Windows 10: Can't seem to make a recovery disk or install disk

Discus and support Can't seem to make a recovery disk or install disk in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've tried using the "Create a Recovery Drive" and have tried making my own installation media using the "Media Creation Tool". Both seem to do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Plaid Moose, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Can't seem to make a recovery disk or install disk

I've tried using the "Create a Recovery Drive" and have tried making my own installation media using the "Media Creation Tool". Both seem to do nothing, just constantly search.

The Media Creation Tool stays on the "getting a few things ready" screen for upwards of half an hour then I'll close it and it'll say "setup is cleaning up before it closes" and it'll stay on that screen forever. Even task manger won't close it - it will not show up as a process any longer, but still on the screen. EDIT: I have to shut down the computer to close the window.

Create a Recovery Drive, when choosing "Back up system files to the recovery drive", does pretty much the same thing, a screen with a green progress bar going left to right for hours.

I'm trying to put it, either way, on a 32gb USB flash drive.

This is driving me nuts. Its a new computer no software has been installed by me other than the MCT and a tool to find the windows product key. I'm very new to Windows 10 coming from XP.

thanks in advance

:)

Plaid Moose, Dec 31, 2015
  2. Symo1963 Win User

Asus F555L notebook will not start Windows.

My son's Asus F555L notebook operates on Win10 but will not start Windows. It was upgraded from Win8 during the free upgrade period and we don't have an installation disk or a recovery disk. As we can't start Windows, I can't get to the licenseeither.
    Can I download an installation package to make an installation disk or repair disk to boot from?

Symo1963, Dec 31, 2015
  3. Vinodh.V Win User
    I need to make a DVD repair or recovery disk in Window 10

Hi,

Due to excess thread volume, we are trying to respond to the queries as soon as possible, please bear with us. Inconvenience regretted.

Please wait.

Vinodh.V, Dec 31, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Can't seem to make a recovery disk or install disk

Brink, Dec 31, 2015
  5. So don't burn to a DVD but rather save it to the key drive?

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I find that installing Windows 10 with UEFI works best when using a USB flash drive. Plus, it'll install faster.

Brink, Dec 31, 2015
  7. I've been doing Option 2 of windows 10 ISO download but at step 7 selecting USB flash drive. I get "getting a few things ready" screen and it doesn't seem to move on from there.

ditto for option 1 of USB Flash Drive.

Haven't tried to do the DVD option and would rather have it on a USB.

Can't seem to make a recovery disk or install disk [​IMG]

this is the window I get after selecting the flash drive. Is this normal? Normal to have this window for upwards of half an hour?

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Dec 31, 2015
  9. ok, I'll try it. but dinner and beer first. ill post back.

10. Success I think so how do I take this for a test drive? It simply as easy as starting up my computer with the drive installed? Note I don't, at this point anyway, want to reinstall anything.

11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news. *Party

You could boot from the USB to see if you get the Windows Setup screen like below. If you do, it'll work to install Windows with. You can just close the window to cancel setup, and restart to Windows.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Can't seem to make a recovery disk or install disk [​IMG]

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't seem to make a recovery disk or install disk - Similar Threads - Can't seem recovery

2. Recovery Disk

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recovery Disk: Hey I have this “old” laptop i need to sell. I did the system reset which took forever. But now there is this Recovery disk which i can’t open. What is it for? can/should i remove it before selling? https://imgur.com/a/7raeGuN submitted by /u/Juicy-Cucumber [link]...
  3. recovery disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    recovery disk: can I open a recovery disk to see whats on it, on a computer thats not broken? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-disk/3a1b4d32-7a35-4258-959e-00b32454ae49
  4. Disk recovery

Disk recovery: Hello, i've created windows10 installer on my hard drive, but it was't empty. https://www.microsoft.com/pl-pl/software-download/windows10 using second option how can i recover my lost data? all programs can not recover my previous parition In disc settings i don't have any...
  5. can't create recovery disk

can't create recovery disk: My Dell XPS 13 9300, Win10 Pro x64, five hours out of the carton, all updates installed, fails while writing the recovery disk to a 16GB USB flash drive. "A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive." It also leaves the drive in an odd state with no partition or...
  6. Problems making a recovery disk

Problems making a recovery disk: Hello, I am having problems making a recovery disk. I have a Pavilion DV6 that had a hard drive failure, I got a new SSD Samsong 860 EVO 500GB but can not seem to get windows reinstalled. I ran the MS media creation tool. I start it, select "Create installation media for...
  7. recovery disk

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    recovery disk: how do I make a recovery disk on my flash drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-disk/861e9c6e-5279-45e4-a05b-56e8562933d2"
  8. RECOVERY DISK

in Windows 10 Customization
    RECOVERY DISK: Hello, I need to reset my windows 10 password, but I cannot find the recovery disk. Can you help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-disk/dd8f866f-60cf-4ecf-b35b-e0ec93d2f389
  9. Making Installation disks

Making Installation disks: Hi, I recently found a copy of a few old Windows Operating Systems and wanted to make installation disks from them, I have the copies in ISO files and have extra thumb drives I would put them on, this is the question: do I need any sort of special program to make the...
  10. Can't create recovery disk

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't create recovery disk: In create recovery disk with the save system files option. I get "unable to create recovery disk". If create without the system files option it creates ok. Don Cole 113704