Windows 10: Cannot format Hard drive to completely install clean Windows

Discus and support Cannot format Hard drive to completely install clean Windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I have a Viglen (Tesco's) Connect 10 tablet (Desktop-CTR0QB9). BIOS - american megatrends Ver 5.008. CPU - Intel Atom z3735G @ 1.33Ghz 32Bit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tensone, Jan 3, 2018.

1. tensone Win User

Cannot format Hard drive to completely install clean Windows

Hi,

I have a Viglen (Tesco's) Connect 10 tablet (Desktop-CTR0QB9). BIOS - american megatrends Ver 5.008. CPU - Intel Atom z3735G @ 1.33Ghz 32Bit with 64Bit support.

Was all up to date with V1709, Malwarebytes, Defender.

I was having a problem with the screen and touch pad uses, so I installed which I thought was the correct drivers for the tablet.
    But it crashed with the Blue screen with'Driver Overran Buffer Stack' continuously looping trying to repair with not results. The only access to the system was via Command Prompt and despite doing what several people suggested to get back to life which all failed. Even could not access 'D: Recovery' or even using a USB Repair stick made sometime ago.

So I downloaded a Windows 10 ISO as I had nothing with the Tablet from Tesco's. Installed and prayed it not ask for a Product Key as I had none (tried 3 methods via CMD to retrieve). Although now I have a working tablet, but still have issues.

Several of the settings buttons/switches are Greyed and cannot be changed, and those which can be changed make no effect as it was set for.
    IE: The tablet power button was assigned to shutdown, it don't'. Cannot get the Battery/Power icon on the tray, despite although greyed in the taskbar settings its switched on.

I have tried several times to reinstall Windows, Formatted the Primary partition, tried to remove unallocated partitions. Cannot either via windows or CMD using diskpart, only the installing lets it be done. I know its not a totally clean install as every time my Screen images load. The manufacture appears not to support for any BIOS updates only basic drv's.

So I want to totally clean the harddrive of everything and start again like new.

How.......
    thanks

:)

tensone, Jan 3, 2018

2. Trying to downgrade windows 10 to windows 8.1 64 bit.

Hi,

I trying to format my laptop clean hard drive format and try to install win 8.1 but after 100% setup completed show me below error

windows could not update the computer's boot configuration.installation cannot proceed

Please suggest what i do.

Hinjewadi IT Support, Jan 3, 2018
  3. Nik_2296 Win User
    Clean installing windows 10

I just checked that my Hard Disk is partitioned in GPT Style. So if I do a clean install, I would have to COMPLETELY FORMAT my drive, right? And what style would be the drive formatted in, once the clean install is done?

Nik_2296, Jan 3, 2018
  4. Word Man Win User

Should be no need to format if you're deleting the partitions in the install as in Steps 10 and onward in this Tutorial: Clean Install Windows 10

Are you saying the Windows installer will not delete partitions as described in the tutorial I linked?

Word Man, Jan 3, 2018
  5. tensone Win User
    Yes,

I tried to delete everything, but was not allowed as it was the 'recovery' - 'system' - 'reserved'- 'Primary - could format'.

This install has been as the link to remove all files etc, and format the primary, but each time the same old desk top image of mine is still there and the same icon switches are greyed and the same for the power button set to shut down which it don't, there are no driver issues shown in device manager.
    thanks
    If its a clean install as the link, why I am having my same personal image on my desktop and icon problems. Tried this now some 5 times.

tensone, Jan 3, 2018
  6. Word Man Win User
    Unless you are creating a bootable Windows install flash drive or CD/DVD and booting from that to do clean install, you are not doing a clean install. Did you execute Step 1, following the link to: Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 to create the install USB?

Word Man, Jan 3, 2018
  7. FreeBooter, Jan 3, 2018
  8. tensone Win User

Yes as Step 1, as I had to properly format (not quick format) the USB before the 32Bit download would commence.

The only thing I do right or wrong, when doing the re-installs I go through troubleshooter to start the installation, not start the tablet with the USB plugged in ready to install.

tensone, Jan 4, 2018
  9. Word Man Win User
    The clean install, along with ability to remove all partitions, needs to be done booted to the installation media, per the Tutorial instructions. I've never done it by any other path and can't recommend an alternative to doing it as outlined in the tutorial.

Word Man, Jan 4, 2018
  10. tensone Win User
    If this causing any problems
    Disk management shows the partition order
    1) 100MB Unallocated
    2) C: 28GB NTFS
    3) 499MB Recovery
    4) 100MB EFI
    5) 202MB Unallocated

Then Diskpart shows- List Partition:
    1) Reserved 16MB 1024 KB Offset
    2) Primary 28GB 117MB Offset
    3) Recovery 499MB 28GB Offset
    4) System 100KB 28GB Offset

Is this a problem where they differ.

tensone, Jan 4, 2018
  11. AddRAM Win User
    You have to boot from the installer to delete all the partitions, if you don`t you are wasting your time *Sad Maybe the thing has a secure boot feature if it has some type of Bios, you need to disable that if it does.

Clean Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

"tried to remove unallocated partitions"

There is no such thing as an unallocated partition, only unallocated space.

