Windows 10: Can't create a shortcut in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Startup

Discus and support Can't create a shortcut in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to create a shortcut of Setpoint.exe to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Startup" but Windows won't let me. It's showing "Windows can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AndyTh, Mar 5, 2017.

1. AndyTh Win User

Can't create a shortcut in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Startup

I'm trying to create a shortcut of Setpoint.exe to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Startup" but Windows won't let me.

It's showing "Windows can't create a shortcut here. Create a shortcut to the desktop instead" error popup.

Need some workarounds guys.

:)

AndyTh, Mar 5, 2017

2. How can I add shortcuts to the Windows 10 start menu?

I am using this hack:

1. Create a shortcut in some non privileged helper folder like documents by dragging executable with right button into helper folder and choose "create shortcut here" after drop.

2. Move shortcut into folder "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" (admin rights required). Shortcut can't be created in Start Menu but can be moved there. Hopefully Microsoft will not disable this in the next update.

Martin_741, Mar 5, 2017
  3. Symbolic Links and Windows 10

Thanks for the quick response.

My Windows version is 1511 OS Build 10586.318

I created a link to partition O:\

mklink /d “C:\Program Files (x86)\ Infogrames Interactive” “O:\ Infogrames Interactive”

with the same problems as above.

I'm not sure what you mean by "create a shortcut manually and check."

I created a shortcut of the symbolic link C:\Program Files (x86)\
    Infogrames Interactive shortcut,

using right mouse button, click and choose create shortcut. It was created on the desktop.

When I opened the desktop shortcut, the same message, as above, appeared:
    “C:\Program Files (x86)\ Infogrames Interactive is unavailable.”

When I opened Properties and File Location, of the desktop shortcut, I was taken to the folder

C:\Program Files (x86).

accipiter_67, Mar 5, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

Create it on the desktop then cut and paste it in the Startup folder; you'll need to be signed on as Admin.

Edwin, Mar 5, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @AndyTh

Yes, you are only allowed to create folders there. As @Edwin says, copy/cut and paste is the workaround.

There are actually three places you can customise the Start Menu (All apps or Start-up), the area you are looking at is for 'all accounts'.
    All apps in Start menu - Add or Remove Items in Windows 10

You are allowed to create a shortcut in the Start-up for your own account.
    C:\Users\<your-account>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Bree, Mar 5, 2017
  6. AndyTh Win User
    Guys, like you said, I just sent a shortcut to the desktop and successfully moved the shortcut from the desktop to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Startup".

However, I've yet to find out if this will really work.

The reason why I'm doing this is because strangely, Logitech Setpoint.exe is not starting up with Windows as it normally used to. So I'm trying to force it to startup when I login or reboot my system by manually creating shortcuts to the all users and current user startup directories.

Let me know if you guys know a surefire trick.

Anyway, big thanks to both of you for replying.

AndyTh, Mar 5, 2017
  7. topgundcp Win User
    This is a wrong place to create item for startup. You either create the shorcut in:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup ===> startup applied for yourself
    Or:
    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup ===> applied for all users

topgundcp, Mar 5, 2017
  8. AndyTh Win User

Roger that! Thanks!

By the way, I've always been curious to know this. In "%APPDATA%" or as in "%TEMP%", what does the two %(percent) symbol signify or denote?

AndyTh, Mar 5, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    It means read the value of the named environment variable and use it here in place of the %name%. Try it in a command prompt to see how it works...

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't create a shortcut in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Startup - Similar Threads - Can't create shortcut

2. Create A Shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    Create A Shortcut: I would like to create a shortcut that would be placed on my desktop. I have logged onto a webpage and want to create a shortcut. How do I do that? Thanks for any help with this,...
  3. Create A Shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create A Shortcut: I would like to create a shortcut that would be placed on my desktop. I have logged onto a webpage and want to create a shortcut. How do I do that? Thanks for any help with this,...
  4. How to create a desktop shortcut in C# Visual Studio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create a desktop shortcut in C# Visual Studio: I was going to post to the following link but 50 reputation is a lot just to make a comment. So all credits to the user found on the following link:c# - Create a shortcut on Desktop - Stack OverflowThe answer itself wasn't quite what I needed but with a little adjustment it...
  5. How to create a desktop shortcut in C# Visual Studio

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to create a desktop shortcut in C# Visual Studio: I was going to post to the following link but 50 reputation is a lot just to make a comment. So all credits to the user found on the following link:c# - Create a shortcut on Desktop - Stack OverflowThe answer itself wasn't quite what I needed but with a little adjustment it...
  6. Can't create a shortcut to my desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't create a shortcut to my desktop: I had download the app of Simplenote from Microsoft store. I can't create a shortcut of this app to my desktop due to I can't find the file of Simplenote in my PC. Does it have any methods to solve it?...
  7. Can't create shortcuts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't create shortcuts: Everytime I create shortcuts I get"the target of this internet shortcut is not valid. Go to the internet shortcut property sheet and make sure the target is correct" plz help y'all ive tried so many YouTube solutions already...
  8. C drive shortcut created on another hard disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive shortcut created on another hard disk: Hi From yesterday i noticed that a C drive Primary disk drive shortcut is automatically created on my D drive where i stored my album and video files.On openning i saw same contents as original C drive.What is this? Can i delete it? i ran a virus scan with kaspersky and it...
  9. create shortcuts

in Windows 10 Customization
    create shortcuts: How do I create a shortcut easily as was done in earlier programs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-shortcuts/31eee41e-7dfe-4726-bff4-c5ea4af40c28
  10. Can't create website shortcut.

in Browsers and Email
    Can't create website shortcut.: As the title says, I can't create a shortcut to a web site, mine actually. I can create one for other sites, but not for mine. Why is that? 151732

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows cant create a shortcut here

2. copy shortcut program to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs in windows 10

3. ALLUSERSPROFILE startup mklink

4. create shortcuts in progam data startmenu,
  5. cant put shortcut in c:\programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs\startup,
  6. run-time error unable to save shortcut C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\emr.lnk,
  7. cant create shortcut in programs file,
  8. system shortcut for programdata,
  9. cant create shortcut in program files windows,
  10. cant create microsoft shortcut