Windows 10: Can't unpin Microsoft Edge from taskbar

Discus and support Can't unpin Microsoft Edge from taskbar in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello Matthew, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile You could do so by unpinning Microsoft Edge from the taskbar and Start menu, and setting whatever... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by pmennen, Aug 31, 2015.

1. pmennen Win User

Can't unpin Microsoft Edge from taskbar

I have already chosen chrome to be my default browser and when I double click on an html file, it opens in chrome as I expect. However I still can't unpin Microsoft Edge from the taskbar as you suggest. When I right click on the edge icon in the taskbar this is what I see:

Can't unpin Microsoft Edge from taskbar [​IMG]

This is seriously messed up, since it is giving me a choice to pin Microsoft Edge to the taskbar. Why would it give me such a choice when it is already pinned to the taskbar @#$&!!

(By the way, the four icons to the left of my system tray were added by using the quicklaunch toolbar mechanism, but this does not seem related to the problem.)

What's more when I right click on every other icon in the taskbar, the menu presented includes an option to "unpin" the application from the taskbar. It almost seems that Microsoft is going out of its way to tell me what I want. Yet I haven't seen others complaining of this problem, so perhaps there is a problem with my windows 10 setup? I thought I may have an extra icon somewhere that I could delete, so I checked here:

C:\Users\paul\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

But I only see shortcuts to the seven applications that I have manually pinned to the taskbar myself.
    Then I noticed this folder which surely must contain the errant link:

C:\Users\paul\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\ImplicitAppShortcuts

But no, indeed this folder is blank. (I have it set to show hidden files, so I'm sure about that).

I also checked the Registry
    REG:\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband\

but I only see the keys (Default), Favorites, FavoritesChanges, FavoritesRemovedChanges, FavoritesResolve, and FavoritesVersion none of which seems to be related to my problem.

Can anyone give me a suggestion on how to remove this unwanted and amazingly persistent icon?

~Paul

:)

pmennen, Aug 31, 2015

2. Programs pinning to taskbar at startup

I'm on windows 10 and every time I boot up my laptop, Microsoft Edge and Microsoft Store are pinned to my taskbar. I have unpinned these numerous times by right clicking the icon and selecting unpin from taskbar. Is there a way to permanently unpin these
    from the taskbar?

David032086, Aug 31, 2015
  3. How do I remove Store from the Taskbar

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.

You can unpin store and Microsoft edge from the taskbar.

Right click on the store and select unpin from the taskbar.

Thank You.

Uttam Yadav, Aug 31, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Paul, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Using the tutorial below to reset and clear taskbar pinned apps should do the trick, but you'll have to manually "Pin to taskbar" all the app you want back again afterwards.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Aug 31, 2015
  5. pmennen Win User
    That batch file did the trick. Thanks a lot for your quick reply!

BTW it is amazing the hours we waste on simple things like this that one would expect simply to work.
    Also as you suggested I needed to manually pin my applications to the taskbar again. At first I just tried copying the links I had saved from the AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar folder back into that folder, but even after rebooting windows did not recognize that they were there.

pmennen, Aug 31, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

This is usually caused by the taskbar pinned items getting corrupted.

Manually copying links into that Taskbar folder could cause issues as well. Manually copy links into that folder instead of using "Pin to taskbar" wouldn't work since they also have to be referenced in the registry.

Brink, Aug 31, 2015
  7. Another suggestion for anybody wanting to do this. For the apps that you want to re-pin to the task bar, open them before running the batch file. It'll make it a little easier to re-pin them because they will continue to run even though windows explorer restarts. The file explorer however might not stay running because i believe it requires windows explorer to be running(not too clear on the specifics there). I guess i can't guarantee this will work but it worked for me anyway.

Good Luck, I hope this helps.

blairfriesen94, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't unpin Microsoft Edge from taskbar - Similar Threads - Can't unpin Microsoft

2. Unable to unpin Microsoft Edge from Start Menu.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to unpin Microsoft Edge from Start Menu.: Hello,Since a recent Windows 10 update, Microsoft Edge has been pinned to my Start Menu. Previously, I was able to unpin shortcuts from my Start Menu. When trying to unpin this shortcut from my Start Menu I am not presented with the option to "Unpin from Start Menu" as I am...
  3. Unable to unpin Microsoft Edge from Start Menu.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to unpin Microsoft Edge from Start Menu.: Hello,Since a recent Windows 10 update, Microsoft Edge has been pinned to my Start Menu. Previously, I was able to unpin shortcuts from my Start Menu. When trying to unpin this shortcut from my Start Menu I am not presented with the option to "Unpin from Start Menu" as I am...
  4. Unable to unpin Microsoft Edge from Start Menu.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. I can't unpin Windows Terminal from the taskbar.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    I can't unpin Windows Terminal from the taskbar.: So, I pinned it, but now I can't unpin it from the taskbar. It just does nothing. Even uninstalling and reinstalling didn't help. And it doesn't even have an icon. So it looks like this....
  6. Can't Unpin Visual Studio 2015 from Taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't Unpin Visual Studio 2015 from Taskbar: Alright. I've been a good little boy and I have tried to google for my issue prior to coming to the MS community once again. I installed VS 2015, did NOT uninstall it but used it in conjunction with VS 2017. I no longer needed either version because what I need 2015 for was...
  7. EDGE Unpinned

in Browsers and Email
    EDGE Unpinned: I have unpinned EDGE from my taskbar and now use FireFox. Edge is just too slow. - Delays during download - Slow Scrolling Microsoft need to understand the computer is all about delivering response to the end user. FireFox is much more responsive especially during...
  8. Cannot Unpin Microsoft Edge & Store Icons From The Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Unpin Microsoft Edge & Store Icons From The Taskbar: Hello there! I purchased and upgraded to Microsoft Windows 10! Finally, right? But anyways, I've spent the last few days customizing all my options and settings that I had back on Windows 8.1. Takes hours to do all that. Got all my settings saved as text with directions....
  9. Can't Pin or Unpin to Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Pin or Unpin to Taskbar: I just noticed today that I am unable to right click on an item on the taskbar making it not possible to pin or unpin. Is this happening to anyone else or is it just me? 21007
  10. Can't unpin items from the taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't unpin items from the taskbar: I can pin items to the taskbar but when I right click on an item I can't unpin. Only had this problem with 10240. 8606

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unpin edge from taskbar

2. cant unpin from taskbar

3. cant unpin edge

4. icon wont unpin from taskbar,
  5. permanently unpin edge from taskbar,
  6. cant unpin edge from taskbar,
  7. unpin edge fom start,
  8. cant remove edge from taskbar,
  9. edge unpin to start,
  10. edge unpin key_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\taskband,
  11. how do you unpin microsoft edge,
  12. how to permanently unpin ie from taskbar,
  13. cannot unpin microsoft edge from taskbar,
  14. cany unpin from TRAY,
  15. microsoft edge taskbar registry tenforums