Windows 10: Can't Get Boot to BIOS

Discus and support Can't Get Boot to BIOS in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; removing the addin video card is where I would start ,then reboot the computer Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by stevek50, Sep 4, 2015.

1. caperjack Win User

Can't Get Boot to BIOS

removing the addin video card is where I would start ,then reboot the computer

caperjack, Sep 5, 2015
  2. WhyMe Win User

lol...yes...I can be a touch overzealous with my initial troubleshooting methods sometimes *Redface I just enjoy taking things to pieces. *Biggrin The other steps can be done after if removing the GPU does not allow bios access...

WhyMe, Sep 5, 2015
  3. jds63 Win User
    jds63, Sep 5, 2015
  4. Can't Get Boot to BIOS

In response to No 1: The power supply has a +5V Axillary that never shuts off unless you turn the switch on the power supply to off. That +5V Aux is used to actually turn the PC on when you press the power button. That's the ATX standard. Most motherboards have an LED that is illuminated to tell you/remind you to switch the PS off when swapping components or to prevent it from accidentally starting up while your doing things in the case.

alphanumeric, Sep 5, 2015
  5. alphanumeric, Sep 5, 2015
  6. If you can't get into Windows at all to do what I suggested above try this. Power down and unplug the power supply from the wall outlet. If it's a laptop remove the battery. Now press and hold the power button for say 10 seconds. That will drain any residual power and take it out of any sleep or hibernate mode it may have been in. Now plug the power supply in and boot up while pressing what ever key is required to get into the BIOS. This procedure should boot you up from a cold start and get you BIOS access.

7. Windows 10 has a Fast Startup option that can make it hard to access the BIOS on boot up. And yes, if you don't have a UEFI BIOS or installed in legacy mode, that boot o UEFI settings option will be MIA. My posts are bit out of sync, didn't read the all the posts in the tread before posting. *Redface

8. caperjack Win User

Can't Get Boot to BIOS

thanks for the correction, mixing that up with safeboot or something like that ,,,,getting rusty ,spending to much time on that Pi,*Redface

caperjack, Sep 5, 2015
  9. Lots and lots of people hear "Fast Startup" and immediately think BIOS. It might even be called that in some BIOS. In mine its Fast Boot or Fast Bootup, I'd have to go look to confirm. I always leave it on, its never been an issue for me. If you turn it off, you get all kinds of on screen status messages etc that really slow the Boot process down. I have SSD's in my laptop and desktop so the Windows Fast Startup doesn't really give me any benefit. I do a powercfg -h off anyway to kill sleep mode and hibernate and delete the hyperfill.sys file. I never use sleep or hibernate. It also kills Windows Fast Startup. Then I go in and tweak my power settings. One of the gotchas with Fast Startup is your PC never fully shuts down, it goes in a hybrid sleep mode. That's why BIOS access is so hard on boot up. Your not really booting up, your coming out of a sleep mode.

10. WhyMe Win User
    It is called "Fast Boot". On my desktop with an SSD it adds approx 1/4 second to boot time. It is disabled because I usually need to enter the BIOS at least once a day (device is heavily overclocked and used for hardware testing and benching). All other machines it is enabled. If I need access to BIOS on them I can use the shift+power for UEFI access through windows

WhyMe, Sep 5, 2015
  11. The BIOS "Fast Boot" option, for me, has no effect on whether I can access my BIOS or not. I can get in with it turned on of off. I never turn it off. Turning on Windows Fast Startup on the other hand makes it impossible for me to enter the BIOS on boot up by pressing a keyboard key.

12. CalBear37 Win User
    My XPS8100 is also "not tested" however it upgraded to Win 10 with no problems and nicely runs some programs and printers that are not approved for Windows 10. Of course reinstalling those programs and printers could be a problem later.

CalBear37, Sep 5, 2015
  13. WhyMe Win User

Can't Get Boot to BIOS

It is just so weird how everyone's unique hardware/software setups impact upon everything else. Windows Fast Startup doesn't stop me entering my BIOS on my testing rig and is therefore enabled

WhyMe, Sep 5, 2015
  14. YOU
    You Win User
    I'm not sure if this problem has already been solved, but I decided to enable Fast Boot once to see how it went, and apparently it disables USB devices during the POST so I couldn't access the BIOS. I had to reset the CMOS ( can either do this by the jumper or removing the CMOS battery) and it reset my BIOS to default settings which has the Fast Boot option set to Disabled. Although this may vary by BIOS, when my computer started after I reset the CMOS, it gave me a pop-up asking me if I wanted to enter the BIOS, so if my default BIOS settings had Fast Boot enabled, that could be a way to access the BIOS for me.

15. essenbe Win User
    Do you have a UEFI Bios or Legacy? If you have a UEFI see post #5

essenbe, Sep 5, 2015
Thema:

Can't Get Boot to BIOS

1. Can't Get Boot to BIOS - Similar Threads - Can't Boot BIOS

2. Can't get into BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't get into BIOS: Hello, I've run into this problem. Until recently, my laptop Acer nitro 5 an515-44 had two operating systems windows and linux. At one point, due to my stupidity, I cleared the partition in which there was linux, later I needed to go into the BIOS, but when it is turned on,...
  3. Can't get into BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't get into BIOS: Hello, I've run into this problem. Until recently, my laptop Acer nitro 5 an515-44 had two operating systems windows and linux. At one point, due to my stupidity, I cleared the partition in which there was linux, later I needed to go into the BIOS, but when it is turned on,...
  4. Can't get into BIOS

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Need to boot into bios to get rid of virus, but can't

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to boot into bios to get rid of virus, but can't: I downloaded something on my laptop and noticed some very obvious signs I'd gotten a virus, so I shut it down and got a windows installation on a USB to wipe it clean. Only problem is I can't seem to get into the BIOS when I start it, no keys to get in show when it's...
  6. Need to boot into bios to get rid of virus, but can't

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need to boot into bios to get rid of virus, but can't: I downloaded something on my laptop and noticed some very obvious signs I'd gotten a virus, so I shut it down and got a windows installation on a USB to wipe it clean. Only problem is I can't seem to get into the BIOS when I start it, no keys to get in show when it's...
  7. Can't boot into BIOS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't boot into BIOS: Fast boot is turned off. Every time I boot there is no screen until the login screen, the screen remains in standby. Even mashing the keys to get into the BIOS leaves me on a dead screen or just ignores it and boots into Windows. submitted by /u/-EUROBEAT- [link]...
  8. CAN'T BOOT INTO BIOS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CAN'T BOOT INTO BIOS: Hi. I'm trying to reinstall Windows 10 to my Acer Aspire A515-52, running Windows 10, but I cannot Boot into the Bios, I tried repeatelly pressing the F2, F12 and even the delete Keys and nothing. Please help...
  9. Can't Boot into BIOS

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Boot into BIOS: I've tried every suggestion I've found on the internet, but no luck... Windows 10 lastest update. MSI Gaming Pro Carbon board with Ryzen 7 1700, using Ryzen power plan. When I first built this board I turned off the annoying MSI BIOS splash screen on startup, and now I guess...
  10. Can't get into the Bios

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't get into the Bios: I have a Gateway NE56R52u that I upgrade from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home and I can't get into the Bios. I've been on google all afternoon and tried everything but no luck. I have a HP desktop that I upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro and I can get into the...