Windows 10: Cannot transfer files from old hard drive to new Win 10 laptop

Discus and support Cannot transfer files from old hard drive to new Win 10 laptop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Win 8.1 HP laptop failed to boot after a recent win 8.1 update and I have purchased a new ASUS x556u running Win 10. I have removed my old hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by aitchies, Aug 17, 2016.

1. aitchies Win User

Cannot transfer files from old hard drive to new Win 10 laptop

My Win 8.1 HP laptop failed to boot after a recent win 8.1 update and I have purchased a new ASUS x556u running Win 10.
    I have removed my old hard drive [Toshiba HDD2L01 MK7575GSX] placed it in a Dynamode USB3-HD2.5S-BN enclosure and attached it to my new laptop. The Asus recognised the drive and shows its volume and the individual folders contained within it but when I try to open the individual files which contain my music and many old photographs they are not there. What has happened and can I retrieve the situation?

:)

aitchies, Aug 17, 2016

2. How to transfer files from old hard drive to new PC

I have a hard drive out of my old laptop running win 7 and now have new laptop with win 10, how can I retrieve any file , ie photos, etc

Original title: file transfer

Chuck and DebbieKorbish, Aug 17, 2016
  3. 365chuck Win User
    Win 10 pro product key

I have an old laptop I got with Win 8.1 then upgraded to Win 10 PRO. The laptop is dying so I bought another new one with Win 10 HOME on it and I want to transfer the product key from the old one to the new one. I do no have an email with the Win 10
    PRO key. Can I find it on the laptop hard drive somewhere?

365chuck, Aug 17, 2016
  4. Cannot transfer files from old hard drive to new Win 10 laptop

Warning:
    Wait for a few members to comment before attempting any HDD fixes.
    Your data might get destroyed if the fixes aren't done correctly.

It's possible that the Hidden file attribute was toggled by something.

Try changing the "Show hidden files, folders, or drives" setting

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9...dows-10-a.html

Go to:File Explorer > View Ribbon > Options button > "Change folder and search options" > (Folder Options window > View tab).
    Click on picture for animation

Cannot transfer files from old hard drive to new Win 10 laptop [​IMG]

Recently I managed to damage the file table on a data drive and Check Disk was able to repair it (mostly).
    I only lost a handful of files.

Drive Error Checking in Windows 10

lehnerus2000, Aug 17, 2016
  5. Whatphoeb Win User
    Whatphoeb, Aug 18, 2016
  6. aitchies Win User
    I tried your solution and it has worked. Thanks a million

aitchies, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Cannot transfer files from old hard drive to new Win 10 laptop

1. Cannot transfer files from old hard drive to new Win 10 laptop - Similar Threads - Cannot transfer files

2. Transfer files from old to new laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer files from old to new laptop: I am wanting to transfer wanted files, documents downloads and else from my old Dell Latitude E7450 damaged but working laptop to my newer Dell Latitude 7490. Is there a smart way to do this besides using a flashdrive and manually loading them onto it and then dropping them...
  3. Transfer files from old to new laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer files from old to new laptop: I am wanting to transfer wanted files, documents downloads and else from my old Dell Latitude E7450 damaged but working laptop to my newer Dell Latitude 7490. Is there a smart way to do this besides using a flashdrive and manually loading them onto it and then dropping them...
  4. Transfer from old to new laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer from old to new laptop: Not sure this is the right forum for this but if not please point me in the right direction. I currently have an 8 year old laptop running Win 10 Pro x 64 and MS Office 2013. It is not capable of running Win 11 when it is released.I am considering the purchase of a new laptop...
  5. How to transfer Files from Old Hard Drive to new Windows 10 computer

in Windows 10 News
    How to transfer Files from Old Hard Drive to new Windows 10 computer: [ATTACH]Any newly purchased PC lets you zip through different tasks quickly and do other […] This article How to transfer Files from Old Hard Drive to new Windows 10 computer first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. Troubling transferring files from old external hard-drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Troubling transferring files from old external hard-drive: Not sure if this is the right place, but dk where else to ask. I got a new external hard-drive and I'm trying to transfer the stuff from my old one, but having a very difficult time. I tried googling my problem and saw others with a similar problem, and apparently there's an...
  7. Transfer settings and files from hard drive to new machine

Transfer settings and files from hard drive to new machine: my mom has an old laptop windows 8, i think(but maybe 7). the battery is no good and the plug for the power cord is broken, so it does not boot. she bought a new one and would like to transfer her settings and files to the new one. my idea is to take the hard drive out of the...
  8. I want to transfer files from my old computer's hard drive to my new compute's hard drive,...

I want to transfer files from my old computer's hard drive to my new compute's hard drive,...: I connected my old hard drive to my new PC. The HDD has two partitions. I can enter into both of them, but when I try to open some of the folders it says "You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder". I...
  9. Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive: Hello, My laptop recently broke that was running Windows 7. I bought a new laptop that is running Windows 10. Since my old laptop would not start, I bought a hard drive enclosure so I could move everything off my old hard drive onto my new one. I am confused with exactly...
  10. Transfer Win 10 (free upgrade from win 8) to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Win 10 (free upgrade from win 8) to a new hard drive: I'm upgrading my brothers PC from a decently bad OEM computer, but as recompense, I'm taking his 1 tb drive, and I want to transfer everything to a 320gb drive. However, the windows 10 on his computer is from the free upgrade promotion a while back, the computer originally...