Windows 10: Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives in Windows 10

Discus and support Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives in Windows 10 How to Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives in Windows 10 [img] Information... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by febsr, Sep 15, 2016.

1. febsr Win User

Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives in Windows 10

How to: Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives in Windows 10

How to Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives in Windows 10

Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Hidden files, folders, and drives do not show by default in Windows. Windows protected system files (ex: desktop.ini files) are hidden by default. You can also manually hide a file or folder by setting its hidden attribute.

It's recommended to not modify or delete hidden files since these are usually app and system files, and is why they do not show in File Explorer by default.

When you set to show hidden files, folders, and drives, they will appear dimmed to indicate that they are hidden items.

This tutorial will show you how to show or don't show hidden files, folders, and drives for your account in Windows 10.

Tip If you want an empty CD/DVD drive to show in the navigation pane, you'll need to set show empty drives below, and set to show all folders in the navigation pane.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Hide or Show Hidden Files in File Explorer Options
    • Option Two: To Hide or Show Hidden Files in File Explorer Ribbon
    • Option Three: To Hide or Show Hidden Files using a BAT file

EXAMPLE: Hidden (dimmed) files set to show in File Explorer

OPTION ONE [/i] To Hide or Show Hidden Files in File Explorer Options
    1. Open File Explorer Options.

2. Do step 3, step 4, step 5, or step 6 below for what you would like to do.

3. To show hidden files, folders, and drives
    A) In the View tab, select (dot) Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

4. To don't show hidden files, folders, and drives
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) In the View tab, select (dot) Don't show hidden files, folders, and drives, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

5. To show protected operating system files
    A) In the View tab, select (dot) Show hidden files, folders, and drives, uncheck the Hide protected operating system files box, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

6. To hide protected operating system files
    A) In the View tab, check the Hide protected operating system files box, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Hide or Show Hidden Files in File Explorer Ribbon

Note This option will allow you to quickly toggle to hide or show whatever you have set from Option One above.

1. While you have File Explorer open, click/tap on the View tab, and check (show) or uncheck (hide) the Hidden items box in the ribbon for what you want. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Hide or Show Hidden Files using a BAT file

Note The .bat files below are for changing the DWORD values in the registry key below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Hidden DWORD

0 = Don't show hidden files, folders, and drives
    1 = Show hidden files, folders, and drives

ShowSuperHidden DWORD

0 = Hide protected operating system files
    1 = Show protected operating system files

1. Do step 2, step 3, step 4, or step 5 below for what you would like to do.

2. To show hidden files, folders, and drives
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 6 below.

Show_hidden_files_folders_and_drives.bat

Download

3. To don't show hidden files, folders, and drives
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the BAT file below, and go to step 6 below.

Don't_show_hidden_files_folders_and_drives.bat

Download

4. To hide protected operating system files

Hide_protected_operating_system_files.bat

Download

5. To show protected operating system files
    NOTE: This also does step 2 above.

Show_protected_operating_system_files.bat

Download
    6. Save the .bat file to your desktop, and run the .bat file.

7. If prompted, click/tap on Run to approve.
    NOTE: If you like, you can unblock the .bat file to stop getting the Run prompt.

8. You will now notice your screen flicker and a command prompt quickly open and close as explorer is restarted to apply the registry changes.

9. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .bat file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

febsr, Sep 15, 2016
  2. Can't see hidden files on a USB drive on a Windows 10 computer, even with show hidden files box checked

This problem continues to persist. This is any USB drive on any Windows 10 computer will not show hidden files and folders. As mentioned I have the show hidden files check box checked. This is a Windows 10 Bug.

Joseph A. Williams, Sep 15, 2016
  3. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello febsr, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

This tutorial wouldn't apply to your issue.

Do you mean the DVD drive doesn't show in "This PC" or navigation pane when empty?

The DVD drive should show in "This PC".

Using the tutorial below to show drives in the navigation pane may help, but the DVD drive will only show up when something is in it.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Sep 15, 2016
  4. none of the above fixes the issue for me. "show hidden files, folders, and drives" won't stay ticked and "hide protected operating system files" won't stay unchecked. i had i program that worked like a charm but i can't fine it new. any ideas and or suggestions?

ChaChaLaBoom, May 6, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello ChaChaLaBoom, *Smile

After you set them how you like in Folder Options and click/tap on Apply, when do they revert back on you?

Do you have any 3rd party tweaking program installed that could be overriding these settings?

