Windows 10: Change Drive Label Name in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Drive Label Name in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Drive Label Name in Windows 10 How to Rename Drive Label in Windows 10 A drive name or drive label is a unique name of up to 32... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Drive Label Name in Windows 10

How to: Change Drive Label Name in Windows 10

How to Rename Drive Label in Windows 10

A drive name or drive label is a unique name of up to 32 (NTFS) or 11 (FAT) characters assigned to a drive, disc, or other media connected to the computer.

Every drive and storage device on your computer has a friendly name (aka: label) to make it easier to recognize.

This tutorial will show you different ways to rename a drive label in Windows 10.

*note When you rename a drive in Windows, the name cannot contain any of the following characters: \ / : * ? " < > |

Change Drive Label Name in Windows 10 [​IMG]

*note You must be signed in as an administrator to rename a drive.

*note You will not be able to change the name of a CD/DVD drive with any of these options.

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] To Rename a Drive in This PC
    1. Open This PC in File Explorer.

2. Select a drive that you want to rename, and do step 3 (keyboard shortcut), step 4 (ribbon), or step 5 (context menu) below for how you want to rename the drive.

3. Select the drive you want to rename, press the F2 key, and go to step 6 below.

4. Click/tap on the Computer tab, select the drive you want to rename, click/tap on Rename in the ribbon, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

5. Right click or press and hold on the drive you want to rename, click/tap on Rename, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

6. Type a new name, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

OPTION TWO [/i] To Rename a Drive in Properties
    1. Do step 2 (This PC) or step 3 (Disk Management) below for how you want to open properties of the drive you want to rename.

2. To Open Drive Properties in This PC
    A) Open This PC in File Explorer.

B) Right click or press and hold on the drive you want to rename, click/tap on Properties, and go to step 4 below. (see screenshot below)

3. To Open Drive Properties in Disk Management
    A) Open the Win+X Quick Link menu, and click/tap on Disk Management.

B) Right click or press and hold on the drive you want to rename, click/tap on Properties, and go to step 4 below. (see screenshot below)

4. Type a new name, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Rename a Drive in Command Prompt
    *note For more usage details about the Label command, see: Label
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Type the command below in the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow label <DriveLetter>: New name

*note Substitute <DriveLetter> in the command above with the drive letter of the drive you want to rename.

Substitute New name in the command above with the label you want to rename the drive with. You can leave this empty to have a default label (ex: Local Disk) for the drive.

For example: label E: My Backups

3. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Rename a Drive in PowerShell
    *note For more usage details about the Set-Volume command, see: Set-Volume
    1. Open an elevated PowerShell.

2. Do step 3 (rename by drive label) or step 4 (rename by drive letter) below for which command you want to use to rename the drive.

3. To Rename Drive by Drive Label
    A) Type the command below in the elevated PowerShell, press Enter, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow Set-Volume -FileSystemLabel "<Current drive name>" -NewFileSystemLabel "<New drive name>"

*note Substitute <Current drive name> in the command above with the current name of the drive.

Substitute New drive name in the command above with the label you want to rename the drive with. You can leave this empty to have a default label (ex: Local Disk) for the drive.

For example:

Set-Volume -FileSystemLabel "Backup" -NewFileSystemLabel "My Backups"

OR

Set-Volume -FileSystemLabel "Backup" -NewFileSystemLabel ""

4. To Rename Drive by Drive Letter
    A) Type the command below in the elevated PowerShell, press Enter, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

*Arrow Set-Volume -DriveLetter <DriveLetter> -NewFileSystemLabel "<New drive name>"

*note Substitute <DriveLetter> in the command above with the drive letter of the drive you want to rename.

Substitute New drive name in the command above with the label you want to rename the drive with. You can leave this empty to have a default label (ex: Local Disk) for the drive.

For example:

Set-Volume -DriveLetter E -NewFileSystemLabel "My Backups"

OR

Set-Volume -FileSystemLabel E -NewFileSystemLabel ""

5. When finished, you can close the elevated PowerShell if you like.

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Specify a Drive Label using autorun.inf file
    *note This option will override all the options above.

This option is helpful for external or removable drives that you want to always have the same drive label no matter what Windows PC you connect the drive to.

1. Open This PC in File Explorer.

2. Click/tap on the View tab, and check the File name extensions box in the ribbon. (see screenshot below)

3. Open the drive (ex: E ) you want to rename, right click or press and hold on an empty area in the drive, click/tap on New, and click/tap on Text Document. (see screenshot below)

*note If you already have a autorun.inf file in the root directory of this drive, then skip this step, and go to step 5 below instead.

4. Right click or press and hold on the New Text Document.txt file, click/tap on Rename, rename it to autorun.inf, and click/tap on Yes to confirm changing the file extension. (see screenshots below)

5. Open the autorun.inf file to edit it.

6. Type the separate lines below into the opened autorun.inf file.
    Code:
    Note If you already have a autorun.inf file, then you would only add or change the label line.

If you wanted to remove this drive label, you can either remove the label line or delete the autorun.inf file.

Substitute drive name in the label line above with the actual name you want for the drive.

For example:

Code:

7. Click/tap on File, click/tap on Save, and close the opened autorun.inf file. (see screenshot below)

8. Restart the computer to apply. If this is for a removable drive, then you could just disconnect and reconnect the drive instead.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Apr 10, 2018

2. change windows 10 pc name

We appreciate you getting back to us. To change the cmd name, we suggest that you follow this steps:

• Open a Command Prompt (Adimin) window: Win+X, A, Alt+Y
    • Then run the following command to change your computer name to Donner: WMIC ComputerSystem where Name=COMPUTER-NAME call Rename Name=NewName
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Try to run ipconfig / all command, you should find that the Host Name in Windows IP Configuration list has been changed to the new name.

