Windows 10: Cannot install W10 Pro (full install) - wants NEW PC

Discus and support Cannot install W10 Pro (full install) - wants NEW PC in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; A little history. I have been a PC owner/user for over 25 years, and have built my own systems from scratch for the last 20 years. I'm currently on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Uncle Bucket, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Cannot install W10 Pro (full install) - wants NEW PC

A little history. I have been a PC owner/user for over 25 years, and have built my own systems from scratch for the last 20 years. I'm currently on the fourth build in my current ATX case. I had been a W2000 user, but had to migrate to Windows 7. I was happy with W7, but upgraded to W10 when the free update was offered.

The problem: I am not happy with W10. It is packed with frills, many of which I could do without, but appears to lack what I truly value - Stability. Every day, I suffer blue screens of death and/or screen freezes, both of which require a reboot. Just recently, Windows 10 triggered a "PC reset" on my system, as a result of which I had to reinstall numerous apps.

So I have decided to take matters into my own hands. I want to install a fresh and full version of W10, and allow whatever cumulative updates are out there to be installed afterwards.

I should mention that I have TWO hard disk drives in my system. Before starting on this project, I used Paragon Software's Hard Disk Manager 15 to migrate my OS into the secondary HDD, which also copied all my data onto that disk, and thus I have two fully operational systems, and can boot from either. I adjust the BIOS settings to decide which HDD to boot from.

I bought the full installation DVD which arrived today, and was looking forward to installing W10 from it. The problem I have is that the Windows installation DVD I bought cannot be used on my system - it says it can only be installed on a "new" PC.

I was looking through this thread on this forum, and I have formed the impression that if I were to delete the partition on my target hard drive, the Windows installer might accept my PC as "new" and allow the installation to go ahead.

The Paragon software I have is able to delete a drive partition. If I simply delete the partition from my spare (target) drive, would I then be able to install this version of Windows from the DVD?

PS my current installation dates back to 2005 - no installation from flash drive possible. Other than that, it's fine.

:)

Uncle Bucket, Jan 17, 2018
  2. Rober194 Win User

Windows 10 Upgraded and Activated

I upgraded from W7 Pro to W10 Pro And it is Activated. I've decided I want to install a new SSD. Will I be able to install the new SSD and install W10 Pro on my New SSD and will it activate?

Rober194, Jan 17, 2018
  3. h4xintls Win User
    Swap W10 licences between 2 computers

I have a new computer with W10 Home installed. My old machine has W10 Pro installed. I have been told I can move the Pro to the new PC. However, I need to have an operating system on the old PC to complete setup of the new one. Is there a way to exchange
    the two operating systems?

Thanks.

h4xintls, Jan 17, 2018
  4. Kari Win User

Cannot install W10 Pro (full install) - wants NEW PC

I am sorry to say this but to pay for that Windows 10 installation DVD is and was completely unnecessay. If you paid one pence, it is one pence too much.

Most probably you have bought a so called OEM installation media, which is only meant to be used on new machines and do not allow license transfer to new hardware. You'll need a Retail install media (Licensing Logic: What's the difference between OEM, Retail and Volume Licenses? - TechNet UK Blog)

What you should do is to download a Windows 10 ISO image and burn it to a DVD. See this tutorial for help: Download Windows 10 ISO File Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Alternatively, in case you have no spare DVD disks you can use this method: Clean Install Windows 10 without DVD or USB Flash Drive Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Because your machine already has licenced Windows 10 installed, it has a digital license. You can wipe all the hard disks clean, clean install Windows 10 and it will automatically activated as soon as you enter desktop and Windows has Internet connection. No product key is required.

Clean install tutorial: Clean Install Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

5. Kiri - thank you for your interest.

I have to tell you now that in the past 20+ years, installing an operating system has been (for me) a simple matter of inserting a disk into a reader, and following some on screen prompts in a process that might take half an hour. I am looking to keep the solution to my current problem as simple as possible, along the lines of previous Windows installations I have done.

Windows on my system has already "reset"/reinstalled itself, but I am not happy with the results, as I still get screen freezes, BSOD, and I have lost all sound output.

I did try the .ISO file option a few days ago - I now have a Windows .ISO file on my system, but when I tried to burn it to DVD, I got that familiar burner speed incompatibility problem, with some very vague suggestion of what remedial steps to take. In fact I've never got that burner to create a DVD, but have been able to burn CDs with it. With the advent of flash drives, this has not been a problem, as flash drives offer a cheap and much more convenient way of transferring substantial amounts of data.

