Windows 10: Can't receive any Windows updates after Anniversary Update

Discus and support Can't receive any Windows updates after Anniversary Update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So I have been having an issue with the anniversary update for a while now. Every time I try run windows updates, I get the error "We couldn't connect... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by muels7, Nov 7, 2016.

1. muels7 Win User

Can't receive any Windows updates after Anniversary Update

So I have been having an issue with the anniversary update for a while now. Every time I try run windows updates, I get the error "We couldn't connect to the update service. We'll try again later or you can check now. If it still doesn't work, make sure you are connected to the internet". Well, I am connected to the internet, I can do anything online except download updates.

Today I re-imaged my computer back to version 1511 with a clean image. Windows updates worked fine. I just ran windows updates again and it downloaded and installed the anniversary update, fine. But as soon as it finished installing and rebooted, my computer will no longer get updates again. I get the same error. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

:)

muels7, Nov 7, 2016

2. Task View app preview rearrangement.

Today I received the anniversary update but I can't see any changes to the Task View...

So much for "your valuable feedback will soon be incorporated in future Windows updates".

BrainCrash, Nov 7, 2016
  3. gtalan Win User
    Missing administrator account

After I received the anniversary update I can't log into x-box in the pc, Cortana can only do web search and now I see I have no administrator account. I screwed up and deleted my Microsoft account and can't open a new one, other online at the Microsoft
    website but I can't log on to it, it shows up on the lock window but it will not let me log on it.

I have tried to log on to the hidden administrator in the computer management but that doesn't show any users and I can't find anything about a administrator of any kind.

Is it possible to delete the anniversary update and get the admin account back ?

gtalan, Nov 7, 2016
  4. Can't receive any Windows updates after Anniversary Update

muels7,

My apology for the delay in responding.

Try to reset the Windows Updates Components and then reinitiate the Windows Update process.

Press the Windows key + X on the keyboard and select: Command Prompt (Admin)

To stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update services, copy/paste (with the mouse) the following commands (inside the code box) at the Command Prompt, one at a time, and, after each, press: Enter

Code: net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver[/quote] Next, rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folders. Copy/paste (with the mouse) the following commands (inside the code box) at the Command Prompt, one at a time, and, after each, press: Enter

Code: ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old[/quote] Now, let’s restart the Services that were stopped. Copy/paste (with the mouse) the following commands (inside the code box) at the Command Prompt, one at a time, and, after each, press: Enter
    [/I]
    Code: net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver[/quote] At the Command Prompt, type: Exit

Please restart the computer.

After restarting the computer, retry the install of the Windows Updates.

Let us know how it goes.

cottonball, Nov 11, 2016
  5. muels7 Win User
    Next, rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folders. Copy/paste (with the mouse) the following commands (inside the code box) at the Command Prompt, one at a time, and, after each, press: Enter

Code: ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old[/quote] Now, let’s restart the Services that were stopped. Copy/paste (with the mouse) the following commands (inside the code box) at the Command Prompt, one at a time, and, after each, press: Enter
    [/I]
    Code: net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver[/quote] At the Command Prompt, type: Exit

Please restart the computer.

After restarting the computer, retry the install of the Windows Updates.

Let us know how it goes.[/quote] Sorry that I did not update my post until now. This did not work. However, I did figure out what the issue was and resolved it. Ever since I have been at this job our active directory was a mess as far as computers go. I recently cleaned it up. There was an old GPO in one of the OUs that I moved computer accounts to that was pointing to a WSUS server that we no longer have. Once I deleted that GPO, I was able to get updates again.

Thanks to everyone that helped.

muels7, Nov 27, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    EdTittel, Nov 28, 2016
  7. Thanks for the update, muels7!

Also, thanks for the link, EdTittel!

Brink is always ahead of the game.

cottonball, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Can't receive any Windows updates after Anniversary Update

1. Can't receive any Windows updates after Anniversary Update - Similar Threads - Can't receive updates

2. Anniversary update still not received

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Anniversary update still not received: I still haven't received the automatic Anniversary update. If I download the update from support.microsoft, it always stops around 70 % with the notification "page fault in nonpaged area", and system returns to version 1511. What can I do ? Because I can't install it, I'm...
  3. Anniversary update failed - After, no updates available?

Anniversary update failed - After, no updates available?: I just updated my 64-bit PC with the anniversary update, as confirmed by the changes to the notification at far right, and all programs showing on the start menu. But then, I tried the update on my 32-bit PC, which I started and let run while away from it. When I came...
  4. Can't update Windows 10 Anniversary

Can't update Windows 10 Anniversary: I recently encountered a virus right around the time Windows 10 was updated to Windows 10 Anniversary. I had originally upgraded my Windows 8.0 to Windows 10 (beta), but my Activation code didn't work so I had to get windows to help me, and that's when Windows 10 Anniversary...
  5. Can't sign in after the Anniversary update

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can't sign in after the Anniversary update: The screen goes black then returns me to sign in... 58388
  6. Can't update to W10 Anniversary Update?

Can't update to W10 Anniversary Update?: PC is up to date, downloaded the anniversary update via windows update. PC restarts and acts like its installing and it goes back to build 1511? I tried downloading the manual installer and same thing, doesn't seem like anyone had this problem yet? The manual...
  7. BSODs after the anniversary update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSODs after the anniversary update: I don't know where to begin with this one. I was on windows 7 in the past and my PC (custom built) constantly suffered from BSOD and random crashes (like browsers crashing randomly). I did my best to try and find out what is causing these issues and ended up narrowing it...
  8. Can't see connected devices after Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't see connected devices after Anniversary Update: Hey guys, so today I update my system and surprisingly, I can't see my connected devices (such as mobile phone, external hard disks, etc) under 'This PC' or elsewhere. Tried uninstalling the drivers through Device Manager, restarting, everything.. but doesn't work. And no,...
  9. Problem After Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem After Anniversary Update: Hey Guys, Need some help here. Did my Anniversary update (after hearing of all the problems I did it anyhow I like to be updated) and am currently having 2 main problems. Im the Admin of my Computer. 1. I use Plex server a lot. So when I leave my computer on if it...
  10. Trouble after anniversary update

in Windows 10 Support
    Trouble after anniversary update: Hello friends: I am running build 14393 after the anniversary updates. However, I BIG problem I'm facing is that the links to recent files on the applications pinned on the task bar is not available any more. And it's seriously irritating to first open say, Excel then...