Keep us posted with the result.

Marilou Ser, Oct 26, 2019
  3. How to change User name on Windows 10

Hi Davit,

I will certainly help you in changing the User name on Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to change the User name:

• Press Windows logo + R keys to open the run command, type
      netplwiz
      and click on Ok.
    • On the Users tab, click on Properties to change the user name and then click on
      Apply.
    Kindly get back to us for any further assistance on Windows 10. We will be glad to help.

Thank you.

Sudeep Aprameyan, Oct 26, 2019
  4. mcw53 Win User

Can't Rename Drive Label in Windows 10

I ran diskpart as suggested by @jl2509. This allowed me to name my removable USB drives via ThisPC Rename & Properties, Command Prompt, PowerShell and autorun.inf file. I elected to go with the autorun.inf file and created an icon for each drive. I formatted one drive NTFS and the other FAT32.

Just what I wanted, until ... I restarted my laptop. Got the following error on restart: "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system. Press any key to restart".

I removed the 2 USB drives and was able to restart the laptop. Pressing any key didn't work ... the only "key" that worked was the power button.

Did a little research and discovered what setting a partition as active means. So I inactivated them with the following diskpart commands:

list disk
    select disk 1
    list partition
    select partition 1
    inactive

All is good now. Thanks jl2509

mcw53, Oct 26, 2019
  5. How do I change the network adapter name? (Windows 10)

Press Windows Key + R, type secpol.msc and press Enter to run it. In Local Security Policy window, go to the Network List Manager Policies in the left pane. Now in the right pane double click on the network name that you want to change. In the Properties windows under the Name section make sure that Name is selected. Now in the input field enter the name that you wish to use for your connection. Click Apply then OK to save the changes. And you might have to log in again or to restart your computer before the changes are applied.

lorraine walsh, Oct 26, 2019
  6. mcw53 Win User
    Can't Rename Drive Label in Windows 10

I have named my USB flash drives (G,H) in Disk Management, but they continue to be unnamed in Windows Explorer.

I've tried everything in this tutorial: How to Rename Drive Label in Windows 10 without success. The only thing that does work is to set a default label for each drive in the registry.

I've read several Win7 articles stating various USB problems can be resolved by uninstalling all the controllers under Universal Serial Bus controllers in Device Manager. Then restart and let Windows reinstall them as needed.

Question: Would this be a safe/reasonable thing to do in Windows 10? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

HP ProBook 450 G3
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (upgraded from Windows 7 Pro 64-bit)
    Intel Core i7-6500U (Skylake)
    16GB DDR3 PC3-12800

mcw53, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Change Drive Label Name in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Drive Label

2. Mismatched drive labels in windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mismatched drive labels in windows.: hi,I have two drives:Samsung 980 PRO 2TB - Where Windows 11 is installedSamsung 980 PRO 1TB - There is nothing on this drive, not even partition table.Everywhere in Windows 11 those disks are mislabeled.Ex. Task manager shows label 'NVMe Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB' but all...
  3. Mismatched drive labels in windows.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mismatched drive labels in windows.: hi,I have two drives:Samsung 980 PRO 2TB - Where Windows 11 is installedSamsung 980 PRO 1TB - There is nothing on this drive, not even partition table.Everywhere in Windows 11 those disks are mislabeled.Ex. Task manager shows label 'NVMe Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB' but all...
  4. bitlocker drive label

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    bitlocker drive label: My computer upgraded over the weekend and the bitlocker no longer works. It asks for the recovery key which I have but it looking for a desktop drive label that was not the original and is not listed on my microsoft account. None of the bitlocker keys on my account will...
  5. Log on want to change Label name.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Log on want to change Label name.: Dear Sirs I want to change the label log on name, but I got stuck.. cant find it how to change that log on name. the screen shot, I upload some screen shot image for your refs, need your help give us more info. file name screen shot as sequences below.. I put that files...
  6. Drive name shown in Explorer is different from volume label

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive name shown in Explorer is different from volume label: I have an external USB drive with the volume label "HDD-2." But when I connect it, Explorer shows the name as "Toshiba Canvio Hard Drive." [img] If I attempt to rename it in Explorer (right click -> Rename), the name reverts to "Toshiba Canvio Hard Drive" as soon as I hit...
  7. Drive name shown in Explorer is different from volume label

in Windows 10 Support
    Drive name shown in Explorer is different from volume label: I have an external USB drive with the volume label "HDD-2." But when I connect it, Explorer shows the name as "Toshiba Canvio Hard Drive." [img] If I attempt to rename it in Explorer (right click -> Rename), the name reverts to "Toshiba Canvio Hard Drive" as soon as I hit...
  8. Can I safely change OS volume's label name?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I safely change OS volume's label name?: Hi! I'm not sure about if I change OS volume partition label name, there will or won't occur issues with windows system files. But I know the risk when changing OS drive letter(Default C:) can have issue with software apps that was selected directory when installation....
  9. Can't Rename Drive Label in Windows 10

Can't Rename Drive Label in Windows 10: I have named my USB flash drives (G,H) in Disk Management, but they continue to be unnamed in Windows Explorer. [img] I've tried everything in this tutorial: How to Rename Drive Label in Windows 10 without success. The only thing that does work is to set a default...
  10. Thumb drive name change

Thumb drive name change: Thumb drive windows 10 will only let me use 11 characters in the name 20321