Windows 10: Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10

Discus and support Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10 How to Restore Default Location of Your Personal Folders in Windows 10 You can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by danw700, Aug 26, 2016.

1. danw700 Win User

Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10

How to: Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10

How to Restore Default Location of Your Personal Folders in Windows 10

You can change the location of the folders in your personal folder (such as Documents and Pictures) by redirecting them. For example, if you have a large number of files in your My Documents folder, you might want to store the files on a different hard drive or on a network to free up space on your primary hard drive.

When you redirect a folder to a new location, you change where the folder, as well as the files in the folder, are stored. However, you'll still be able to access the folder the same way you did before you redirected it.

This tutorial will show you how to restore your personal folders back to the default location in your C:\Users\(user-name) profile folder in Windows 10.

This does not include the OneDrive folder. See this instead: How to Change the Location of your OneDrive Folder in Windows 10

Contents
    • Option One: To Restore Default Location of Your Personal Folders in Properties
    • Option Two: To Restore Default Location of Your Personal Folders using a BAT file

EXAMPLE: Your Personal Folders

Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Restore Default Location of Your Personal Folders in Properties
    1 Open File Explorer, copy and paste shell:UsersFilesFolder into the address bar, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

If you don't see the folder here, then type the shell command below for the folder into the address bar, and press Enter to open the folder no matter where it may be located to find it.

[table][tr][td]Personal Folder[/td] [td]Shell Command[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]3D Objects[/td] [td]shell:3D Objects[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Contacts[/td] [td]shell:Contacts[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Desktop[/td] [td]shellRestore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10 :Desktop[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Documents[/td] [td]shellRestore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10 :personal[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Downloads[/td] [td]shellRestore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10 :Downloads[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Favorites[/td] [td]shell:Favorites[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Links[/td] [td]shell:Links[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Music[/td] [td]shell:My Music[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Pictures[/td] [td]shell:My Pictures[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Saved Games[/td] [td]shell:SavedGames[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Searches[/td] [td]shell:Searches[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Videos[/td] [td]shell:My Video[/td] [/tr] [/table]

2 Right click or press and hold on the personal folder (ex: Pictures) you want to restore the default location for. (see screenshot above)

3 Click/tap on the Location tab, and click/tap on the Restore Default button. (see screenshot below)

4 Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

5 If prompted to create a folder at the default location, click/tap on Yes. (see screenshot below)

6 When prompted to move all files from the old location to the new default location, click/tap on Yes. (see screenshot below)

7 After a few moments the folder's properties will automatically close when successfully moved. (see screenshot below step 4)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Restore Default Location of Your Personal Folders using a BAT file
    1 Do step 2 (3D Objects), step 3 (Contacts), step 4 (Desktop), step 5 (Documents), step 6 (Downloads), step 7 (Favorites), step 8 (Links), step 9 (Music), step 10 (Pictures), step 11 (Saved Games), step 12 (Searches), or step 13 (Videos) below for what personal folder your need to restore the default location of.

2. To Restore Your "3D Objects" Personal Folder Default Location
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 14 below.

Restore_3D-Objects_Default_Location.bat

Download

3. To Restore Your "Contacts" Personal Folder Default Location
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 14 below.

