Windows 10: Can't change the "New documents will save to" option

Discus and support Can't change the "New documents will save to" option in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I've observed a strange behavior on my laptop since a couple of days. Suddenly I realized that all my Documents were not being saved in my user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mikolajek, Jan 10, 2017.

1. mikolajek Win User

Can't change the "New documents will save to" option

Hi, I've observed a strange behavior on my laptop since a couple of days. Suddenly I realized that all my Documents were not being saved in my user profile folder but to OneDrive instead. This has been caused by some of OneDrive updates, I'm pretty sure, as previously my docs had for sure been saved on my C drive.

Regardless, I can't do either of two things:
    - manually change My Documents path in folder properties,
    - switch the option "New documents will save to:" in Settings/System/Storage - the option is active but each time I hit "Apply" it reverts back to OneDrive.

I even tried to manually change the folder location (User Shell Folders key) in the registry, but it doesn't work either...

Any suggestions how to force it?

:)

mikolajek, Jan 10, 2017

2. Home Group Problems

I have a document in a folder in Home Group. When I open the document and make changes, it doesn't allow me to save it. It reads and error message that states: "We can't save because the file is read-only. To keep your changes, you'll need to save the
    workbook with a new name or in a different location." What steps do I need to take on the opposite computer to give my computer access to save the document in the home group?

ellcer0233, Jan 10, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Home - now can't save any new document

Recent updates applied - now can't save new or edit and "Save as" documents (Word or PDF) - get a message "There are no more files" - any help appreciated

KathrynParfett, Jan 10, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Jan 10, 2017
Thema:

1. Can't change the "New documents will save to" option - Similar Threads - Can't change documents

2. can't find saved documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't find saved documents: My computer is about 15 months old with Office Home and Student and was a warranty replacement. I was able to transfer data from the old to the new and this worked well until recently. Several weeks ago I transferred to Windows 11 - no problem. I have now found nearly all my...
  3. can't find saved documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't find saved documents: My computer is about 15 months old with Office Home and Student and was a warranty replacement. I was able to transfer data from the old to the new and this worked well until recently. Several weeks ago I transferred to Windows 11 - no problem. I have now found nearly all my...
  4. Can't change where new content is saved

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change where new content is saved: Hello, I'm trying to change where new content is saved in Windows settings > Storage > Advanced storage settings. The only option is drive C. I have 2 more partitions drive F and E. All are formatted in NFTS. I also can't change installation drive in Xbox app....
  5. Can't change where new content is saved .

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can't change where new content is saved .: When im trying to change where new apps will save on disk D: , it just says " We couldn't set your default save location The operation did not complete successfully . try again in a bit. The error code is 0x80070005 , in case you need it" And when im trying to install a...
  6. Can't change where new apps are saved

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't change where new apps are saved: [ATTACH] The title says it all. Please microsoft do something about it? Bassicly says here that this disk has other apps from another device. To use this disk the other apps need to be deleted first. Continue? If i hit yes this other error pops up. It says that it cant...
  7. Can't "Change Where New Content is Saved"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't "Change Where New Content is Saved": I've been trying to set a default for where my Windows 10 saves new content. I went to Start > Settings > System > Storage > Change Where New Content is Saved, but when I click on the dialog box below "New documents will be saved to:" the only option is This PC C:. Am I...
  8. Can't change where new apps are saved

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't change where new apps are saved: Brief backstory (just in case it's relevant). I recently got a new PC, with an SSD for OS and boot programs. I then took my old hard drive, and popped it into the new tower. Steam picked up the games no problem, and other games I downloaded to the D drive worked just fine....
  9. Can't change where new apps are saved

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't change where new apps are saved: Hi, so i have xbox gamepass, i tried to get gears 5 and by default is saves the game in SSD and i don't have enough space.I tried to change it to HDD but with no luck.Here is the error:0x80070005, i tried to wait but with no luck....
  10. Can't save scanned documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't save scanned documents: As with my previous post, when I scan a document with a Canon CanoScan 8800F and try to save it to an existing folder the screen/box pops up and says "Cannot save file. The location you want to save to is write protected. Remove the write-protection or use another disk." I'm...