AddRAM, Jan 4, 2018
  12. tensone Win User
    This is it,

I've tried booting from the USB and Troubleshooter. The only partition I am allowed to Format is Primary, the others I am not allowed to do anything as the choices are greyed out during the install.

I'll check the BIOS again.

Thanks

tensone, Jan 4, 2018
  13. Cannot format Hard drive to completely install clean Windows

Hi, Are you trying to format the primary partitions or delete all partitions? You need to boot from your flash drive. Select custom install in Setup. Then you need to delete all of the partitions one after the other until all you're left with is Unallocated space. Then you just click on Next. That will give you a clean install with Windows setting up your partitions correctly and formatting them automatically for you

sportsfan148, Jan 4, 2018
  14. tensone Win User
    OK,

Rechecked BIOS, although 'Fast Boot' was disabled found the 'secure boot' was still enabled.

Rebooted from USB and deleted all partitions etc, and re-installed Windows and let it sort the partitions.

Although rechecking the BIOS and nothing has changed as set in order to delete partitions.

Everything is still same with greyed out icon buttons/switches, tablet power button although set to shut down and it don't.
    Everything is still the same including my personal background image still coming up.

thanks

tensone, Jan 4, 2018
  15. zbook New Member
    Please update the system specs in the "My Computer" section:
    How To Fill Out Your System Specs
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums Site Use Tutorials
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.
    After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.
    System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

Please confirm: You were able to delete all partitions > make an unallocated drive > reinstall Windows 10 version 1709
    After the clean install you now have problems related to the prior folders/files?

Please use a camera or smart phone camera to take pictures and post images into thread.
    1) Insert a windows 10 iso version 1709 into any usb port
    2) Turn of wireless, disconnect ethernet/cat5e cable, turn off router if necessary to make sure that there is no connection to the internet
    2) power on and open the boot menu to choose external USB hard drive
    3) allow the windows 10 iso to load, it may take 5 - 10 minutes while viewing the windows icon
    4) choose language, time, currency, and keyboard, then click next
    5) click install > post an image into the thread
    6) delete all partitions again > make an unallocated drive > post an image into the thread
    7) install windows 10 version 1709 without upgrades
    8) If the installation wet smoothly > connect to the internet and perform windows updates
    9) When windows had completed installing and updating open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    10) sfc /scannow
    11) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    12) chkdsk /scan
    13) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > save to desktop > post into the thread after connecting
    14) open disk management > widen each the status and volume columns so that the contents in all rows in view and nothing is cut off > post an image into the thread
    15) If there are any problems with the computer > post images into the thread
    16) For any problems > place the computer in safe mode > see if this corrects the problem
    Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

zbook, Jan 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot format Hard drive to completely install clean Windows - Similar Threads - Cannot format Hard

2. formatting a windows installed hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    formatting a windows installed hard drive: hello,i wanted to ask that how to format a windows installed HDD. I have removed the HDD from an old laptop and I want to wipe everything up including windows and use it as an expansion drive for my new computer. The drive has Windows 10 20h2 installed. Thanks :...
  3. formatting a windows installed hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    formatting a windows installed hard drive: hello,i wanted to ask that how to format a windows installed HDD. I have removed the HDD from an old laptop and I want to wipe everything up including windows and use it as an expansion drive for my new computer. The drive has Windows 10 20h2 installed. Thanks :...
  4. formatting a windows installed hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Cannot Format External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Format External Hard Drive: Not able to format my external hard drive as it says it is write protected, ok fine then maybe I'll try to remove the read only attributes but no no no, when I remove the read only attributes from both my disk and volume of that hard drive as most would suggest. After...
  6. Cannot clean/format spare drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot clean/format spare drive: Last time I opened up my PC, I installed an old ~600 GB HDD from a previous computer. I recently decided (after a headache involving the BIOS deciding it wanted to boot to said drive) to format it, and reclaim that space for my current PC. However, every time I try to get...
  7. Formatting Hard Drives Windows Installation?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Formatting Hard Drives Windows Installation?: Hi. I have four hard drives in my computer. On one is Windows 10 and I want to reinstall the operating system. In the Windows installation manager (when booting from the stick etc.) you can format the hard drives. The only thing is that I have to unplug my remaining 3...
  8. Format complete hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Format complete hard drive: I have a hard drive with an older windows 10 version and some other partitions. I want to totally reformat the drive and reinstall windows 10. The Device Manager will list only the partitions and not the complete drive. Do I have to format it from a dvd or another hard drive...
  9. Clean win10 install with completely formatted SSD

Clean win10 install with completely formatted SSD: Hi to all I have my Acer laptop around 2 months , and now i want to fresh install win 10 What I've done ,I created USB image via Rufus with Win10 home (which I had on my new laptop preinstalled) I writed down my licence key. Ive booted and cleaned SSD completely with new...
  10. Does clean install of Win10 format hard drive?

Does clean install of Win10 format hard drive?: Granted...this may be a dumb question...but I botched the upgrade to Win10 by selecting 32-bit instead of 64-bit. *Redface*cry*Sad I'm planning to do a clean install, from a bootable flash using the Media Creator tool (that includes the Ann. update) I know I'll lose all...