Restore_Contacts_Default_Location.bat

Download

4. To Restore Your "Desktop" Personal Folder Default Location

Restore_Desktop_Default_Location.bat

Download

5. To Restore Your "Documents" Personal Folder Default Location

Restore_Documents_Default_Location.bat

Download

6. To Restore Your "Downloads" Personal Folder Default Location

Restore_Downloads_Default_Location.bat

Download

7. To Restore Your "Favorites" Personal Folder Default Location

Restore_Favorites_Default_Location.bat

Download

8. To Restore Your "Links" Personal Folder Default Location

Restore_Links_Default_Location.bat

Download

9. To Restore Your "Music" Personal Folder Default Location

Restore_Music_Default_Location.bat

Download

10. To Restore Your "Pictures" Personal Folder Default Location

Restore_Pictures_Default_Location.bat

Download

11. To Restore Your "Saved Games" Personal Folder Default Location

Restore_Saved_Games_Default_Location.bat

Download

12. To Restore Your "Searches" Personal Folder Default Location

Restore_Searches_Default_Location.bat

Download

13. To Restore Your "Videos" Personal Folder Default Location

Restore_Videos_Default_Location.bat

Download

14 Save the .bat file to your desktop.

15 Unblock the .bat file, and run the .bat file.

16 You will now notice your screen temporarily go black as a command prompt opens and closes as explorer is restarted to apply the registry changes. (see screenshot below)

17 Copy any files you wanted from the current folder location into the restored default folder location.

18 If you like, you can delete the old folder (not restored default folder).

19 When finished, you can delete the downloaded .bat file(s) if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

danw700, Aug 26, 2016
  2. Missing "Desktp ICON" Windows 10

Hello Tilak,

It appears that you may have mistakenly moved your "C:\Users\<username>\Desktop" folder to the root of your "D" drive.

You can use option 1 in the tutorial below to confirm this, and restore the default location of your Desktop folder.

How to Restore Default Location of Your Personal Folders in Windows 10

Shawn Brink, Aug 26, 2016
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 26, 2016
  4. danw700 Win User
    yes I looked at that but it's a bit complex for me*Smile I only want my data folders not any hidden or system ones - I used to do folder by folder with the Location Tb but was hoping for a BAT file - I/e the reverse of this thread
    cheers Dan

danw700, Aug 26, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 26, 2016
  6. danw700 Win User
    thank for quick reply - I’m used to right click properties Location method - that way all my data is on D; drive and system is on C: drive - I will have to think about some more *Smile I use the format D:\Users|d***\Documents I want to get of the system drive so my ghost images backup & restore faster cheers dan

danw700, Aug 26, 2016
  7. danw700 Win User

QUESTION
    your code
    @echo off
    :: Created by: Shawn Brink
    :: Windows 10 Help Forums
    :: Tutorial: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
    timeout /t 2 /nobreak >nul
    if not exist "%UserProfile%\Contacts" mkdir "%UserProfile%\Contacts"
    reg add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "{56784854-C6CB-462B-8169-88E350ACB882}" /t REG_SZ /d "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Contacts" /f
    reg add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders" /v "{56784854-C6CB-462B-8169-88E350ACB882}" /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d %%USERPROFILE%%"\Contacts" /f
    attrib +r -s -h "%USERPROFILE%\Contacts" /S /D
    timeout /t 1 /nobreak >nul
    start explorer.exe

===============================================

OK - If I just changed

if not exist "%UserProfile%\Contacts" mkdir "%UserProfile%\Contacts"
    to
    if not exist "D:\Users\%USERNAME%\Contacts" mkdir "D:\Users\%USERNAME%\Contacts"

AND

reg add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "{56784854-C6CB-462B-8169-88E350ACB882}" /t REG_SZ /d "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Contacts" /f

TO
    reg add "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" /v "{56784854-C6CB-462B-8169-88E350ACB882}" /t REG_SZ /d "D:\Users\%USERNAME%\Contacts" /f

WOULD THAT WORK?

if it is too complex please just say so *Smile

danw700, Aug 26, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yeah, it would be more complex than just doing that to move them. If you like, you should try the storage location method on one folder to see what you think. If it doesn't meet your needs, then you could set it back to the default "This PC".

Brink, Aug 26, 2016
  9. Jorge6029 Win User
    Hello every one, I'm new here, trying to get some help and to help others. I tried to move my "Downloads" folder from C:/ to a different volume, but when I did it, I didn't select a new folder location, I chose the root E:/ by mistake and now my "Downloads" folder is E:/ and I cannot roll it back, every time I try it, I get a message saying I cannot change a volume location *Sad

Any advice?