Brink, May 6, 2017
  6. no and i've already done a thorough virus and malware scan

7. Brink
    Brink New Member

After you set them how you like in Folder Options and click/tap on Apply, when do they revert back on you?

Brink, May 6, 2017
  8. i tick show hidden files, and uncheck hide protected then click apply, ok and nothing changes even after a refresh

9. hey if you're still looking for a solution looks like i found one. at least one that works for me. in another thread here a member suggested disabling bitdefender and changing the settings, so i went into safemode, set them, and once in windows they held. i'm posting to say thanks for attempting to help, and for other to maybe see this if they run across the issue.

10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news. Thank you for posting back with your findings. *Party

Brink, May 6, 2017
  11. Florio Win User
    Hi Brink,

I've discovered that lately (probably due to the latest Windows 10 updates), the only way to get my DVD drive to appear in File Manager (This PC) is to go into 'View' and choose 'Show All Folders'.

The problem is that this then reveals some other folders (Control Panel, Libraries, and User) that I would like to keep hidden. I've seen your tutorials for hiding/showing the various folders in File Manager, but if I hide them, then my DVD drive is hidden as well. Do you have a work around for this?

Thanks a lot,

Florio, Feb 2, 2018
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Florio, *Smile

Does the DVD drive stay hidden only when empty?

Does it show when you have a disc in the DVD drive?

Brink, Feb 2, 2018
  13. Florio Win User
    Yes, Brink. I just checked.

If I untick 'Show all Folders' while there is a disc in the drive, then the drive remains visibile. Is that 'standard behaviour' now as far as DVD drives in Windows 10 are concerned? I remember that once upon a time, DVD drives were just not hidden.

Florio, Feb 2, 2018
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Show Hidden Files

2. Hidden folders but not showing under hidden options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hidden folders but not showing under hidden options: HiI am running Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22635.2419 , after 24hrs my folder where I store my videos got deleted and not showing under hidden files .My drive is still being used up by the folder but still cannot see it and doubled checked this on Wiztree application and...
  3. Hidden folders but not showing under hidden options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hidden folders but not showing under hidden options: HiI am running Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22635.2419 , after 24hrs my folder where I store my videos got deleted and not showing under hidden files .My drive is still being used up by the folder but still cannot see it and doubled checked this on Wiztree application and...
  4. Hide files/folder from "Show hidden files"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hide files/folder from "Show hidden files": I want to copy make media file to a usb stick. And use android device to run those media But i dont wanna my file being copy easily So i wanna ask if there is a way to hide file/folder from normal "Show hidden files" setting in file explorer Back to around 2012 i remember...
  5. Files Added to Hidden Folder Are Not Automatically Hidden

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files Added to Hidden Folder Are Not Automatically Hidden: Hello,I have a situation where files that are newly added to a hidden folder which is temporarily unhidden so I can access it do not inherit the hidden property of the folder. In other words, the files are not automatically hidden. These files still show up in the Quick...
  6. Files Added to Hidden Folder Are Not Automatically Hidden

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files Added to Hidden Folder Are Not Automatically Hidden: Hello,I have a situation where files that are newly added to a hidden folder which is temporarily unhidden so I can access it do not inherit the hidden property of the folder. In other words, the files are not automatically hidden. These files still show up in the Quick...
  7. USB drive not showing files and folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    USB drive not showing files and folders in Windows 10: [ATTACH]For some users, although their USB consumes a large chunk of memory space, it […] This article USB drive not showing files and folders in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Can show hidden files but not empty drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can show hidden files but not empty drives?: Hello, first sorry im not speak english. Is possible show hidden folder and files but hide empty drives? I need if is possible, view folders, and files hidden. But i have a card reader and in the explorar show all units even empty units. It's quite annoying. I have...
  9. Folders and files are showing as hidden after 1803 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders and files are showing as hidden after 1803 update: I have recently updated to win10 1803 and since then my This PC - Quick Access and Libraries folders icons are all greyed out and when I check properties they are showing as hidden. I have so many of them - do I have to change every folder individually? I also seem to have...
  10. Show Hidden Files And Folders Error

in Windows 10 Support
    Show Hidden Files And Folders Error: Hi, I haven't updated anything today, but now when I go into Control Panel>Appearance And Personalisation>Show Hidden Files And Folders, I just get a beep and then get taken back to the desktop, with nothing happening. Other options in Control Panel seem to be fine. Has...