Windows 10: Can't boot x64 Win10 setup from USB or DVD

Discus and support Can't boot x64 Win10 setup from USB or DVD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Trying to do a clean install booting from DVD or USB created w Media Creation Tool: Windows 7 x86 and x64 boots from DVD or USB Windows 10 x86,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DoItJust, Aug 22, 2015.

1. DoItJust Win User

Can't boot x64 Win10 setup from USB or DVD

Trying to do a clean install booting from DVD or USB created w Media Creation Tool:

Windows 7 x86 and x64 boots from DVD or USB
    Windows 10 x86, boots from DVD or USB.

Windows 10 x64, from DVD loads the blue window and then nothing more. Have to switch off/on to get out of it. From USB - nothing, just blank, some HD activity and then nothing, ctrl/Alt/Del restarts

:)

DoItJust, Aug 22, 2015

2. Missing Music Files From PC - Windows 10 - Random

Since you have files you want to save, if I was in your place I'd boot from a Linux LiveUSB/DVD and copy all the data out to an external drive, then delete all the partitions. Subsequently booting from the Win10 Setup USB/DVD should work.

RobertJWin, Aug 22, 2015
  3. Removing Windows 7 from dual boot with Windows 10

Ok, so the 78GB Win7 one is the system partition. Well, you can try booting from a Win10 USB or DVD and deleting the Win7 partition with diskpart. After that you can run Startup Repair from the same setup media and hopefully Win10 will boot properly even
    though it's installed on a logical and not a primary partition.

RobertJWin, Aug 22, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello DoItJust, *Smile

If you haven't already, you might see if you may be able to boot to advanced startup from within Windows 10, select the Use a device option, and select your connected DVD or USB to boot from.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Aug 22, 2015
  5. DoItJust Win User
    Thank you, will try as soon as I get to my rigg. However, still curious why I can't boot the way it's always been before. Will post back.

DoItJust, Aug 22, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    One possibility is if you have "Fast Boot" enabled in your UEFI firmware, it'll prevent you from being able to normally access the boot menu at startup.

Brink, Aug 22, 2015
  7. DoItJust Win User
    *Smile
    I have an old system, BIOS is from 2004, thus no UEFI ...

Just looked at the Advanced Startup Options; "Use a device" and "Use another operating system" are not listed.
    I guess the "Use a device" requires a modern UEFI enabled board and "Use another operating system" requires a dual boot system

Why does it boot from a 32-bit disk but not from a 64-bit?
    Win7 boots both*sarc

DoItJust, Aug 22, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Just to verify, did you create a Legacy BIOS Windows 10 USB, and not a UEFI USB?

Brink, Aug 22, 2015
  9. DoItJust Win User
    I used the Media Creation Tool from MS to create both the x86 and x64 installation disks/USBs. In none of the four cases I've been given the option to select legacy/UEFI. Just create ISO or create USB.
    Thanks for trying to help!

DoItJust, Aug 22, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 22, 2015
  11. DoItJust Win User
    Yes I have a 64-bit system, as stated earlier, Win7 x64 boots perfectly well. As did XP x64 *Smile
    I have also already tried the rufus tool on a 64-bit ISO image. The resulting USB stick works (not) exactly as a USB stick created with MS MCT

DoItJust, Aug 22, 2015
  12. Bozislaw Win User
    Hello friends,
    I have exactly same problem with "DoItJust". I have succesfully upgraded from 32bit win7pro and activated. My custom computer is also old, from 2005. After upgraded, my computer got too slow. And decided to clean install but this time 64 bit, and English language and via Media Creation Tool, I created bootable USB (didn't work) then bootable DVD (still didn't work). By the way I checked that my processor is 64 bit compatible but I doubt about UEFI, probably my MB NOT compatible with UEFI.
    After booting from created media (I have tried both), blue windows appears on black background but NO rounding dots; the leds (on the USB's/DVD recorder's) were blimping, after 7-8 seconds everything stops, all leds going black, NO error messages, nothing. Everything stops forever and nothing works (even ctrl+alt+delete). I have tried several times. Then I have read an article and delete windows.old, windows.bt and windows.ws folders from my C dir, nothing changed, still same. I'm desparately looking for help. The only related message is yours dear "DoItJust". and I hope you already have solved this problem and help me. Thanks in advance and sorry for my english.

