Windows 10: Can't create a shortcut in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Startup

Discus and support Can't create a shortcut in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to create a shortcut of Setpoint.exe to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Startup" but Windows won't let me. It's showing "Windows can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AndyTh, Mar 5, 2017.

1. AndyTh Win User

Can't create a shortcut in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Startup

I'm trying to create a shortcut of Setpoint.exe to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Startup" but Windows won't let me.

It's showing "Windows can't create a shortcut here. Create a shortcut to the desktop instead" error popup.

Need some workarounds guys.

:)

AndyTh, Mar 5, 2017

2. How can I add shortcuts to the Windows 10 start menu?

I am using this hack:

1. Create a shortcut in some non privileged helper folder like documents by dragging executable with right button into helper folder and choose "create shortcut here" after drop.

2. Move shortcut into folder "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" (admin rights required). Shortcut can't be created in Start Menu but can be moved there. Hopefully Microsoft will not disable this in the next update.

Martin_741, Mar 5, 2017
  3. Symbolic Links and Windows 10

Thanks for the quick response.

My Windows version is 1511 OS Build 10586.318

I created a link to partition O:\

mklink /d “C:\Program Files (x86)\ Infogrames Interactive” “O:\ Infogrames Interactive”

with the same problems as above.

I'm not sure what you mean by "create a shortcut manually and check."

I created a shortcut of the symbolic link C:\Program Files (x86)\
    Infogrames Interactive shortcut,

using right mouse button, click and choose create shortcut. It was created on the desktop.

When I opened the desktop shortcut, the same message, as above, appeared:
    “C:\Program Files (x86)\ Infogrames Interactive is unavailable.”

When I opened Properties and File Location, of the desktop shortcut, I was taken to the folder

C:\Program Files (x86).

accipiter_67, Mar 5, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

Create it on the desktop then cut and paste it in the Startup folder; you'll need to be signed on as Admin.

Edwin, Mar 5, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @AndyTh

Yes, you are only allowed to create folders there. As @Edwin says, copy/cut and paste is the workaround.

There are actually three places you can customise the Start Menu (All apps or Start-up), the area you are looking at is for 'all accounts'.
    All apps in Start menu - Add or Remove Items in Windows 10

You are allowed to create a shortcut in the Start-up for your own account.
    C:\Users\<your-account>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Bree, Mar 5, 2017
  6. AndyTh Win User
    Guys, like you said, I just sent a shortcut to the desktop and successfully moved the shortcut from the desktop to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Startup".

However, I've yet to find out if this will really work.

The reason why I'm doing this is because strangely, Logitech Setpoint.exe is not starting up with Windows as it normally used to. So I'm trying to force it to startup when I login or reboot my system by manually creating shortcuts to the all users and current user startup directories.

Let me know if you guys know a surefire trick.

Anyway, big thanks to both of you for replying.

AndyTh, Mar 5, 2017
  7. topgundcp Win User
    This is a wrong place to create item for startup. You either create the shorcut in:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup ===> startup applied for yourself
    Or:
    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup ===> applied for all users

topgundcp, Mar 5, 2017
  8. AndyTh Win User

Roger that! Thanks!

By the way, I've always been curious to know this. In "%APPDATA%" or as in "%TEMP%", what does the two %(percent) symbol signify or denote?

AndyTh, Mar 5, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    It means read the value of the named environment variable and use it here in place of the %name%. Try it in a command prompt to see how it works...

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't create a shortcut in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Startup - Similar Threads - Can't create shortcut

2. Create my own shortcut of shortcuts

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Create my own shortcut of shortcuts: Hi! Due COVID-19 I am working remote right now and I'm using Remote Desktop Connection app. My problem is that sometimes I want to change fast between the PC from my job and my personal. I am doing that using CTRL + ALT + HOME and WIN + D which is pretty annoying for me. I...
  3. Can't create website shortcut.

in Browsers and Email
    Can't create website shortcut.: As the title says, I can't create a shortcut to a web site, mine actually. I can create one for other sites, but not for mine. Why is that? 151732
  4. Creating a shortcut to trigger a shortcut in a background program?

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating a shortcut to trigger a shortcut in a background program?: I am transcribing audio, I have an audio program running in the background while I have a text program open to do the typing. I use ctrl + , as a shortcut in the audio program a lot, its the rewind function, but as it is, I have to keep switching out of the text program to...
  5. create application shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    create application shortcut: trying to create desktop shortcut to a folder in the application list and have all applications work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-application-shortcut/13558886-f373-4467-9a28-0689b29c76bb"
  6. Create an app shortcut?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create an app shortcut?: Create an app shortcut? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/create-an-app-shortcut/a60c661c-2fbc-4d54-aa0f-3293e39a2c86
  7. Creating a desktop shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Creating a desktop shortcut: All I want to do is create a Desktop shortcut & icon for Microsoft Edge. Simple I thought, but I cannot do it. If I move an icon in the source folder, either an exe or lnk, to the Desktop it does not launch when clicked, or when I click open or run as Admin. Sometimes I cant...
  8. Create Desktop Shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Create Desktop Shortcut: O.k. I give up...can someone tell me how to create a desktop shortcut ? using Edge browser....also how do you move something from the favourites bar to the desktop?......it must be possible surely ?........Del. 73345
  9. want to create a shortcut for ' create restore point'

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    want to create a shortcut for ' create restore point': want to create a shortcut for ' create restore point'. managed to find the ' use a restore point file' but this only allows restoration from a restore point not. relation of one. i know there a few ways to do this, but want to put a link on my start menu. cant be...
  10. Automated Shortcut Creating

in Windows 10 Support
    Automated Shortcut Creating: Howdy, Right click on Desktop > Personalize > Themes > Desktop Icon Settings > Add This PC... This will make a "This PC" shortcut on desktop, which if you right click on, and choose Properties, will open up "System Details Window" rather than just showing a simple...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. copy shortcut program to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs in windows 10

2. create shortcuts in progam data startmenu

3. cant put shortcut in c:\programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs\startup

4. run-time error unable to save shortcut C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\emr.lnk,
  5. cant create shortcut in programs file,
  6. system shortcut for programdata,
  7. cant create shortcut in program files windows,
  8. cant create microsoft shortcut