Cannot restore default location of Documents folder

Discus and support Cannot restore default location of Documents folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I accidentically set the location of my Documents folder to D:\ and now cannot restore it to C:\Users\MyName\Documents. When I try this I get the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MurakamiFan, Jun 1, 2018.

1. MurakamiFan Win User

I accidentically set the location of my Documents folder to D:\ and now cannot restore it to C:\Users\MyName\Documents. When I try this I get the message "Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under D:\System Volume Information. Access is denied". How can I resolve this?

Furthermore, I have the issue that the original folder C:\Users\MyName\Documents apparently exists, I can read and write files onto it, but it does not show up in Explorer, even when hidden files are selected. Why is this?

:)

MurakamiFan, Jun 1, 2018
  2. Brink Win User

Hello MurakamiFan, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

If you like, you can download and merge the .reg file in step 5 of Option Two in the tutorial below to automatically restore the default location of your Documents folder.

*Arrow Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

Brink, Jun 25, 2018
  3. Prabhavathi Patil Win User
    Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jun 25, 2018
  4. MurakamiFan Win User

I accidentically set the location of my Documents folder to D:\ and now cannot restore it to C:\Users\MyName\Documents. When I try this I get the message "Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under D:\System Volume Information. Access is denied". How can I resolve this?

Furthermore, I have the issue that the original folder C:\Users\MyName\Documents apparently exists, I can read and write files onto it, but it does not show up in Explorer, even when hidden files are selected. Why is this?

MurakamiFan, Jun 25, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot restore default location of Documents folder - Similar Threads - Cannot restore default

2. Cannot uninstall or even open Whatsapp desktop. Windows 10 says that I don´t have rights to...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot uninstall or even open Whatsapp desktop. Windows 10 says that I don´t have rights to...: Cannot uninstall or even open Whatsapp desktop. Windows 10 says that I don´t have rights to do it but I'm the admin. My laptop has only one user account and it´s the administrator, and I´ve installed whatsapp using this account, so I don't understand why I don't have the...
  3. As soon as I open an app with a lower default resolution, a notification appears warning me...

in Windows 10 Customization
    As soon as I open an app with a lower default resolution, a notification appears warning me...: The game Garry's Mod has a very low default resolution of 600 x 400, as it's fairly old. This should be no big deal -- I could just change the resolution to native once I'm in the game. However, as soon as I launch it or switch Windows, a notification pops up telling me that...
  4. Default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default apps by file type: Hello, Most of my programs are not installed in the system, they are what called 'portables'. They are unzipped into a folder (not on "C"), made a shortcut on the desktop and it works fine for me. In the control panel I want to set "Default apps by file type", but when I...
  5. Restore laptop factory settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Restore laptop factory settings: restore factory settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/restore-laptop-factory-settings/3ce2106c-9dc8-4c6e-b2dc-d87236fffd06
  6. Default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Support
    Default apps by file type: Hello, Most of my programs are not installed in the system, they are what called 'portables'. They are unzipped into a folder (not on "C"), made a shortcut on the desktop and it works fine for me. In the control panel I want to set "Default apps by file type", but when I...
  7. Windows 10 Shared Folder Not Showing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Shared Folder Not Showing: I worked around this with a hyperlink on another computer using Windows 10 that I have now deactivated, now have a new computer and am having the same issue. I have used troubleshooters and explored old posts and tried most even going into run - Function Discovery Resource...
  8. Deleted WindowsApps folder and now I cant boot!

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted WindowsApps folder and now I cant boot!: I tried deleting (after copying it to another location) the %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps folder in order to perform a system restore. The restore point gave me an WindowsApps error, so I searched the internet and found several workarounds consisting on deleting or renaming that...
  9. Cannot connect any computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot connect any computers: Ref. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking-winpc/pc-to-pc-network-credentials/910a8184-739d-48ae-bf68-40e8e1dbe22b I still cannot connect to my other computers running the same domain on Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.228] Does not...
  10. Windows 10 Safe Mode - Cannot Log In + Windows 10 Safe Mode + Without Networking

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Safe Mode - Cannot Log In + Windows 10 Safe Mode + Without Networking: Problem I have a Surface Book 2 running Windows 10. It is completely bricked at the moment. I have some files that Edge corrupted when it downloaded them, but will not let me delete. So I quickly looked online and it suggested that I go to systems configuration and...