Windows 10: Can't install any programs or updates on Windows 10

Discus and support Can't install any programs or updates on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 last year and had no problems with it for some while. Recently it's stopped allowing me to install any updates (i.e. Flash) or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by davehiggins21, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Can't install any programs or updates on Windows 10

I installed Windows 10 last year and had no problems with it for some while. Recently it's stopped allowing me to install any updates (i.e. Flash) or new software. It comes up with a pop-up box as below. There is a post in a Microsoft forum which suggests a possible fix - see below. However when I try to open the command prompt with admin access (I am an administrator on the system) I get the error 'This file does not have a program associated with it ....' Is there some way of fixing this ??

Can't install any programs or updates on Windows 10 [​IMG]

As you are getting the File System error (-1073741819), I suggest you to run the DISM command on your computer and check if it helps.

Method 1: DISM

• Open Command Prompt with administrator access.
    • Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    • Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    • After the repair is complete, restart your computer and try updating now.
    Any help would be much appreciated as it's driving me mad. *cry

Cheers Dave

:)

davehiggins21, Nov 3, 2016

2. Cannot install or un-install any programs because another installation is running - Windows 10

Hmm...ok so I did that and there was a restart pending for system updates. I completed the restart and I'm still getting the same errors. I checked Update and Security again and there are no updates pending....

ElaineSmith_913, Nov 3, 2016
  3. Cannot install or un-install any programs because another installation is running - Windows 10

It doesn't matter. I've tried to uninstall skype, update avg....nothing will work

ElaineSmith_913, Nov 3, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Can't install any programs or updates on Windows 10

Hi, you might try running DISM offline... I've never tried it, so you may need to research the syntax carefully:

DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image - Page 13 - Windows 10 Forums

To repair an image

If that doesn't work, you may need to do an in-place upgrade repair install.

Curiously yours is the second thread in the last couple of days with this exact problem.

dalchina, Nov 4, 2016
Thema:

Can't install any programs or updates on Windows 10

1. Can't install any programs or updates on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Can't install programs

2. Windows 10 / Can't open any programs after installing them

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 / Can't open any programs after installing them: I tried installing multiple programs, the most recent of which being Rufus, so I can create a bootable USB drive for the new PC I am expecting.After I have the executable downloaded, I just can't open them at all. It really doesn't matter what program it is....
  3. Windows 10 / Can't open any programs after installing them

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 / Can't open any programs after installing them: I tried installing multiple programs, the most recent of which being Rufus, so I can create a bootable USB drive for the new PC I am expecting.After I have the executable downloaded, I just can't open them at all. It really doesn't matter what program it is....
  4. Windows 10 / Can't open any programs after installing them

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can't install any windows updates

Can't install any windows updates: Hello,I've been stuck trying to update my windows 20h2 and 21h1 both aren't working whatsoever, tried looking up things to do and have tried about 12-15 times by nowUpdating from the updates menuMediaCreationToolI've disabled antivirus, firewall, unplugged everything except...
  6. I can't install any new programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I can't install any new programs: I've had Win 10 for about 6 months. In the last two days I've tried to install 2 new programs for the first time using this Win 10. Nothing happens besides a brief flash on the screen! I'm confused by the fix options I read on the internet and hope someone can guide me thru...
  7. I CAN'T install ANY program

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I CAN'T install ANY program: I update to the October 2020 update on my PC I was having issues with my discord, so I decided to reinstall it upon opening the installer I got this message. I have a Lenovo E73 Mini Tower running Windows 10 Pro 20H2 with an Intel Core i5-4460S. Can anyone help me out this is...
  8. Can't install any windows updates.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't install any windows updates.: There were 2 windows update available one is for my printer and one is for windows defender . So i tried to update and while installing the printer update there was an error, so i cannot update the other one. I searched online and someone said to go to device manager and...
  9. Can't open any programs in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't open any programs in Windows 10: A few days ago, I suddenly couldn't open any programs on my PC. I did a reinstall of Windows 10 and it seemed to be fine until the next day where it was the same as before. Anyone have an idea of what could potentially be the problem? I'm able to open everything in safe mode...
  10. Can't install any Windows updates

Can't install any Windows updates: Hey, it's been a while since I updated .NET Framework and 1 game kinda required it to run properly, so I tried to download it, and yeah it failed with the msg 'Catastophic Failure'. Well I started to investigate, use some solutions on the internet and stuff. I also noticed...