It would appear that the full installation option with an FPP licence key is my last hope. Yes I did look through your installation procedure (third link in your reply post). I know you are appalled that I spent money on the full install disk, but the simple fact is that I could EARN that money in about half the time it would take me to wade through and act upon your somewhat detailed set of steps to install Windows without DVD or USB. But I am afraid that at my time of life, I have neither the time nor the inclination to go down that route!

Quite so, but I don't care about transferring the licence to new hardware. I have only this PC and an Android tablet and phone, and that is the sum total of my computer hardware. I am not running a business.

So, if you or anyone can answer my last question, which was "If I simply delete the partition from my spare (target) drive, would I then be able to install this version of Windows from the DVD?", I will be most grateful!

Uncle Bucket, Jan 18, 2018
  6. Samuria Win User
    You need to just have one drive and wipe all partition do NOT create any more so windows has in effect a new disk it will create whats needed. you could re sell the dvd and use the iso it gives you and option to create usb when you download

Samuria, Jan 18, 2018
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Did you enter the product key that came with the DVD when asked during setup? If you did, try it again but this time click the link on that screen that says I don't have a product key.

NavyLCDR, Jan 18, 2018
  8. Cannot install W10 Pro (full install) - wants NEW PC

That's what I thought. Will the presence of my other HDD cause any problems when installing?

No. The installation stopped as soon as the process detected that mine is not a "new" PC. Why would I not want to enter a product key when I have one supplied on the disk package?

Another problem I have, which may be the cause of others, is that 2017-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x86-based Systems (KB4054517) will not install!

Uncle Bucket, Jan 18, 2018
  9. Samuria Win User
    If it finds any windows it will abort also it can put boot files on the wrong drive if there is a second disk

Samuria, Jan 18, 2018
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Why would you want to waste a new product key on a computer that already has a digital license for Windows 10 established for it?

But it does sound like you are going to need it install it with only one blank hard drive connected.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Cannot install W10 Pro (full install) - wants NEW PC

1. Cannot install W10 Pro (full install) - wants NEW PC - Similar Threads - Cannot install W10

2. New W10 Pro installation locks up.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New W10 Pro installation locks up.: Hi, Running 20H2 build 19042.867 Recently did a complete re installation on a news SSD From time to time it just stops. I have a few DCOM errors but one error pointed to possibly the Windows Driver Foundation so I went hunting. I cannot find WUDFSVC.dll on this...
  3. W10 Pro x64 new install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 Pro x64 new install: Hello, Ive been running W7 on my desktop for the last 10 years and its been running quite flawlessly. Since W7 wont be supported by Jan 2020 I decided that it was time to upgrade to W10 (clean install with a legit license). It went quite smooth and Ive unplug the internet...
  4. Installing W10 Pro on a new computer

Installing W10 Pro on a new computer: I am about to retire my old desktop (W10 Pro Microsoft account) and replace it with a new one. Is there any way I can install version 1809 on the new machine without having to pay extra for an upgrade from Home? I have a bootable 1809 thumb drive from which I assume I can use...
  5. Going Bonkers here - on W10 pro !!! activation wants install W10 pro !

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Going Bonkers here - on W10 pro !!! activation wants install W10 pro !: Hi there anybody know how to fix this Have changed no hardware whatsoever on this machine -- was running perfectly until about an hour ago and then said please activate windows !!!!! here's the screenshot [img] What to do next -- can restore but I'd rather...
  6. I want to tell W10 Pro - to install updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I want to tell W10 Pro - to install updates: I acquired a 64bit desktop PC yesterday (not new). It has a fresh install of W10 Pro 64bit (It was upgraded from a fresh W7 Pro install, 2 days ago). I like to control when things happen on my PC. I have managed to find the setting to prevent automatic install of Windows...
  7. Cannot install TAP software on W10 PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot install TAP software on W10 PC: I am running KIS 2017, have tried installing those VPN software client - I have a NordVPN connection & have also tried installing trials of some other VPN software client. No VPN software can be used to the lack of TAP adapter is not getting installed. I have even tried after...
  8. New install of W10

in Windows 10 Support
    New install of W10: Have just installed Windows 10 dual boot with Windows 7, so it uses Windows 7 credentials. What a pig's ear Microsoft has made of this. Can't install Firefox, can't set up my Hotmail account, can't install Tweekbit, in fact, can't install anything. Keeps wanting me to part...
  9. W10 - cannot install.

W10 - cannot install.: I have a windows 7 home premium PC that performs faultlessly. Just after the W10 upgrade became available - I did install 10, just to have a look at the various features etc. At that stage I decided to return to the Win7 system - which I did with no problem. I now wish to...
  10. New W10 installation

in Windows 10 Support
    New W10 installation: Installed a couple hours ago seems to work quite well, but how do I find my computer as in win 7 , my drives etc??? 13512