Windows 10: Can't set file association for php files

Discus and support Can't set file association for php files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Using Windows 10, I want to set a file association for php files to a particular application, but when I do it is not stored. Example 1: In File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by David.Cheshire, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Can't set file association for php files

Using Windows 10, I want to set a file association for php files to a particular application, but when I do it is not stored.

Example 1: In File Explorer I right click on the file and choose "Open with". I select the application I want to use and make sure that the "Always use this application to open .php files" is checked. The file opens with the selected application. When I close the file, the association with the desired application is lost.

Example 2: In File Explorer I right click on the file and choose "Properties". Under "Opens with" I choose the application that I want to use to open the file type and press OK. Nothing happens, the association of the file with the application is not stored.

This happens on a laptop and a PC that have both been upgraded with new SSD drives and fresh, clean, installations of Windows 10.

:)

David.Cheshire, Nov 13, 2018
  2. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Nov 13, 2018
  3. AndreTen Win User
    Setting File Associations - Another Step Backwards

This is working for me, but in settings (Insider 17107)

Can't set file association for php files [​IMG]

AndreTen, Nov 13, 2018
  4. dalchina Win User

Can't set file association for php files

Setting File Associations - Another Step Backwards

Please advise whether you are unable to use the Open With dialogue to browse to your desired program.
    (A screenshot would help!)

If the Open With dialogue doesn't allow you to browse to the program you wish to associate with a given extension, you might try adding it to the Open With dialogue using the Default Programs Editor (free):

You can also do this:

At a more detailed level - too much so for normal use - there's this:

dalchina, Nov 13, 2018
Thema:

Can't set file association for php files

1. Can't set file association for php files - Similar Threads - Can't set file

2. file explorer preview php extension files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer preview php extension files: File Explorer cannot preview files with extension php, which are text files, please advise how to do this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-preview-php-extension-files/d500ed8e-4e38-4c30-8517-f27180e54e16
  3. File Associations

File Associations: I have imported and saved personal photos of friends and family. I would like to use them as screensavers on a random, rotating basis. When I go to Settings and Personalization, I am asked to associate all the photos I would like to use with a file or program extension. I...
  4. File Association Settings in Windows 10

File Association Settings in Windows 10: I have recent installed Lotus SmartSuite to my Windows 10 64 bit PC, as I have large numbers of old delivery dockets, created using Lotus WordPro years ago, that I need to access occasionally, when dealing with warranty claims & service matters. WordPro works perfectly....
  5. File Type php Missing in Windows File Association Settings

in Windows 10 Support
    File Type php Missing in Windows File Association Settings: I would like to associate the php file format with a text editor utility such as Sublime Text. When I attempt to "always open file type with Sublime Text" via the context menu in Windows Explorer, it does not work. When I open Settings > Default Apps > Choose Default Apps by...
  6. Can't keep file associations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't keep file associations: I'm pretty sure this is a 1809 shenanigan but I'll post it anyway. I just made a clean install of Win10 and since the reinstall I can't make the file associations "stick". When I try to open a file that has no association, I can select the program I want to open it with, but...
  7. Can't keep file associations

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't keep file associations: I'm pretty sure this is a 1809 shenanigan but I'll post it anyway. I just made a clean install of Win10 and since the reinstall I can't make the file associations "stick". When I try to open a file that has no association, I can select the program I want to open it with, but...
  8. Can't make zip file association

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't make zip file association: In some magical way that Windows has, my zip files have become associated with Photoshop?????????? I cannot figuer out how to assign a zip association. Though there's a list of probably 50 .z## file types which i have NONE. There is no .zip association which i have many....
  9. Set file association for .NEF files

Set file association for .NEF files: I have Photoshop CS4 along with Camera Raw installed as well as Adobe Acrobat 9.5. Everytime I try to open a .NEF file Windows tries to open it in Acrobat 9.5. Naturally it cannot. When I go to the file associations Photoshop CS4 is not an option. Can anyone help me associate...
  10. Set File Association with .reg File

Set File Association with .reg File: Hi, i have a problem with File Associations in Windows (Build 1607). I want to set a File Association for .pdf so that i can start .pdf files with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and not with Microsoft Edge (default). It is possible if i change it over System -> Default Apps...