Windows 10: Cant open pictures. Remote procedure call failed

Discus and support Cant open pictures. Remote procedure call failed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello community, I have a really frustrating problem with Windows 10 N (fresh installation, no upgrade from 7) and I'd really appreciate your help!... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mdzhigarov, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Cant open pictures. Remote procedure call failed

Hello community,

I have a really frustrating problem with Windows 10 N (fresh installation, no upgrade from 7) and I'd really appreciate your help!

I'm getting this error:
    Cant open pictures. Remote procedure call failed [​IMG]

... when I try to open any picture (jpeg, gif).

I have followed different forum topics for solutions and so far I:
    - Double checked that RPC service is running & on automatic. RPC Locator is not started & on manual
    - Previously had some issues with opencl.dll being corrupted, but following Kyhi's suggestions here:
    Error DISM restorehealth - Windows 10 Forums
    .. I managed to fix it (as you can see from the screenshot, the sfc shows no errors anymore)

In the event viewer I get these:

Activation of app Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

ActivateApplicationForContractByAcidAsUserWithHost of the app Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App for the Windows.File contract failed with The remote procedure call failed..

Activation of the app Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App for the Windows.File contract failed with error: The remote procedure call failed..

Activation via contract helper of the app Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App for the Windows.File contract failed with The remote procedure call failed..

... when I try to open a jpeg file.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Best regards,
    Marin

:)

mdzhigarov, Dec 7, 2015
  2. tcob1125 Win User

microsoft photos

When I try to open Microsoft photos the program will not open. When I go to pictures and try and open a picture I get the error -the remote-procedure-call-failed. How can this be fixed?

tcob1125, Dec 7, 2015
  3. Can't open picture files Windows 10

Can't open picture files on Windows 10 pro 64-bit. It says "remote procedure call failed" and just shows a black screen.

KeithD32623523, Dec 7, 2015
  4. AndreyT Win User

Cant open pictures. Remote procedure call failed

What happens if you simply attempt to start Photos app through Start Menu?

AndreyT, Dec 7, 2015
  5. SpideRaY Win User
    Same thing happened to me today. I thought it was down to several system changes that I had made like installing Kaspersky Safe Kids, however this was not the case. It appears that the latest Windows 10 build changes the Photo Viewer to another which causes the computer to throw this Remote procedure call failed. At first I thought that some malware had stopped the RPC Service from running however this was not the case. I found the simple answer is to switch back to the Windows Photo Viewer in the new apps settings menu.

1. Click "Start", then click "Settings".
    2. Click the first option "System".
    3. On the left side second from the bottom, click "Default Apps".
    4. Click the name of the App under "Photo Viewer" (Should currently say "Photos").
    5. Select "Windows Photo Viewer".

Open a photo and you will see that the icon has changed now every photo now matter the format will now open I am using Windows 10 Pro Build 10586.

SpideRaY, Dec 7, 2015
  6. I can recommend the one posted by SpideRaY I use it myself.

hTconeM9user, Dec 7, 2015
  7. davidhk Win User
    Phot Viewer is no longer listed in Windows 10.
    It has been replaced by Photo app.
    If you want to use Windows Photo Viewer, you will need to restore it.
    Use this tutorial :
    How to Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html

excerpt from Information section of the tutorial :
    Usually you could use Windows Photo Viewer to view your image files in a variety of ways. You can also print, order prints, attach pictures to an e‑mail message, burn, or open photos in another app on your PC.

Windows 10 uses the Photos app as the default app to open image files with instead now. By default, Windows Photo Viewer is no longer listed in Open with, and only has .tiff files associated with it in Default Programs.

This tutorial will show you how to restore Windows Photo Viewer to be able to select to open image files in Default apps, Default Programs, and Open with for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to restore Windows Photo Viewer.

davidhk, Dec 7, 2015
  8. AndreyT Win User

"Windows Photo Viewer" is the classic photo viewer from Windows 7. It is immediately available in Windows 10. However, since Windows 7 it suffered from a serious color management bug, which Microsoft stubbornly ignored. Once you enable color management in Windows, Windows Photo Viewer will display all pictures as very dark.

This is actually why the new Photo app is very welcome (if only it did not have a half-life of two weeks or so).

In any case, switching to WPV is not a real fix. Note that problems with Photo app are typically "fixable" through creating a new account.

