Windows 10: Cannot open any Metro apps (incl. PC Settings to restore Windows 7)

Discus and support Cannot open any Metro apps (incl. PC Settings to restore Windows 7) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I just upgraded my laptop (Lenovo Y460p) from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I cannot open any Metro apps, including PC Settings or User Account... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by sparky917, Aug 3, 2015.

1. sparky917 Win User

Cannot open any Metro apps (incl. PC Settings to restore Windows 7)

Hi,

I just upgraded my laptop (Lenovo Y460p) from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I cannot open any Metro apps, including PC Settings or User Account settings. From the start menu when I click on an app, nothing happens. The bad thing is that there is functionality built into these Metro apps that I cannot access from the desktop, primarily reverting back to Windows 7 (which I cannot do because I cannot open Settings).

Also many of the desktop programs crash or will not open e.g. Paint and Snipping Tool so I cannot even take screenshots of what I am seeing!

Is there a way to fix these problems? Or is there any way to trigger reversion back to Windows 7 from the command prompt or control panel? I ran the sfc /scannow command and no errors were detected.

:)

sparky917, Aug 3, 2015

2. Unable to open start menu or right click pinned items on taskbar.

Had the same problem.

Unable to open start menu, metro apps, cortana.

How to create a new user in windows 10 without settings metro app.

Powershell command to re-register apps also didn't work.

Refreshed my pc once. But didn't help.

restored pc to a previous restore point. But didn't help.

How to fix this problem.

Krishna Nand, Aug 3, 2015
  3. Windows 10 fall creators update almost nothing works

Windows 10 fall creators update; cannot open any "metro" component(start, cortana, AC, edge, etc). Can open only some win32 programs like notepad++ and control panel. Not even task manager, msconfig or metro settings
    is opening.

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings]

Ratnasambhav Sahu, Aug 3, 2015
  4. letmein Win User

Press Windows key + X

Click Command Prompt (Admin)

Type in at the prompt OR Copy and Paste

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Then hit Enter

letmein, Aug 3, 2015
  5. sparky917 Win User
    OK I tried this, it returned the following: "Image version 10.0.10240.16384
    No component store corruption detected.
    The operation completed successfully."

sparky917, Aug 3, 2015
  6. letmein Win User
  7. sparky917 Win User
    Also when I try to open some apps like Windows Store, I get an error dialog: "Explorer.EXE - Element not found"

I guess I will have to reinstall Windows 7 from scratch. UGH!

sparky917, Aug 3, 2015
  8. letmein Win User

letmein, Aug 3, 2015
  9. Hamm3r Win User
    you could do this option, which is a bit more indepth to the problem but is what ultimately fixed it for me.
    Locating AppData and Intall Packages.
    Open Start - File Manager - In File Manager locate C:\ - Go To Users - Select your Account Name - In Address Bar add AppData
    Should look like this EX: "C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Local\Packages"
    You will now be able to browse by clicking
    Click Local
    Click Packages
    Click Microsoft.WindowsStore_8wekyb3d8bbwe (or the App you are having problems with)
    Click LocalCache
    Click perUserCache
    Delete all files in that folder except index
    Restart Store, it should load up correctly at this point!

Hamm3r, Aug 3, 2015
  10. sparky917 Win User
    Letmein, thanks a lot for your help.

As a last ditch effort, I booted into safe mode and was able open Metro apps in safe mode. So I went to Settings -> Recovery -> Revert back to Windows 7 and it worked like a charm. Safe mode ftw!

sparky917, Aug 3, 2015
  11. Hamm3r Win User
    You going to try again?

Hamm3r, Aug 3, 2015
  12. letmein Win User
    letmein, Aug 3, 2015
  13. sparky917 Win User

Nope... I'm going to just stick with Windows 7... If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!

sparky917, Aug 3, 2015
  14. Hamm3r Win User
    Alright man, I'll try to be a front runner on getting some of this stuff fixed and pulling members up! I am pretty sure you didn't try to manually clear any kind of Cookie/DataCaches =P Windows 10 is a bit wonky with it right now, but give it time I guarantee it'll be something worth using =P

Hamm3r, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot open any Metro apps (incl. PC Settings to restore Windows 7) - Similar Threads - Cannot open Metro

2. My windows pc cannot open the "settings" app or any app that can configure changes in my pc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My windows pc cannot open the "settings" app or any app that can configure changes in my pc.: I noticed that when i use my microsoft account the settings or any app that can configure changes wont open or start. I have already created a new user account using cmd and works perfectly fine, the same account is also used on my laptop, and also works fine. the only...
  3. My windows pc cannot open the "settings" app or any app that can configure changes in my pc,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My windows pc cannot open the "settings" app or any app that can configure changes in my pc,: I noticed that when i use my microsoft account the settings or any app that can configure changes wont open or start. I have already created a new user account using cmd and works perfectly fine, the same account is also used on my laptop, and also works fine. the only...
  4. My windows pc cannot open the "settings" app or any app that can configure changes in my pc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My windows pc cannot open the "settings" app or any app that can configure changes in my pc.: I noticed that when i use my microsoft account the settings or any app that can configure changes wont open or start. I have already created a new user account using cmd and works perfectly fine, the same account is also used on my laptop, and also works fine. the only...
  5. My windows pc cannot open the "settings" app or any app that can configure changes in my pc,

My windows pc cannot open the "settings" app or any app that can configure changes in my pc,: I noticed that when i use my microsoft account the settings or any app that can configure changes wont open or start. I have already created a new user account using cmd and works perfectly fine, the same account is also used on my laptop, and also works fine. the only...
  6. Cannot open settings app

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot open settings app: Every time I attempt to open the settings app on my PC, I receive an error saying "There’s a problem with Settings. Refreshing your PC might help fix it." I feel like have exhausted every option at this point, please help...
  7. Can't open and Metro style Windows app

Can't open and Metro style Windows app: I seem to have had a major Windows 10 Pro X64 failure. After a couple days of investigation, I'm stumped. -Right now, I can't open and Metro style Windows apps including Settings. -I also can't open "services.msc" (I get a window that says Microsoft Services...
  8. Any way to get metro apps back?

Any way to get metro apps back?: I loved the metro apps, and then Microsoft got rid of them. Is there any way to get those back? 4264
  9. Windows 10 metro apps wont open

Windows 10 metro apps wont open: [img] 21342
  10. Windows 10 Metro UI closes after opening any app.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Metro UI closes after opening any app.: Windows 10 Metro UI closes after opening any app. Start menu properties tab missing from taskbar properties window. Some say it has been removed... some show its usage in configuring Startup? Thank you 20131