Windows 10: Can't change "Default apps" anymore!

Discus and support Can't change "Default apps" anymore! in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Since a time ago I can't change the default apps from Start > Settings > System > Default apps [img] Is there a fix for this bug? 46507 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Awesoft, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Awesoft Win User

Can't change "Default apps" anymore!

Since a time ago I can't change the default apps from Start > Settings > System > Default apps

Can't change "Default apps" anymore! [​IMG]

Is there a fix for this bug?

:)

Awesoft, Apr 6, 2016
  2. musum Win User

" SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Apr 6, 2016
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

i have installed windows xp sp2

previously i was using windows media center i thought i might b facing this probs due to that but then i changed it to windows xp ! n moreover i have also shown to nokia service center executives but they were not having the latest updates available ......
    my pc suite is showing that new update version of firmware is available but i cudnt download it Can't change "Default apps" anymore! :(

oh gawd wat to do ? Can't change "Default apps" anymore! :(

i tried in another pc then again i got an error u need to have minimum 256 ram Can't change "Default apps" anymore! :(

please cant it b rectified ? there must b any solution to this probs please help me guyz

god bless all of u thanx Can't change "Default apps" anymore! :)

musum, Apr 6, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Which app do you want to change or set as default ?

davidhk, Apr 6, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    Meanwhile, if this problem is NOT too long ago, and if you do remember a date you did not have this problem, please do a system restore.
    Pick a date when you did NOT have this problem as your restore point.
    System Restore Windows 10

davidhk, Apr 6, 2016
  6. Awesoft Win User
    All of them... I choose another app but doesn't change it.
    In my other PC's I don't have this problem.

Awesoft, Apr 6, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    This may not solve all your problems.
    In Windows Vista and Windows 7, we have this method to set default programs.........
    You can still use it in Windows 10.

Right click at Start button > click Control Panel > top right, click View by: > select small or large > click Default Programs > click set your default programs > wait for loading > left side, click at the program you want to set as default > right side, click Set this program as default > click OK when done.

davidhk, Apr 6, 2016
  8. Awesoft Win User

From Windows 10 menu I have a similar option (Choose default apps by file type)... and it works.

What I would like to know is how to fix the bug from "Default apps" main menu.
    Thank you for your help.

Awesoft, Apr 6, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    Suggestion only :

System file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found...................
    Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
    If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
    If the report is #3, use this method listed below................
    In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.
    Again it will take some time.
    When finished, it will give you a report.

davidhk, Apr 6, 2016
  10. Awesoft Win User
    I tried sfc & dism commands... no problems found.
    I'll wait for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update and I'll install the ISO.

Awesoft, Apr 6, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    Would you care to download 10586 ISO and do a Repair Install ?

Tech Bench link for Windows 10, 10586 iso file
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...brrWLRbagYCa0w

After iso is downloaded, right click at it > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
    Installation will begin.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic.

davidhk, Apr 6, 2016
  12. Awesoft Win User
    For that reason I'll wait for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update that surely will come integrated into a Windows 10 ISO.

Awesoft, Apr 6, 2016
  13. Can't change "Default apps" anymore!

I have the same issue, started a few days ago. In control panel set associations, I see many "unknown application" listings for current default, even for extensions like .xlsm, a macro enabled Excel worksheet. When I try and change, I get a "would you like to go to the apps store?" prompt. What is this besides ridiculous. What has MS done?

ishoottrap, Apr 12, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    Hi, just a little clarification... first this is what I see as an example:

Now if Irfanview was not installed, I guess I'd see the same as you.

So have you tried clicking on More Apps?
    - is that visible to you?
    - if not, sthg is broken

(my xlsm is already associated so I'm not using that here)

For other unassociated extensions, do you ever get something listed where Irfanview is shown?

In general MS's idea is - of course- to prompt you
    a. to go to the store which delivers programs which should be clean and compatible, and retained if yuo do a Refresh (others aren't).
    b. possibly buy an app/program (commercial incentive)
    c. potentially make it easier (??) to find what you need.

Otherwise you'd have to go looking in the traditional way.
    I understand this is how a well-known competitor does it - via their equivalent of the store.

dalchina, Apr 12, 2016
  15. Can't change "Default apps" anymore! [​IMG]

That was an egregious example, something systemic seems to be wrong as this list of "apps" doesn't even include Excel. Other office tools are there, PowerPoint, Word, etc. but no Excel.

ishoottrap, Apr 12, 2016
Thema:

1. Can't change "Default apps" anymore! - Similar Threads - Can't change Default

2. change "default app"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change "default app": I have just bought a new computer and moved from Win10 to Win11.I used a program on the Win10 D: drive, which when moved to the new computer became the Win11 G: drive. The program's data file contains much of the license data used to reinstall the programs in the old Win10...
  3. change "default app"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change "default app": I have just bought a new computer and moved from Win10 to Win11.I used a program on the Win10 D: drive, which when moved to the new computer became the Win11 G: drive. The program's data file contains much of the license data used to reinstall the programs in the old Win10...
  4. Can't change default apps location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't change default apps location: Trying to download games from xbox game pass, horrendously designed and it needs me to change my default apps saving point for some reason cause you're still living in 2003, won't let me do that just keep getting these errors [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  5. Change to NO default App

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change to NO default App: for HTT files windows has Robohelp as the default program. I did this. I want to change it to NOTHING. I don't want windows to choose any app for HTT file types. Currently when in Robohelp, if I try to open an .htt file, windows opens a new instance of the application....
  6. Can't Change Default App For PDF

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Change Default App For PDF: I have tried everything I found online about this & Windows still will not let me change the default app for opening pdf files. I want to use Libre Office Draw but it is not on the list of options. They want me to choose an app from the Windows store. It does not give me an...
  7. changing default apps

changing default apps: I cannot change twinui as default app for videos or photos I turned off screen lock and now I can change default to playing music but when I try change default app for photos or videos the window just closes...
  8. Default App Can't Change

Default App Can't Change: Recently I have some .swf files in my computer, and currently it can be played with GOM Player. Now, I wanted to change the default app for opening the swf files, to Adobe Flash Player, that was part of Adobe Animate. But strangely, it won't allow me to change at all - it...
  9. Can't Change Default Apps On Windows 10

Can't Change Default Apps On Windows 10: I've installed Media Player Classic on my computer and I can't set it as my default video player. I right clicked on a video file and clicked on properties and selected Media Player Classic as the program that file type should open with. But after selecting it, the default...
  10. I can't change the default app for a type

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I can't change the default app for a type: I can't change the default app of type .hdl files from notepad++ to visual studio code (not the one from the store, and I have no intends of downloading that one) using settings. I have tried the DISM system repair and it didn't help. I cannot change the default apps from the...