AndreyT, Dec 7, 2015
  9. SpideRaY Win User
    The Photo app has worked fine for me over the last few months. I only started causing me problems today after Windows 10 update the build the day before. I use a variety of software to open photos and pictures so I guess whatever was updated in build 10586 caused the RPC error in this particular app ?

I have just performed System File Checker using the Admin Command prompt (sfc /scannow) and all seems fine I am gonna stick with the Windows 7 WPV for now as I normally use third party software rather than the system to access my pictures.

Also this little tool WinFix maybe worth a look @ http://www.thewindowsclub.com/downloads/FixWin10.zip

SpideRaY, Dec 7, 2015
  10. Thank you all for your suggestions!
    I did another preinstall of the OS and now the Photos are working.
    I have no idea what went wrong the first time.

mdzhigarov, Dec 8, 2015
  11. SpideRaY Win User
    Found this excellent website by Thomas Vanhoutte that allows you to purge your Windows Apps using and Admin Windows Power Shell https://thomas.vanhoutte.be/miniblog...indows-10-apps

Copy and paste this to the Power Shell this also seems to work without a restart. When finished
    Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Cant open pictures. Remote procedure call failed [​IMG]

This fix may also remove the WPV and you will be left with only MSP so if you still want use Windows Photos Viewer then download this reg tweak from Shawn Brink on this very forum @ https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/restore-windows-photo-viewer-in-windows-10.9741/

SpideRaY, Dec 9, 2015
  12. AndreyT Win User
    This command is rather well-known way to redeploy universal apps. Unfortunately it is unlikely to fix many typical problems with Photos app. The damage that prevents Photos from starting apparently resides in the user profile, which this command does not fix (while creating a new user profile often "fixes" the issue)

On top of that, when I last time tried using this command, it dumped a bunch of entries with cryptic ultra-long names into my Start Menu.

AndreyT, Dec 9, 2015
  13. SpideRaY Win User

Just used it all is now sorted with the Mail; Maps; Music Player; Video Player; Web Browser default apps. However I have lost some of the options in the Photo Viewer namely Photos and is now limited to the Windows Media Viewer 7 and Microsoft Paint. I guess it was a start any ideas how I can get the Default Apps back to default ? Also seem to be missing the Look for an App in the Store ? At least I now view my pictures without being told access denied. Is there any reg tweak to re-enable the Photos option and get it back to the way it was ?

SpideRaY, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cant open pictures. Remote procedure call failed - Similar Threads - Cant open pictures

2. The remote procedure call failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The remote procedure call failed: I have the following message on pc "the remote procedure call failed " that pops up when I try to log in. I restarted a few times without any success. We had a power dip & since then I am unable to log in....
  3. The remote procedure call failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The remote procedure call failed: I have the following message on pc "the remote procedure call failed " that pops up when I try to log in. I restarted a few times without any success. We had a power dip & since then I am unable to log in....
  4. The remote procedure call failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The remote procedure call failed: So I was installing rdp wrapper, restarted the pc and now after trying to login i get a message saying "The remote procedure call failed".I am unable to login however through searching i think it has to do with the service remote procedure call, i dont know if its running and...
  5. The remote procedure call failed

The remote procedure call failed: So I was installing rdp wrapper, restarted the pc and now after trying to login i get a message saying "The remote procedure call failed".I am unable to login however through searching i think it has to do with the service remote procedure call, i dont know if its running and...
  6. The remote procedure call failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Remote Procedure Call Failed

Remote Procedure Call Failed: Hi guys I tried to open my music thru Groove Music in windows10 But it shows me something like this [img] I checked my services RPC service is on [img] Any help? 52750
  8. (error) The remote procedure call failed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    (error) The remote procedure call failed: I am putting back together my HUMPY DUMPTY computer which had a great fall. I have a new windows 10 install on a new hard drive (C). I am not doing any backups from old C drive as I had so many, many, many problems with windows 10 upgrades from win 7 so I am going new. I have...
  9. Remote procedure call failed

in Windows 10 Support
    Remote procedure call failed: Towards the beginning of the year I started experiencing problems with the Start Menu. When I right clicked on some entries, I received an error 'The remote procedure call failed' (see attached image for full information). These errors occurred when selecting 'Programs and...
  10. The Remote Procedure Call Failed when opening video

in Windows 10 Support
    The Remote Procedure Call Failed when opening video: Hi i've looked around and can't seem to find any help on the remote procedure call failure when opening video. I have tried some of the fixes that people have used when opening pictures and that hasn't seemed to work. Changing the default app to open it with hasn't worked....