Bozislaw, Dec 3, 2015
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Are you running on the most current bios version available for your computers?

NavyLCDR, Dec 3, 2015
  14. DoItJust Win User
    Sorry, I didn't solve it. No way to install 64 bit Win10, and 32 bit misbehaved really bad (whea_uncorrectable error).
    I'm running 64 bit Win7 and have blocket MS attempts to upgrade to Win10.

DoItJust, Dec 3, 2015
  15. Bozislaw Win User
    Sorry to hear that *Sad I was hopeful that you already solved it. I will keep searching and if I found a solution I will let you know too.

Bozislaw, Dec 3, 2015
Thema:

1. Can't boot x64 Win10 setup from USB or DVD - Similar Threads - Can't boot x64

2. Can't Boot From Windows 10 Install from USB/DVD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't Boot From Windows 10 Install from USB/DVD: Hi all, I currently have the "Your PC needs to be repaired" error so I'm trying to reinstall windows 10 completely. I used Microsoft's bootable media to create both a bootable USB and DVD (I also tried using Rufus to format it) but both don't seem to boot properly. When I...
  3. Trying to install Win10 on PC that can't boot from USB.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to install Win10 on PC that can't boot from USB.: I am trying to install a fresh copy of Windows 10. The PC does not have a BIOS option to use a USB device to boot from (I have the most current BIOS version). I downloaded the Windows Media Creation Tool (MediaCreationTool20H2) and it will only make a singe ISO image that is...
  4. Load Win10 on a USB and boot from it?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Load Win10 on a USB and boot from it?: Folks, I'm trying to do some troubleshooting with my current install of Win10. I've been told that booting from a USB would narrow down my issue. I see tutorials about how to download the Win10 iso onto a USB to install it from that usb. That is NOT what I want to do. I...
  5. Booting from USB stick or DVD

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Booting from USB stick or DVD: Imagine a computer where W10 is running on an SSD. I have a USB stick and/or a DVD which contain a bootable version of W10 (probably made from Microsoft's Media Creation Tool). After a fault, the plan is that after tickling F12 (in my case) the above bootable version could be...
  6. Stuck at splash screen, can't boot from USB or DVD

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck at splash screen, can't boot from USB or DVD: Symptoms: Windows infinite circle of dots when booting. (PC was a fresh install months ago, and was working fine until returning from vacation). Hard drive light goes solid during attempts to boot (during splash screen). Diagnostic repair begins to load, but never...
  7. Can't boot from usb dvd

Can't boot from usb dvd: Hi Roomies @, I just upgrade to Win 10 PRO 1511 on my Lenovo laptop and burned a win 10 pro DVD. I would like to do a clean install but I'm not able to find my DVD drive on Bios or boot manager. Can someone please help me? Here are some images . [img] [img] [img]...
  8. Boot From USB/DVD

Boot From USB/DVD: I am so confused I don't know whether I'm coming or going. I want to install/dual boot Windows 10 with Windows 8, but with the tutorial, there's so much Win 7/Win 8, 8.1 included that I'm crosseyed! HP Pavilion g Series Windows 8.1 Pro laptop with BIOS, not UEFI. I want...
  9. x64 DVD Won’t boot

x64 DVD Won’t boot: My system has 2 Xeon 64-bit processors. I wish I could switch to 64 bits and use my 4 Gb of RAM. I upgraded the BIOS to the latest (2007). [img] I checked the requirements given here: How to Upgrade from 32-Bit to 64-Bit in Windows 10 [img] CPU-Z does not...
  10. Can't access BIOS, Can't boot from USB/DVD

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't access BIOS, Can't boot from USB/DVD: Hi My problem is that I can't access UEFI Firmware settings or Boot from USB/DVD in the Advanced startup. They are missing. What can I do? I want to go back to windows 8.1 (Don't have windows.old folder), but it gives me an error when I install it when windows is running....