Windows 10: CFA prevents trusted apps making changes to fiiles in controlled folders

Discus and support CFA prevents trusted apps making changes to fiiles in controlled folders in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi When CFA is turned on, changes to files in controlled folders are prevented from being saved even when those changes are made by trusted apps. On... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MJones8, Aug 12, 2019.

1. MJones8 Win User

CFA prevents trusted apps making changes to fiiles in controlled folders

Hi

When CFA is turned on, changes to files in controlled folders are prevented from being saved even when those changes are made by trusted apps.

On using SAVE, the response is that Microsoft cannot access the file and sunbstitutes the file name in the file path with an appaarently random number.

On using SAVE AS the response is that the new file cannot be found.

The problem disappears when CFA is turned off.

I'd be grateful for any help to resolve this problem.

Regards

Michael

:)

MJones8, Aug 12, 2019

2. Stopping Windows Store apps being blocked by Controlled Folder Access

I have a couple of Windows Store apps that Controlled Folder Access blocks. When I try to include them in the list of apps that CFA doesn't block, I find that the folder \Program Files\WindowsApps is inaccessible, and the process of gaining access seems
    completely opaque. I get through to the "Advanced Security Settings for WindowsApps" window, and the principal that seems relevant is "Administrators (<computer name>\Administrators)". However there doesn't seem to be any way of editing this item; the only
    button that isn't greyed out is "View".

I can't imagine that it should be so difficult to tell CFA to allow Windows Store apps to access protected folders. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with this problem?

JungleGym01, Aug 12, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Aug 12, 2019
  4. CFA prevents trusted apps making changes to fiiles in controlled folders

Controlled Access Folder Blocks Files Even Though I Don't Have It Enabled

That’s because Controlled Folder Access can’t be enabled without Defender’s real-time protection being enabled. So if your third-party AV app is active, then Defender’s real-time protection and CFA are both locked down – but if CFA is still functioning,
    then it was locked in the “on” state rather than the “off” state, and is now in a logical error state. In order to clear that error state, you’ll need to take the steps that I’ve suggested above.

GreginMich, Aug 12, 2019
Thema:

CFA prevents trusted apps making changes to fiiles in controlled folders

1. CFA prevents trusted apps making changes to fiiles in controlled folders - Similar Threads - CFA prevents trusted

2. File/Folder permissions preventing app launch?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File/Folder permissions preventing app launch?: In trying to start Adobe After Effects, "After Effects can’t continue: Standard 3D module is missing." appears after "Cleaning Up" disappears from the splash screen. After clicking Ok on the error, the splash screen goes away and I get this dialog box: "After Effects can't...
  3. Defender prevented making Restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Defender prevented making Restore: Hello, Recently had to use a restore point. Started to make the restore, but at the end got a message that restore was not successful. It said I have to stop my antivirus program (and try again). My only antivirus is windows defender. Is there some way to stop defender...
  4. Defender prevented making Restore

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defender prevented making Restore: Hello, Recently had to use a restore point. Started to make the restore, but at the end got a message that restore was not successful. It said I have to stop my antivirus program (and try again). My only antivirus is windows defender. Is there some way to stop defender...
  5. Controlled Folder Access: Prevents many benign apps/programs from properly installing and...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Controlled Folder Access: Prevents many benign apps/programs from properly installing and...: Hi: I'm new to Windows Defender Security and to Windows 10. I found the "Controlled Folder Access" function, listed under Ransomware Protection the most troublesome aspect of it. Often a benign program won't install properly, and I get no notification in the...
  6. controlled folder access blocked XtuService.exe from making changes to memory

controlled folder access blocked XtuService.exe from making changes to memory: controlled folder access blocked XtuService.exe from making changes to memory?? i could not understand what is all this it keeps coming everytime after i downloaded someting from unsafe website.What should i do to get rid of it?is is unsafe for my pc...
  7. Allow an app through Controled folder access

Allow an app through Controled folder access: Hello I am not sure what this image attached to this question is asking I.e I have no idea what app is being referr[ATTACH]ed to! I am not even sure what the 'Control folder' refers to! I was going to look it up like usual before posting but I have many things open...
  8. Controlled Folder Access blocked C:\Windows\System32\SearchIndexer.exe from making changes...

Controlled Folder Access blocked C:\Windows\System32\SearchIndexer.exe from making changes...: I have turned on controlled folder access in Windows Defender and have received a couple of these errors. Controlled Folder Access blocked C:\Windows\System32\SearchIndexer.exe from making changes to memory. Detection time: 2018-08-10T05:58:11.746Z User: NT...
  9. Can not make changes in User Control Panel (UAC)

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can not make changes in User Control Panel (UAC): I am new to here and not sure if this thread maybe already solved. So I will be as detailed as I can. My wife and I are both using Windows 10 Pro laptop pc's. Both of our pc's in the control panel can not access user accounts or anything. Normally a UAC window would pop...
  10. make a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    make a folder: I am trying to add a folder here: [img] by using [img] ? I can't get the ribbon to work! Is there an update that makes it work. John*Smile 32605