Windows 10: Can't "Install/Repair"

Discus and support Can't "Install/Repair" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Done 100's of these. (Well maybe a couplehundred over the years.) Right now running "Windows 10 Insider Preview Version 1803 (OS Build17112.1)"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cfourkays, Mar 9, 2018.

1. cfourkays Win User

Can't "Install/Repair"

Done 100's of these. (Well maybe a couplehundred over the years.)
    Right now running "Windows 10 Insider Preview Version 1803 (OS Build17112.1)" Thiswas on the HDD of a Mobo crash and is installed on new Mobo and CPU.
    Noticed I can't do updates, run CMD or powershell and a bunch of other things.
    Decided Install/Repair using Brink's time honored instructions.
    Downloaded latest from MS and installed on a USB.
    Start the update and it goes thru initial setup. Gets to downloading latest andget "This PC can't run Windows 10"
    "We couldn't update the system reserved partition."

Saw this when I tried to update before. Also see Error Codes 0xc0000142 for different operations.
    Example is trying "Powershell" Application Unable to start correctly 0xc0000142

Should I use a new formatted SSD? and install from boot? (Last resort)
    Pete

:)

cfourkays, Mar 9, 2018
  2. musum Win User

" SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Mar 9, 2018
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

i have installed windows xp sp2

previously i was using windows media center i thought i might b facing this probs due to that but then i changed it to windows xp ! n moreover i have also shown to nokia service center executives but they were not having the latest updates available ......
    my pc suite is showing that new update version of firmware is available but i cudnt download it Can't "Install/Repair" :(

oh gawd wat to do ? Can't "Install/Repair" :(

i tried in another pc then again i got an error u need to have minimum 256 ram Can't "Install/Repair" :(

please cant it b rectified ? there must b any solution to this probs please help me guyz

god bless all of u thanx Can't "Install/Repair" :)

musum, Mar 9, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Can't "Install/Repair"

dalchina, Mar 10, 2018
  5. zbook New Member
    Open disk management > widen each status and volume columns > make sure that the information in each row is no longer cut off and is in full view > post an image into the thread
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of Windows 10 Tutorials

Download and install: Minitool Partition Wizard > post an image into the thread
    MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

The methods to fix the failure to upgrade due to MSR are either to remove unneeded files or to enlarge one of the partitions needed for the upgrade.

Do you know whether the drives are MBR or GPT?
    If they are MBR are you interested or willing to switch to GPT for the increased security and speed?
    Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    diskpart
    list disk
    list volume
    select disk 0
    list partition
    exit
    When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

These files by default may be hidden.
    If you are unable to find them in file explorer > click view > check hidden files

Open file explorer > this PC > C: > in the right upper corner search for:
    setuperr.log
    setupact.log
    zip each and post one drive or drop box share links into the thread

zbook, Mar 10, 2018
  6. cfourkays Win User
    Took the easy way out. Have 2 SSD's.
    Replaced Disk 0 with a formatted SSD and reinstalled W-10.
    All the way now to Evaluation Copy Build 17115.
    I always have a good backup of data. W-10 File History makes things easier.

Thanks to both.
    I always learn something in "tenforms"
    Pete

cfourkays, Mar 11, 2018
  7. zbook New Member
    Nice work.
    The software/firmware that caused the "could not upgrade the system reserved partition was not found"
    Unfortunately it is more often a surprise that software/firmware had installed files into a non-data partition.
    Glad you got it solved.
    The next major Windows upgrade may be May/June.
    Hopefully that will be smoother.

zbook, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Can't "Install/Repair"

1. Can't "Install/Repair" - Similar Threads - Can't Install Repair

2. Repair Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Repair Install: Hey all, I want to repair install windows 10. So I download the .iso file and mounted it up in a USB Flash Drive. I had chosen a windows 10 20H2 version. So if i repair install Windows 10 through that USB Flash drive, will it delete any personal files in the partitions...
  3. Can't install/uninstall/repair directx

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't install/uninstall/repair directx: So, out of nowhere, my games stopped working, sony vegas freezes, and a lot of other problems wich all say that the reason is Directx. So I've tried to reinstall it, but each time gives me the error "An internal system error occurred. Please refer to DXError.log and...
  4. Repair Install

Repair Install: If you do a repair install of Windows 10 Pro will it keep your FireFox or do you have to reinstall FireFox? I'm using Windows 10 Pro version 1909 OS Build 18363.900 158395
  5. Can't repair Windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't repair Windows: I've recently having a lot of BSOD's related to system files such as ntoskrnl.exe, cng.sys and some unknown modules, so a few days ago I searched for all my problems on the internet and solved some of them, the problem seemed to be a several file corruption, so I ran into sfc...
  6. Install/Repair ?

Install/Repair ?: If I'm going to do a Rep/Inst on a fairly new W-10 Home, with 1909 on it, what iso, and where, can I use. Seems to me I need the same Version??? 151355
  7. Windows can't be repaired

Windows can't be repaired: I have a Lenovo IdeaPad 520. I installed some Windows updates yesterday, though I am not sure the installation was completed. I don't exactly remember, but I might have turned off the laptop before the updates had time to install. When I turned on the laptop next the screen...
  8. Can't boot or install nor repair

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't boot or install nor repair: I tried to dual boot windows 10 pro 64 bit with windows 7 but I put the wrong disk in and ended up installing win 7 32 bit. :'( Now windows 10 won't boot Iv tried running repair but still same error. Bad_info or something with blue screen, but it boots into 7 and I can...
  9. Can't repair my installation

Can't repair my installation: I'm using win 10 Education version. I don't know why some apps stoped to work, like Calculator, Weather Forecast, Search ... I tried to repair with my win10 installation disk, clicking on Setup. On the repair type choice page only the save nothing option is available .There...
  10. Can't repair PC, can't re-install Win10, stuck with viruses.

Can't repair PC, can't re-install Win10, stuck with viruses.: I bought an iView cyber pc with Windows 8.1 Windows upgrade to 10 virus attack, mysterious bank charges, popups etc. Couldn't use PC. so I used the Windows 10 USB boot disk and select to repair the PC, tried deleting all files, tried leaving files. Neither option works it...