Windows 10: Cannot switch between accounts

Discus and support Cannot switch between accounts in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi everyone. I have a weird problem on my computer. Windows 10 suddently stopped offering me the possiblility of switching between my accounts. I have... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Gaetch, May 9, 2016.

1. Gaetch Win User

Cannot switch between accounts

Hi everyone. I have a weird problem on my computer. Windows 10 suddently stopped offering me the possiblility of switching between my accounts. I have 2 administrator accounts, one local with no password, and one linked to an outlook account with a password. Before, I could switch either from the start menu or from the logon screen (on the bottom-right corner), now these options are just gone. Now I can only log in with my outlook account by typing my password as before, but I have nowhere to choose the other account and log in with it. All the files are still here, the entry is here in regedit and the option to disable user name (dontdisplaylastusername) is still at 0 as it should be. I don't really know where to look to solve this problem. I have the family edition (not pro). What can I do now?

:)

Gaetch, May 9, 2016

2. Cannot switch between user accounts

Original title: Switch user accounts

I recently added a new local administrator account on my laptop, and i've tried to switch users to the new account i just made and it wont let me switch. It doesn't list the other account when i try to switch users, and it doesnt show up on the lock screen
    like it normally would.

xxBriannamarie, May 9, 2016
  3. Jessen P Win User
    Cannot switch between user accounts

Hi,

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community.

The following issues are checked by the Microsoft Account Troubleshooter
    program:

• Corrupt Microsoft Account settings
    • Can’t connect to the sync service
    • Problems with Microsoft account Policy
    • Microsoft Account required
    • Connection issues due to proxy or certificate issues
    • Check for roaming GPO enabled status
    • Problem with system registration
    • Signed in with a guest account, or Roaming User Profiles enabled
    • You are not connected to the Internet
    • Proxy Settings
    • You have reached your daily sync quote
    • Sync your settings is turned off
    • Check system not activated

Have you tried running the Account Troubleshooter? You can get it here:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/microsoftaccounts.diagcab

Do get back to us for any issues pertaining in the future. We will be happy to help.

Jessen P, May 9, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

davidhk, May 9, 2016
  5. Gaetch Win User
    Options 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6 bring me back to the logon menu where I have only one user available and option 2 is for pro only...

Gaetch, May 9, 2016
  6. Gaetch Win User
    I fiddled with something (enabled safe logon in netplwiz) and now I only got acces to the local account only and not the other one. Everything is there but I still got no way of switching between the accounts...

Gaetch, May 9, 2016
  7. Gaetch Win User
    Is there entries in regedit that can disable the switching mechanism? I really don't know where to look I'm stuck.

Gaetch, May 9, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

Sorry, I have no answer for you.

davidhk, May 9, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    Suggestions :

1. If this issue happens only recently, do a system restore. Pick a date when you were able to switch users as your restore point.
    System Restore Windows 10

2. Do a Repair Install
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade
    Repair Install allows you to keep your files, settings and apps.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot switch between accounts - Similar Threads - Cannot switch between

2. Cannot switch accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot switch accounts: Hi, I deleted one of my old Microsoft accounts and it is still showing up on my computer. Microsoft family features is spamming me with notifications to sign in so I don't "miss out". I added my new account to Email and Accounts and it is not giving me an option to remove my...
  3. Switching between drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Switching between drivers: I have an Oscilloscope/Logicanalyser combo. The problem is that it came with two drivers one for the software for the Oscilloscope and another driver for the software for the Logicanalyser. They both show up as one device. How can i easily switch between he drivers so that...
  4. Cannot switch between Programs on Taskbar in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Cannot switch between Programs on Taskbar in Windows 10: [ATTACH] We all run multiple programs and apps, and it’s important that we be able to switch between them either by clicking on their Taskbar icons or using the usual shortcut Alt+Tab. However, at times, you find that neither of these methods [...] This post Cannot switch...
  5. Cannot switch to local account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot switch to local account: Hello, I am trying to unlink my other microsoft account from my computer but I cannot find "Switch to a local account". I am very confused because in some forums people say there is a button saying "Switch to a local account" but I cannot find it, is this a glitch or can an...
  6. switching between gamertags

in Windows 10 Gaming
    switching between gamertags: I have managed to aquire 3 gamertags. Can I amalgamate them and if not how do I switch gamertag fromthe default one the system uses? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/switching-between-gamertags/6eebb6b5-f66a-43a1-a065-b8dde9290726
  7. Issues switching between user accounts

Issues switching between user accounts: I share my laptop with my wife; I have an admin account and she is a standard user. We have a consistent but intermittent problem switching between user accounts using the fingerprint reader. Most of the time, one swipe of a finger properly changes accounts. At least every...
  8. How to switch between Local and Microsoft accounts in Windows

How to switch between Local and Microsoft accounts in Windows: I have windows 10 Pro, and a Microsoft account, and a local account, How do I switch back and forth easily, without a hassle? When I did that a couple days ago, when I switched back to my local account, it wanted a new user name for the local account, it indicated my original...
  9. Can't switch between user accounts - Windows 10

Can't switch between user accounts - Windows 10: Since yesterday, I'm unable to switch between user accounts. Button changes from white to blue when hovered, but no response to click. Any ideas/suggestions welcome. 39503
  10. Cannot Switch/Create Accounts

Cannot Switch/Create Accounts: Please move this to the correct forum if this thread is not in the correct area. This is from the start, I upgraded to windows 10.Made a microsoft account and used that to login.Then one day it said that my profile is corrupted.I used another admin account I made to use the...