Windows 10: Can't unpin items from the taskbar

Discus and support Can't unpin items from the taskbar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I can pin items to the taskbar but when I right click on an item I can't unpin. Only had this problem with 10240. 8606 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by usmc362, Jul 19, 2015.

1. usmc362 Win User

Can't unpin items from the taskbar

I can pin items to the taskbar but when I right click on an item I can't unpin. Only had this problem with 10240.

:)

usmc362, Jul 19, 2015

2. unpinning from taskbar

I've read that right clicking on an icon then choosing unpin can unpin items from the taskbar, but I can't right click. what else can I do?

theoriginalrocknrobin, Jul 19, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    task bar

Hi Larry, right click the item and choose 'Unpin from Taskbar'

DaveM121, Jul 19, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello usmc,

Do you have the "Unpin the program from taskbar" context menu item?

If so, and it just doesn't work, then you could use the tutorial below to reset and clear all pinned apps on your taskbar. Afterwards, you can pin what you like back.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Jul 19, 2015
  5. usmc362 Win User
    Thanks for your help all the time*Smile
    No I don't have "unpin program from taskbar" in the context menu. Seems like this started when I installed Firefox....hmm

usmc362, Jul 19, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    As a workaround, do you have the unpin from taskbar option from within the Start menu?

If not there as well, then you might do a system restore using a restore point dated before you noticed this awol.

Brink, Jul 19, 2015
  7. usmc362 Win User
    Yes I can unpin from the start menu and I have system restore turned off*Confused

usmc362, Jul 19, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Interesting. Did resetting the taskbar add the context menu back after pinning them again?

Brink, Jul 19, 2015
  9. usmc362 Win User
    No it did'nt

usmc362, Jul 20, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 20, 2015
  11. tazmo8448 Win User
    Wouldn't happen to know under which category 'Unpin from Taskbar' in Local Policy Editor can be found wouldcha? My deal is I have W10 but use the W7 Shell extension so it mimics W7 and several things in taskbar don't respond, like right clicking and the little white icon that shows notifications by the clock in the lower right corner is unresponsive (other than turn or/off quiet time whatever that is) Open Action Center went by the wayside but the on/off thing works. I'm pretty sure the shell extension ended some things and wish to keep it and was wondering if there is a workaround on unpinning in the taskbar via LGP. The Start menu functions work good its just the TaskBar that is unresponsive and again by that I mean I am able to 'Pin' things just unable to 'UnPin'.

tazmo8448, Oct 17, 2015
  12. Just so future people with this issue know:

*Arrow Reset and Clear Taskbar Pinned Apps in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

In windows 10 your taskbar items are located "%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar" go here and delete any items you want removed etc.

Then restart explorer to see the changes
    Run: taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
    Then: start explorer.exe

You can also find the registry values in: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband

Though I found I didn't need to modify them to manually add and remove items.

richie231186, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't unpin items from the taskbar - Similar Threads - Can't unpin items

2. I can't unpin Windows Terminal from the taskbar.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I can't unpin Windows Terminal from the taskbar.: So, I pinned it, but now I can't unpin it from the taskbar. It just does nothing. Even uninstalling and reinstalling didn't help. And it doesn't even have an icon. So it looks like this....
  3. I can't unpin Windows Terminal from the taskbar.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't unpin Windows Terminal from the taskbar.: So, I pinned it, but now I can't unpin it from the taskbar. It just does nothing. Even uninstalling and reinstalling didn't help. And it doesn't even have an icon. So it looks like this....
  4. I can't unpin Windows Terminal from the taskbar.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't Unpin Visual Studio 2015 from Taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't Unpin Visual Studio 2015 from Taskbar: Alright. I've been a good little boy and I have tried to google for my issue prior to coming to the MS community once again. I installed VS 2015, did NOT uninstall it but used it in conjunction with VS 2017. I no longer needed either version because what I need 2015 for was...
  6. Can't pin or unpin apps to the taskbar!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't pin or unpin apps to the taskbar!: My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 13 7000, updated to Windows 10 Home version 1083. I am having trouble pinning and unpinning apps to my taskbar. The issue is a bit hard to explain, but I will try my best to describe it. I've also attached screenshots to help clarify. When I...
  7. Can't unpin Microsoft Edge from taskbar

in Browsers and Email
    Can't unpin Microsoft Edge from taskbar: Hello Matthew, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile You could do so by unpinning Microsoft Edge from the taskbar and Start menu, and setting whatever web browser you wanted to use instead as the default program instead....
  8. Can't unpin/pin items in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't unpin/pin items in start menu: Hi, I've been using windows 10 for some time and I didn't have any problems until now, idk when the problem appeared or what caused it. I wanted to uninstall a program that I wasn't using, and it was pinned to my start menu tile, and I wanted to put something in that...
  9. Unable to unpin a particular item from taskbar in Windows 10 ver 1607

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to unpin a particular item from taskbar in Windows 10 ver 1607: I just upgraded to the anniversary edition of Windows 10 (ver 1607). I pinned Google Chrome to the task bar but then have decided I'd like to unpin it. However, right-clicking the Chrome icon on the taskbar does nothing. I think once I saw the mouse cursor flash an...
  10. Can't Pin or Unpin to Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Pin or Unpin to Taskbar: I just noticed today that I am unable to right click on an item on the taskbar making it not possible to pin or unpin. Is this happening to anyone else or is it just me? 21007

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Cant unpin a program from the taskbar

2. how to unpin things from your taskbar when it doesnt work

3. cant unpin items from the taskbar windows 10

4. cant unpin item from taskbar,
  5. cant unpin librairies from task bar