Windows 10: Can't Rename External Hard Drive in Windows 10 Pro

Discus and support Can't Rename External Hard Drive in Windows 10 Pro in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello TenForums! Been a while. I've looked up every guide imaginable, including this one, and I can't seem to rename my A: drive on my Windows 10 Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by davidvkimball, May 19, 2020.

1. Can't Rename External Hard Drive in Windows 10 Pro

Hello TenForums! Been a while.

I've looked up every guide imaginable, including this one, and I can't seem to rename my A: drive on my Windows 10 Pro install, version 1909, OS build 18363.778.

Can't Rename External Hard Drive in Windows 10 Pro [​IMG]

I've tried using the elevated command prompt method, the elevated PowerShell method, the Disk Management method where I change the drive letter and then rename the label, I've tried right clicking it and everything in between.

Can't Rename External Hard Drive in Windows 10 Pro [​IMG]

I possess Full control over the object, and all child object permissions have been replaced.

I've tried disconnecting it and reconnecting it, restarting my PC.

The only thing I haven't tried is formatting it - which isn't something I really want to do, seeing as I have ~5TB of storage on there.

Any idea what I could try?

Thanks in advance!

:)

davidvkimball, May 19, 2020
  2. nate_995 Win User

unable to rename external hard drive

I tried what you said, but it still says "you need permission to perform this action". I have access to everything on the drive. It is only the autorun.inf that i no longer have access to and because of that when i rename the drive it shows the new name
    in disk management but it stays the same in my computer. I am using windows 10 pro.

nate_995, May 19, 2020
  3. Marco Gav Win User
    unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, May 19, 2020
  4. Remon Ont Win User

Can't Rename External Hard Drive in Windows 10 Pro

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, May 19, 2020
Thema:

Can't Rename External Hard Drive in Windows 10 Pro

1. Can't Rename External Hard Drive in Windows 10 Pro - Similar Threads - Can't Rename External

2. Windows 10 Pro can't use an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Pro can't use an external hard drive: Hi there! A few days ago i've reinstalled Windows 10 on my pc. The pc is a Hp Compaq Pro 6300 SFF PC, however, when i plug trough USB ports an external hard disk drive, Windows can see it plugged in, but i can't use the hard drive because i can't open it in Windows Explorer....
  3. Can't rename external drive

Can't rename external drive: [img] Windows 10 v 1904. Want to rename external disk "X". System likes it as "D" in sequence. I can type in (X) but the (D) won't change. Can this be done? 171446
  4. Can't rename external drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't rename external drive: [img] Windows 10 v 1904. Want to rename external disk "X". System likes it as "D" in sequence. I can type in (X) but the (D) won't change. Can this be done? 171446
  5. Can't mount external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't mount external hard drive: An external USB hard drive has been used for a number of years to regularly archive data on a Linux Debian system. The latest attempt to archive data gave the following error :- mount /media/backup mount : can't find UUID=0688802088800FFB Why does this error occur and how...
  6. External Hard drive issue win 10 pro

External Hard drive issue win 10 pro: Hiya Guys and Gals. My old win 10 HD wouldnt boot, I tried the turn off 3 times and waited for the "Repair Screen" to appear which kinda did then went blank took about 20 mins for it too work out what job it was supposed to be doing like bringing up the options menu. I went...
  7. External hard drive can't open

External hard drive can't open: External hard drive is listed in disc management as "raw". Is there a way to open or access it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-cant-open/6ac9492f-b2ed-4301-916b-48d818c0af86
  8. Can't eject external hard drive!

Can't eject external hard drive!: Hi, I have a recent issue that when I tried to safely eject external hard drive an error message appear as below: '\Device\Harddiskvolume2\Program Files\Microsoft\MDOP MBAMAgent.exe' is preventing this device from being stopped... I wonder how to fix this issue? Thanks...
  9. Windows 10 Pro and External Hard Drives...

Windows 10 Pro and External Hard Drives...: Hello, I recently bought a new PC with win 10 pro on board. I was disappointed to find that my Sabrent Dual Hard Drive bay as well as my Inateck external hard drive cable are not recognized by my laptop, a Lenovo Thinkpad. I had no issues with either of these external...
  10. Can't Access External Hard Drive

Can't Access External Hard Drive: I can't access my external hard drive from my laptop. But when connect to other laptop using win 7 it easily open. [img] Drive E not showing NTFS file system. [img] Pop up when I tried to open Drive E. This is so frustrating Its not my external HD fault and I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. external hard drive wont rename

2. Win10 renaming external drives