Windows 10: Cannot upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 - "unknown error"

Discus and support Cannot upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 - "unknown error" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10. Before proceeding I installed all the required Win 7 updates, then attempted to install Win 10. However... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ferrad, Mar 14, 2016.

1. ferrad Win User

Cannot upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 - "unknown error"

I am trying to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10. Before proceeding I installed all the required Win 7 updates, then attempted to install Win 10. However every time I try I get:
    "Code 80070780 Windows Update encountered an unknown error."
    See attached screen captures.
    "Get help with this error" is not helpful. I've clicked "Try again" 4 times now, always the same problem.
    Any ideas?

:)

ferrad, Mar 14, 2016
  2. Larry StL Win User

Win 7 Pro SP1 restore

Is Win 10 a "permanent" upgrade or can Win 7 be restored if Win 10 is not acceptable? And, if Win 7 cannot be restored, can Win 10 be installed on a 2nd bootable drive so Win 7 would not be lost?

Larry StL, Mar 14, 2016
  3. NML CS Win User
    Why does Windows 10 fail to upgrade my Win 7 Home Premium install on my HP G62?

The Win 10 upgrade has failed twice now, despite having all the necessary hardware requirements and free hard disk space. The install reverts back to the Win 7 home premium with an "unknown error" given as cause for install failure. What is the cause
    of this? What can I do to fix it?

NML CS, Mar 14, 2016
  4. Barman58 Win User

Barman58, Mar 14, 2016
  5. ferrad Win User
    I downloaded the ISO file and burned to a DVD, then ran the setup. All seemed to progressing until I got the attached popup.
    Cannot upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 - "unknown error" [​IMG]

ferrad, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cannot upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 - "unknown error" - Similar Threads - Cannot upgrade unknown

2. Restore After Upgrade From Win 7 To Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore After Upgrade From Win 7 To Win 10: The question is about performing a system restore after upgrading to Windows 10 from 7. If one: Upgrades to Windows 10 THEN performs a system restore ... will the system restore with Windows 10 or will it revert back to an earlier version, in this case Win 7? If it...
  3. BSOD after upgrade from win 7 to win 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after upgrade from win 7 to win 10: I have a pc I built myself that's been running on windows 7 without any issues whatsoever. I've left this pc on for a week at a time without a bluescreen or even shutdowns. Ever since I've upgraded to windows 10, I've been getting store exception errors every day or two....
  4. Upgraded from Win 7

Upgraded from Win 7: I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 via the free upgrade a few years ago. Do I need to keep my original Win 7 installation disks & Product key? 131586
  5. Win 7 upgrade to Win 10

Win 7 upgrade to Win 10: I currently have windows 7 and just found out I was to get a free upgrade to Window 10. How do I acquire it please? * Moved from Insider https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-upgrade-to-win-10/660e7921-eca1-4cde-be15-203ea0536f50
  6. Win 10 a "refresh" or an "upgrade" from Win 7 and Win 8?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 a "refresh" or an "upgrade" from Win 7 and Win 8?: I have been under the impression that Win 10 may be like an upgrade so you don't have to re-install all your desktop programs. If it is a "refresh" what a pain *Sad If it is an upgrade will it kill Windows Media Center or might it actually survive to run in Win 10? 5917
  7. Upgrade from Win 7 to 10 fails with no error

Upgrade from Win 7 to 10 fails with no error: Hi guys I have been trying to upgrade 7pro for a day or so with no luck. First of all I tried the 'get windows 10 app' this tells me a update (KB2952664) is not installed. It was showing as failed in my update long but has since installed ok. However the app still says its...
  8. upgrade win.7 to win 10

upgrade win.7 to win 10: I have 2 win 7 home that I upgraded to win 10 in my house they are fine But I have a win.7 home 32 bit in my shop out back i decided 2 days ago to upgrade it to windows 10 with media creation tool everything is working fine but I still don't have ver 1511 10586.36 I am...
  9. Upgrading from Win 7 directly to Win 10 RTM

Upgrading from Win 7 directly to Win 10 RTM: With all the information regarding upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 RTM I would have thought I could find something that would show me how to upgrade my Win 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 RTM. I could not sort it out. I have Win 7 Home Premium installed and have looked...
  10. Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10: My Gateway laptop has Win7 Sp1 64bit installed. I've tried 5 different times to upgrade to 10. Using the 64bit creative tool the download goes great, completes and the install starts, then says "failed in first boot phase with an error during SYSPREP operation." Also shows...