Windows 10: Can't wake from sleep - have to reboot everytime.

Discus and support Can't wake from sleep - have to reboot everytime. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. HP Pavilion laptop, Windows 10 Pro Intel i5, 2.60 GHz 8 GB Ram. I was on 8.1 but did a clean install following the guides on the forums and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zambeezi, Nov 24, 2015.

1. zambeezi Win User

Can't wake from sleep - have to reboot everytime.

Hi.

HP Pavilion laptop, Windows 10 Pro
    Intel i5, 2.60 GHz
    8 GB Ram.

I was on 8.1 but did a clean install following the guides on the forums and it worked great. Only issue I had was with the Synaptics settings that keeps resseting after reboot but sorted that out.

Now for some reason 90% of the time my laptop goes to sleep I can only get it to work again by rebooting via power button. I have tried various guides on the forum (disabled fast boot, hybernation, etc) but nothing seems to work. If it does work, it only last a couple of hours at best. I have also noticed that the laptop does not always shut down fully...

I have just done a reset again (did a clean install yesterday) and left the laptop on for about 30-45 minutes and it goes to sleep and I can't wake it. I left everything default to rule out any possible changes I could have made to the settings.

I am wondering if it's the iso I got from Microsoft website when I did the install...

Any ideas where else to look?

:)

zambeezi, Nov 24, 2015

2. Using laptop as desktop - can't wake it from sleep with wireless mouse or keyboard.

• 4. Test waking from Sleep with the monitor connected to the laptop.
    • 5. Disconnect the monitor from the laptop, reboot, then test waking from Sleep without an external monitor.

No luck with monitor connected. Disconnected the monitor, rebooted, then tested wake-from-sleep with no external monitor - no luck.

eljaycanuck, Nov 24, 2015
  3. Turbodogx Win User
    Surface Pro 4: Am I missing a setting for PIN after waking from sleep?

There has been a major update for the SP4 yesterday. It did NOT fix this problem. If I am plugged (and I'm docked too), and I set wake with Password EVERYTIME, if I put it in Sleep with the power button, and wake it 30 seconds later, it does NOT require
    my PIN. For now I keep it on Wake with Password after 1 minute, but it should work for EVERYTIME too.

MSFT has not commented on this, and the store thought it related to the Wake from Sleep issue. It apparently is not.

Turbodogx, Nov 24, 2015
  4. JohnC Win User

Hi zambeezi, some have had success by resetting the power plan options. Control Panel > Power Options >change Plan Settings >Change Advanced Power Settings > Restore Defaults. Apply, OK . You may have to change the entry in the drop down box to get the "restore defaults" box active.

JohnC, Nov 24, 2015
  5. zambeezi Win User
    Thanks, John. I think I've doen that earlier today but not since the reset. I'll give it another go anyways.

zambeezi, Nov 24, 2015
  6. Most of the time, when someone is having sleep problems, it has to do with the drivers provided for your computer.

Best thing to do is try the manufacturer's website to see if they have any Windows 10 drivers, and try to use those. If they're missing all or some (like chipset, VGA, etc.), they probably don't support Windows 10 with your computer, which just means you'll encounter some minor issues in the future... such as this one.

PS if you do find good drivers, you may want to disable automatic device installation to keep Windows from installing newer ones, which may or may not cause future problems: Device Driver Automatic Installation - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

DustSailor, Nov 24, 2015
  7. zambeezi Win User
    Thanks, Dusty.
    I'll see if I can get the latest drivers from HP. Windows 10 did run perfect on the laptop, so fingers crossed it will again.

EDIT: Just updated the drivers and testing it now.

zambeezi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Can't wake from sleep - have to reboot everytime. - Similar Threads - Can't wake sleep

2. Laptop can't wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop can't wake up from sleep: Hi, I'm currently using Windows 10 and have declined the upgrade to Windows 11 several times. Last night I put my laptop to Sleep and it was updated again and again I declined. I stepped away from my laptop for a few hours. When I got back, I tapped Enter as usual. I got to...
  3. Laptop can't wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop can't wake up from sleep: Hi, I'm currently using Windows 10 and have declined the upgrade to Windows 11 several times. Last night I put my laptop to Sleep and it was updated again and again I declined. I stepped away from my laptop for a few hours. When I got back, I tapped Enter as usual. I got to...
  4. Reboot when trying to wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Reboot when trying to wake up from sleep: Hi! I have a Lenovo 330S 15ARR since last October, Windows 10 v1909. Sleeping and waking from sleep was working fine. Since a couple of months, I have the following problem. I noticed that when I try to wake the pc from sleep, it acts like I rebooted. I did some testings...
  5. Can't wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't wake from sleep: So I've been on the Insider 20H2 build for a couple of weeks now. I've noticed that my laptop frequently crashes on sleep and won't wake up. Sometimes it would just refuse to go into sleep and get stuck till a force restart and sometimes it would just straight up turn of when...
  6. Laptop having issues waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop having issues waking from sleep: See these two threads for reference - Dell Inspiron 15 5577 can't resume from sleep No power from SSD when waking from sleep Windows 10 I used to put the laptop to sleep from Windows and just leave the screen lid open, but however, The issue happens even when I close the...
  7. Reboot after waking from sleep (Error 41)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Reboot after waking from sleep (Error 41): Hey all, first post here, glad to be on such a helping community. ASUS UX303LN user. Before 3 days, my laptop started refusing to wake up from sleep properly, instead it reboots from a clean state, It is as if I am pressing an invisible reset button that starts the...
  8. Can't wake computer from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't wake computer from sleep: So this is my current problem: ever since I upgraded to an SSD and did a clean install of windows 10, I can't wake up my computer from sleep. On my old hard drive I did not have this problem. Whenever the screen times out, my mouse and keyboard are unresponsive and nothing I...
  9. Wake from Sleep - Laptop Reboots itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Wake from Sleep - Laptop Reboots itself: Hi Guys, Please help me a little, I think I'm losing my mind. I have an Asus Ultrabook, UX302L. It came with windows 8 from the factory, I upgraded it to windows 10, all nice and wonderful. About a month ago, I replaced my HDD with an Samsung 850 Evo SSD and I installed...
  10. Laptop reboots after trying to wake it from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop reboots after trying to wake it from sleep: I have a huge problem with my ASUS laptop ( ROG G501JW ). I had unrelated problems with Windows 10 most likely caused by malware infection that had me use "Reset PC" option that basically performs fresh Windows 10 installation as far as settings go. After performing it I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why to reboot windows phone everytime