Windows 10: Can't play mp3 music

Discus and support Can't play mp3 music in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I upgraded from 10166 to 10240. I can't play mp3 files on windows media player, vlan media player, or anything else. They played fine on other builds.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hlesley, Jul 18, 2015.

1. hlesley Win User

Can't play mp3 music

I upgraded from 10166 to 10240. I can't play mp3 files on windows media player, vlan media player, or anything else. They played fine on other builds. Is there a way to play them now?

:)

hlesley, Jul 18, 2015

2. MP3 E-mail attachment?

I get mp3s as email attachments for work, but I can't open them in the music app. They open and play fine, but only in a "Music Backstop" window, which won't allow it to play in the background (as in, I can't read a pdf that is pertinent to the mp3 file
    while it's playing). I can't find where these downloaded files are being stored to open them with the actual music app. I also tried to open them from a web-based email browser instead of the native email app, but the same thing happens. Help please?

MarisaBarnes, Jul 18, 2015
  3. Roy 59er Win User
    Some questions about Nokia 301

The 301 doesn't have the hardware to play music any other way than mp3 it can't be changed

Roy 59er, Jul 18, 2015
  4. Gary Win User

Can't play mp3 music

Check you defaults for .MP3 files.

5. Ztruker Win User
    Open a Elevated Command Prompt, enter the following commands:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>assoc .mp3
    Response should be:
    .mp3=WMP11.AssocFile.MP3

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ftype WMP11.AssocFile.MP3
    Response should be:
    WMP11.AssocFile.MP3="%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /prefetch:6 /Open "%L"

If not, enter the following commands:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>assoc .mp3=WMP11.AssocFile.MP3

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ftype WMP11.AssocFile.MP3="%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" /prefetch:6 /Open "%L"

Ztruker, Jul 18, 2015
  6. Gary Win User
    Can't play mp3 music [​IMG]

Or just change the default to Windows Media Player

7. Ztruker Win User
    Well, yeah ... you could do it the easy way but where is the fun in that *chuckle

Ztruker, Jul 18, 2015
  8. hlesley Win User

Can't play mp3 music

Tried the easy way and the hard way. Still no sound. Defaulted to Windows Media Player and checked all files. It says WMP can't play this file.
    Defaulted to Groove Music. It does not support this file.
    CD will not play. DVD and youtube shows video, but no sound.
    If 10 is going to be this way, I will go back to 7 and not upgrade any other PC.
    Did not have this problem with other builds.
    I would hate to have to pay for 10.

hlesley, Jul 18, 2015
  9. AmericanPharaoh, Jul 18, 2015
  10. swarfega Win User
    Do you get sound in other apps?

swarfega, Jul 18, 2015
  11. CountMike New Member
    Loosing sound is different problem from programs refusing to play Mp3 and associations yet another. In this case it's probably due to loosing or deactivating codecs for Mp3 or other ones. You can try reinstalling VLC (it has own codecs) or installing some aftermarket codecs, like : Download ADVANCED Codecs for Windows 7 / 8 / 10 - MajorGeeks for instance.

CountMike, Jul 18, 2015
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

No problem with Sound on any of my systems -- The built in music app plays FLAC too.

The only problem is with that wretched Apple Lossless (ALAC) but those convert to FLAC anyway. C'mon ITunes --even though ALAC is now Open source it's still APPLE -- no reason why iTunes shouldn't play FLAC if you HAVE to use iTunes.

Other problems you *Might* have is that sound might re-set to Headphones rather than speaker if you aren't using the HDMI connection - I find the best way if you have a decent monitor is to use the HDMI setting and then use an optical Out from the Monitor into your Amp.

Check the Audio settings in System (you can still use the old control panel - right mouse click on the start Windows symbol.

For Audio though I'm still using the old veritable WINAMP - still working while for multimedia VLC handles anything. (VLC also plays any sound codec too including Apple Lossless ALAC).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 18, 2015
  13. linw Win User

Can't play mp3 music

mp3's play no problem here.

14. CountryBumkin, Jul 18, 2015
  15. Gary Win User
    Maybe whatever Audio Driver you are using needs to be updated or is corrupt. Please fill out your system specs.

Thema:

Can't play mp3 music

1. Can't play mp3 music - Similar Threads - Can't play mp3

2. Playing music from MP3 via Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Playing music from MP3 via Windows Media Player: I have Windows 10 on laptop and Sony MP3 player old. Music on there will not play now via Windows Media Player. It shows albums / tracks etc but will not play. I need to edit MP3 music to bring up to date....
  3. Playing music from MP3 via Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Playing music from MP3 via Windows Media Player: I have Windows 10 on laptop and Sony MP3 player old. Music on there will not play now via Windows Media Player. It shows albums / tracks etc but will not play. I need to edit MP3 music to bring up to date....
  4. Playing music from MP3 via Windows Media Player

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. MP3 music rating & Taskbar

MP3 music rating & Taskbar: When I have added a new MP3 file, I cannot correct the rating. Most new songs do not have a rating. When is this problem going to be fixed. Windows 11 has been out for some time now and has not been fixed. Also, I DO NOT WANT MY TASKBAR ON THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN. Why can't...
  6. MP3 music syncing with WMP

MP3 music syncing with WMP: Hi: I am trying to transfer a playlist of MP3s music to a thumb drive for playback in my Honda 2013 sound system via an USB receptacle jack. With the Play tab selected in WMP, I selected all songs and dragged to the Playlist righthand panel. Then selected the Sync tab....
  7. cortana can't play music

in Cortana
    cortana can't play music: when I asked her to play music she said sorry but for the time being I am not equipped to do that. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-cant-play-music/2e62d213-cd25-4802-9552-9c9e6805806b
  8. MP3 Music

MP3 Music: I have ripped music to MP3 on my laptop. My MP3 player is a Panasonic DVD/CD player/recorder which plays MP3 music. I want to transfer the files from my laptop to the Panasonic equipment. Do I need to add a device ie. the Panasonic device to my laptop to achieve this?I...
  9. I can play MP3 Music Files but not WAV files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can play MP3 Music Files but not WAV files: I can play MP3 music files but not WAV files. I have looked on your website at all the fixes and tried them all. The Codex box you said to check, wasn't even available. Another suggestion [not from you] was to download VLC player. That didn't work either. I have tried...
  10. Can't play downloaded music

Can't play downloaded music: I have downloaded music. When I click to play, I get a message "Can't play. We can't find an audio device. Make sure headphones or speakers are connected. For more info, search your device for "Manage audio devices." Computer is an Inspiron 3048, running Windows 10....