Jorge6029, Oct 30, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Jorge, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Are you getting this error message when trying the .reg download in step 5 of OPTION TWO?

Brink, Oct 30, 2016
  11. Jorge6029 Win User
    Hello, and thank you for the quick reply. I already solve my issue, turns out easier than expected. I just needed to select "do not move the files" and all returns to normal

Thanks again!

Jorge6029, Oct 30, 2016
  12. dihrdskr Win User

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I have tried to move the desktop from C drive to D drive on my computer. During the process, stupidly, I failed to create sub folders (i.e d/user/a/desktop) and moved it directly to D drive. Now, anytime I save a file or folder in D drive it shows up on desktop. Tried to restore settings to original path and it gives an error "failed to build list of regular subdirectories under D:\System Volume Information, access is denied error.

Anyway around this without resetting the computer and losing time etc.. Thank you in advance for all the help and advice.
    Ari

dihrdskr, Jan 25, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Ari, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Did you get the error while trying step 3 in OPTION TWO of the tutorial?

If so, manually create a Desktop folder in your "C:\Users\(user-name)" profile folder, and try again. You may need to restart the computer afterwards to apply.

Brink, Jan 25, 2017
  14. dihrdskr Win User
    I downloaded the BAT file but posted first before I did anything. The C drive folder path C:\Users\(user-name)\Desktop" is already there. I will use BAT file and see what happens

dihrdskr, Jan 25, 2017
Thema:

1. Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Restore Default Location

2. Unable to restore default location of Documents.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to restore default location of Documents.: I am using Windows 11 with OneDrive. OneDrive will not allow me restore default location of my documents folder. The only document folder that is available is the one listed in Users/Marc/OneDrive. When I try to restore default location through the properties dialog box, it...
  3. Problem in restoring default location of desktop.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem in restoring default location of desktop.: I have accidentally changed my desktop location in windows 10 to E:drive and I can't able to restore default location. How can I restore default location?...
  4. How to restore default location of Library folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to restore default location of Library folders in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If Windows Library folders are not opening correctly, you can restore the default location of Library folders in Windows 10 with the help of this […] This article How to restore default location of Library folders in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com....
  5. Restore Default Gamebar Capture location

Restore Default Gamebar Capture location: I accidentally deleted the captures folder, and it changed the save location to D:\Videos. This is very annoying as I take many screenshots and clips. Is there anyway to change the save location of captures back to the captures folder?[ATTACH]...
  6. Restoring Default User Folder Locations

Restoring Default User Folder Locations: Hello. A couple weeks ago I did a fresh install of Windows and all my folders are in particular locations across multiple drives. Now, while I was configuring the location of my Downloads folder while formatting my backup/downloads HDD (Seagate BarraCuda), I had temporarily...
  7. restore factory defaults in personalization

in Windows 10 Customization
    restore factory defaults in personalization: What are the default criteria for "Appearance and Personalization" in Control Panel. I need to restore the original values. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-factory-defaults-in-personalization/bc2f5ed9-0e37-479f-b3f2-ffb0ecccadd3
  8. Cannot restore default location of Documents folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot restore default location of Documents folder: I accidentically set the location of my Documents folder to D:\ and now cannot restore it to C:\Users\MyName\Documents. When I try this I get the message "Failed to build the list of regular subdirectories under D:\System Volume Information. Access is denied". How can I...
  9. Modify default folder locations

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Modify default folder locations: My new computer has an SSD drive [C:] and a 1TB hard drive [D:], I'd like to change the default Documents and Pictures folders to the D: drive, is there a registry tweak that will do that? 77511
  10. Restore Default Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Restore Default Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10: How to: Restore Default Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10 How to Restore Default Location of Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10 The Game bar is a Xbox app Game DVR feature that lets you record and share game clips and screenshots in Windows 10....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders /v {56784854-C6CB-462B-8169-88E350ACB882} /t REG_SZ /d C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Contacts /f

2. restore default location of personal folders windows 10

3. restore default documents folders in windows 10