyware and Virus Protection and waited. It seems at least on my laptop that it does this check one-two minutes after each Windows startup and it will always show that annoying notification with sound if you don't disable it like you mentioned. I disabled it and the notification hasn't showed up since. *Smile

I'm still annoyed that even though I turned on Windows Defender User Interface under System -> Notifications & actions -> Select which icons appear on the taskbar it still doesn't show up (Win7 doesn't have this problem with its MSE icon), but at least it's running. Thanks for all your help Brink! *Biggrin

Initial D, Jul 30, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're welcome Initial D. *Smile

Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  15. DavidG Win User
    I registered just to Thank You Brink.

Really excellent work I have Windows 10 (home version) and Method Two was right on target.

Now if you could fix my stupid mail app, some things work on my Admin account that do not work on my user account. I do not have a clue. I mean I can not even thing of a way to frame a question about it. *Eek

DavidG, Aug 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Windows Defender in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Defender

2. Turn off Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn off Windows Defender: I am trying to install a new AV software and Windows defender is blocking it. How do I turn off Windows defender in Windows 11 home? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-windows-defender/75cc62c9-69c6-4b9b-8b43-a55a5cec3d1f
  3. Turn off Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turn off Windows Defender: I am trying to install a new AV software and Windows defender is blocking it. How do I turn off Windows defender in Windows 11 home? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-windows-defender/75cc62c9-69c6-4b9b-8b43-a55a5cec3d1f
  4. windows defender turned off

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows defender turned off: my windows defender got completly turned off by a virus and i need help turning it back on[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-turned-off/1ace7038-f611-4e3d-a190-a6a133ce76df
  5. Windows Defender turning off.

Windows Defender turning off.: I have Malwarebytes Premium and I use Windows Defender as a primary scanner, but whenever i update or restart, it turns itself off and i have to turn it back on. Is this normal or something?...
  6. turning off windows defender

turning off windows defender: [ATTACH]i need help because i'm not sure,if i turned off my windows defender will these threats comeback and be allowed? the other 3 at the top are removed or restored so please help....
  7. Windows Defender will not turn off

Windows Defender will not turn off: I see in forums everywhere that when third party anti-malware software is installed and run that Windows Defender turns itself off. But it doesn't with Malware Bytes. Why not? How can I permanently disable Defender while Malware Bytes is installed? Thanks in advance!...
  8. window defender turned off

window defender turned off: my window defender on win 10 pro is turned off and i am unable to turn on. system asks to turn on connect network administrator. and defender is turned off due to group policy etc....
  9. WINDOW DEFENDER IS TURN OFF

WINDOW DEFENDER IS TURN OFF: I NEED HELP FROM THE SECURITY ADMINISTRATOR TO HELP ME TURN ON MY WINDOW DEFENDER THROUGH GROUP POLICY THANKS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/window-defender-is-turn-off/35198a9c-39b1-4fa2-9011-2e3918aa76cd
  10. Turn off Windows Defender

Turn off Windows Defender: Hi I'm trying to turn off Windows Defender as recommended by Sophos the new antivirus software I am getting. But when I followed the instructions online I didn't have an option to manage setting on the last step. I have an hp envy 360 that I just bought and I think it may be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn_off_windows_defender_antivirus.reg