Windows 10: Cannot sign-in with local user, only network account

Discus and support Cannot sign-in with local user, only network account in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I am trying to log-in with a local user but the log-in page only works for a domain, let's call WINDOWS. I've used net user test test /add and net user... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by DisplayNameVM, May 13, 2020.

1. Cannot sign-in with local user, only network account

I am trying to log-in with a local user but the log-in page only works for a domain, let's call WINDOWS. I've used net user test test /add and net user administrators test /add, and the commands work, but I can't see the accounts on startup, and the folders also do not exist. I've used .\test on the log-in screen to show I'm logging in with a local account, but says the password is incorrect, which I ensure you is not. I don't know what to do now. I need help.

:)

DisplayNameVM, May 13, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them

If the local account is the one where you have most of your personal data, this is how I would do it:

• Sign in to your Microsoft account
    • Copy all documents, pictures and other personal data from Microsoft account's user folders to corresponding folders in user Public (contents of MS account Documents folder to Public Documents folder and so on)
    • Sign out from Microsoft account
    Notice that above steps are only required if Microsoft account user folders contain data you want to keep. If its user folders are empty or do not contain anything worth saving, you can skip the above steps. Continue from below.

• Sign in to the local account
    • Delete the Microsoft account (Option One in this tutorial)
    • Switch your local account to a Microsoft account (tutorial)
    • Copy the data backed up from old Microsoft account to Public folders to new Microsoft account in corresponding folders

That's it. Using the Public folders as temporary storage you will have none whatsoever file owner / permission issues later on.

3. "Sign in with local account" button is not working.

Hi,

Failure to sign in to your local account can be related to how the user permission is configured on your device. To effectively assist you with your concern, we'd like to ask the following:

• Which Windows build version is running on your device? Type winver
      in the search box and press Enter to help you identify.
    • Have you made any recent changes on your device prior to your concern?

As an initial step, we suggest that you create a new user and check if you'll be able to sign in to your local account from there. To create a new user, you can follow the steps provided on this

link

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Darwin Dim, May 13, 2020
  4. chideock Win User

Cannot sign-in with local user, only network account

Local Acct user and MS account user - sync them or merge them

Thank you. I will give it a try later today and post my results.

Got to it sooner than I thought.
    Your method worked perfectly.

Thank you

chideock, May 13, 2020
Thema:

Cannot sign-in with local user, only network account

1. Cannot sign-in with local user, only network account - Similar Threads - Cannot sign local

2. Network Computer - Local User Account is not seen in Users folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Computer - Local User Account is not seen in Users folder: I have 2 Windows 10 Pro computers: - one is Surface Pro version 2004 - one is Dell Venue Pro version 20H2 When accessing either computer on the network, the "Users" folder does not show the user's local account. For example: The account "hjhop" is not seen. Same thing...
  3. Cannot set up local user account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot set up local user account: Hello I am simply trying to set up a local user account on my computer for someone who does not have a microsoft account. Unfortunately, when the person tries to sign in, firstly their name does not appear as the other user - only the generic 'other user' account appears....
  4. Local User Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Local User Account: Hi, I have a problem that I cant delete my other local user account, already perform Setting > Account > Family and other user > remove account But still the user appear, appreciate for the help, thanks...
  5. local user account

local user account: how do I access the one that I created https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-user-account/ee6a2922-2dfb-4e0b-9944-70cfa2a5be8d
  6. Local account created but cannot sign in with it

Local account created but cannot sign in with it: Hello, I've created a local account on a computer, but it won't let me sign it. I also tried the changing the password for that user to see if I could around it that way; I got the through the security questions, and tried changing the password, but the new password...
  7. Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?

in Windows 10 Support
    Microsoft Account Sign in or Local Account Sign in?: Hi all, Im curious and interested to know how the rest of Tenforums members sign in to their laptops/PC's? In my case I only have one device with Windows 10..and thats my laptop. My only other device is a Smartphone which is Android. Im always trying to decide which is the...
  8. Local vs Network user accounts

Local vs Network user accounts: I bought a Windows 10 Surface laptop recently from the Microsoft store. The clerk at the store helped me set it up and insisted that I create a network login account which would require that I use my email account to login. The reason she gave was that if my computer ever...
  9. Cannot Sign In to local account

Cannot Sign In to local account: Hi , I'm Used local admin for a while but yesterday i logged in to the ms store and bought some game. Now i notice that my local admin account is now linked to ms account. I have now to enter my ms account password to login , cannot change local admin password,cannot sign...
  10. ONLY USER(local) Password not working. Now cannot sign-in!!

ONLY USER(local) Password not working. Now cannot sign-in!!: So yesterday I restarted my computer after an update and I type in my PIN as usual to login and then I get a message saying "Your password was changed on a different device. You must sign in to this device once with your new password, and then you can sign in with your PIN."...