Windows 10: Change default Downloads folder in Edge

Discus and support Change default Downloads folder in Edge in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Anyone know how to change the default Downloads folder in Edge in build 10159? I've looked through all the settings, including the Advanced ones,... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Mark Phelps, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Change default Downloads folder in Edge

Anyone know how to change the default Downloads folder in Edge in build 10159?

I've looked through all the settings, including the Advanced ones, and there's nowhere to change this.

:)

Mark Phelps, Jun 30, 2015

2. Is there any way to choose a download location and name in Edge instead of getting the default name and the Download directory?

Changing the default download location for Edge.

It will require a change of the registry using regedit.exe, but you can move Edge's default download location to a place of your liking. See the tenforums.com post at the link below.

It is an easy change, however, be sure to back up your registry first. If you aren't comfortable editing the Windows registry, find a geek friend who can help you out.

How to Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

(Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10)

I have not found a solution for changing the file name before download.

Robert Share, Jun 30, 2015
  3. Arul_D Win User
    How to select where Egde saves a file

Hello,

From the description of the issue, I understand that you want to change the default Download Directory in Microsoft Edge.

Please be informed that when you use Microsoft Edge to download a file from the Internet, it is saved to the default downloads folder. The default downloads folder in Microsoft Edge is your %UserProfile%/Downloads folder.

Currently, Microsoft Edge does not include a setting to change the default downloads folder.

However, a work around would be to change the default download location from within the File Explorer.

1. Launch File Explorer and locate the Downloads folder on the left.

2. Right-click on the Download folder and select Properties.

3. Click the Location tab, and enter a new path. Click Apply.

This creates a new download location. If you want to move the existing one (taking any completed downloads with it), click on Move, choose a new folder location and click Yes.

Hope the above information was useful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Arul_D, Jun 30, 2015
  4. Change default Downloads folder in Edge

Did you change the default downloads folder path?

If not, if you right click on the downloads folder, under the Location tab, you can change the location

mayorville, Jul 6, 2015
  5. Where is this "locations tab"? I see no such tab under Edge on my PC.

Mark Phelps, Jul 10, 2015
  6. cbwilsha Win User
    File Explorer>>Downloads>>Right Click on it>>Properties>>Location and you can send your downloads anywhere you want them.

cbwilsha, Jul 10, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    Thanks for the tip.

BunnyJ, Jul 10, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change default Downloads folder in Edge

Hey Mark, @Mark Phelps

Here's a new tutorial for how to change the default downloads folder in Microsoft Edge. *Smile

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Jul 11, 2015
  9. Thanks, Brink -- that worked. However, I went through the steps to try to change it from File Manager, and that did NOT work. It would not allow me to select a different Downloads directory. And, when I checked in regedit, there was no DefaultDownloadDirectory key there.

Mark Phelps, Jul 11, 2015
  10. Except ... the tip did not work. In the Location tab, there are three buttons, the right two of which are Move and Find Target. I clicked the right one, navigated to the folder, but try as I could, it would not let me select that folder. There's no Save button or anything like that in File Explorer. You just have to close the window -- and when you're returned to the Location tab, the old default folder is still there.

I tried it a second time, and this time, clicked the Move button -- and while the contents of the default folder were (in fact) moved to the other folder, once I closed the window, the old default folder was still there.

And, when I used the regedit hack that Brink provided, inside the Edge entries, there was no DefaultDownloadDirectory key -- I had to create one.

Mark Phelps, Jul 11, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yeah, it's not there by default, and needs to be created.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft will have a setting in Microsoft Edge settings for this by the RTM build though. If/when they do, I'll add that option to the tutorial as well. *Smile

Brink, Jul 11, 2015
  12. Edwin New Member
    Edwin, Jul 11, 2015
  13. Tom Dial Win User

The methods described here (whether they work or not) seem quite unacceptable. Both appear intended to allow the destination to be set to *one* non-default location at a time. A clearly desirable option is what Chromium, and I think Firefox and possibly others offer: a pop-up, prefilled with a default that can be overtyped and containing a browse button to choose a different location.

My particular use case is that I want to save the installer or software for third party products (e. g., Garmin Training Center) somewhere other than the default folder in which I would save documents downloaded for later reading.

Unless this is added by release time I will not be using Edge and expect to have some company.

Tom Dial, Jul 12, 2015
  14. Yes, and just to be clear, you have to right click on that entry, "default downloads directory" after you create it and choose "Modify" which opens a separate bubble with the field to write in the address. Tested it with a pdf download and it worked. THANKYOU!

atomheart411, Aug 20, 2015
  15. Observation: In Internet Explorer, when you click on a .pdf, Word, Excel, etc.. file link inside of a webpage, the document opens in your chosen default application.

Question: Is that document/file saved someplace that's invisible (maybe a system TEMP folder?) unless/until you choose to save it to a specific folder for later retrieval? In Edge, every time I open a link to anything, that item is saved to my "downloads" folder. I don't want that. If I don't intentionally save the file, I'd rather not ever see it again. I'd rather have Edge work like I.E. in this regard. Is there an easy way for casual users to do this?

AllenChicago, Sep 22, 2015
Thema:

1. Change default Downloads folder in Edge - Similar Threads - Change default Downloads

2. How change the default Download folder from OneDrive to another folder

in Windows 10 Support
    How change the default Download folder from OneDrive to another folder: Out new Win10-Home seems to send new downloads to OneDrive as a default. We do not want or need the OneDrive software and desire to delete OneDrive as soon as we can. How do we direct future downloads to a new Download folder or any other folder of our choice? 161218
  3. How to change the Download folder in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to change the Download folder in Microsoft Edge: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The new Microsoft Edge web browser is pretty awesome, right? We agree. At first, we were skeptical, but after using it for a while, we can say for certain that it’s worth the effort. Now, it’s not yet perfect, but [...] This post How to change the Download...
  4. Changing Edge as my default browser!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing Edge as my default browser!: I am really annoyed: I got a message telling me that Edge would be a faster and more secure search engine; so I opted for it. However I had no idea that it would then stop me using Google Chrome! otherwise I would not have changed from the original. I am very angry to find...
  5. How to Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge Chromium

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge Chromium: How to: How to Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge Chromium How to Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge Chromium Microsoft has adopted the Chromium open source project in the development of Microsoft Edge on the desktop to create better web...
  6. Change the default Download folder for Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Change the default Download folder for Edge: Is there a way to change the default folder for downloads in Edge? I don't really want downloads being directed to my C: which is a SSD. I would prefer to change this to my HDD. Internet Explorer allowed this. Even if it means a manual registry edit, happy to do it, if...
  7. Edge: Default Download Location?

in Browsers and Email
    Edge: Default Download Location?: How do I change the Default Download Location in Edge? 10084
  8. Microsoft Edge Favorites not in default folder but availalbe in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge Favorites not in default folder but availalbe in Edge: Since installing the November Windows 10 update (11/17/15) none of my favorites are being stored in the default Edge folder. While in Edge the favorites are available but when I go to the default folder they are not listed. Is there another location they may be being saved or...
  9. Change Default Downloads Folder for Nearby Sharing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Downloads Folder for Nearby Sharing in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Downloads Folder for Nearby Sharing in Windows 10 How to Change Default Downloads Folder for Nearby Sharing in Windows 10 Microsoft introduced a new Near Share feature starting with Windows 10 build 17035. Near Share was renamed to Nearby...
  10. Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be...