Windows 10: Change edition, Windows 10 Home to Pro

Discus and support Change edition, Windows 10 Home to Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, i have upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home. I 'm trying to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro edition from usb installation files and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by subwrc, Dec 13, 2015.

1. subwrc Win User

Change edition, Windows 10 Home to Pro

Hi,
    i have upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home. I 'm trying to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro edition from usb installation files and not store. After running setup.exe and choosing Upgrade i reach in a screen as this but it says home instead of pro and i cannot change it anyway. I also tried putting ei.cfg in sources folder with the following configuration but with no success :
    [EditionID]
    Professional
    [Channel]
    Retail
    As i use the laptop for development and it has many extras i would like to avoid the time consuming process of clean installation and just do the upgrade to pro and insert the pro key afterwards. Is this possible?

:)

subwrc, Dec 13, 2015

2. Trying to downgrade Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Home

Hey guys I had Windows 7 and went through the Microsoft site to upgrade to Windows 10. It gave me Windows 10 Pro edition and had some activation issues. I bought Windows 10 home from a retail store and have tried to downgrade the pro to home edition and
    no matter what I do it just keeps installing the pro version through the usb. How do I change it to home edition?

CameronBrabazon, Dec 13, 2015
  3. Upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

Will I lose my drivers, apps or files if I upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro?

I am upgrading to Pro because I want to change the language of the OS, and the Home edition will not let me change it. Will I be able to change the language if I upgrade to Pro?

SergioPerez22, Dec 13, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

The following is how I understand it.
    If you do have a Win 10 Pro key.................
    Go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > left side, Activation > right side, Change product key > enter the generic Win 10 pro product key ............VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
    That will take you to Pro version but NOT activation.
    You can then use your Win 10 Pro key to activate.

davidhk, Dec 13, 2015
  5. subwrc Win User
    *Eek Oh my god! It worked! Changed to Pro in two minutes installation! *Biggrin Really thank you!

subwrc, Dec 13, 2015
  6. davidhk Win User
    Nice. You are welcome.
    Please mark this thread as Solved.
    Thank you.

davidhk, Dec 13, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
  8. subwrc Win User

subwrc, Dec 13, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If you already have a Pro key, you could enter it using the method in the tutorial to upgrade to Pro and be automatically activated with that key.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change edition, Windows 10 Home to Pro - Similar Threads - Change edition Home

2. Windows 10 Home vs Pro edition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Home vs Pro edition: I always install Pro edition everywhere. Few days ago I decided to install windows 10 home on my home pc. First thing I observed is that even if you sign in with Microsoft account, you do not need to have password on your account. Also during setup it asks to enter your...
  3. Updated to Windows 10 pro edition from home Windows 10 home edition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updated to Windows 10 pro edition from home Windows 10 home edition: My laptop has windows 10 home edition. But I required Windows 10 pro edition. So.., is there any options to update my edition. Please help me out with this....
  4. Upgrading Windows 10 Home Edition to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading Windows 10 Home Edition to Windows 10 Pro: I have purchased yesterday a new laptop with windows 10 home edition and paid for an upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft Store. However, when i try to activate it wont, asking for a digital license or key. The only thing i manage to retrieve from the order history was...
  5. Upgrade windows 10 home edition to windows pro

Upgrade windows 10 home edition to windows pro: Hi, My employer have assigned me a product key of windows 10 Pro edition to upgrade my laptop from windows 10 home edition to windows 10 pro. However I am getting below error while trying to do so. Error Message: The Product key you entered didn't work. Check the product...
  6. Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro Edition from Windows 10 Home Edition

Upgrading to Windows 10 Pro Edition from Windows 10 Home Edition: I currently have a license and USB Flash drive containing Windows 10 Home Edition. I'm considering doing the upgrade to Professional Edition for $99. If I perform that upgrade will I then have a new Professional product key that will allow me to perform a clean reinstall...
  7. Need help in changing Windows edition from Windows 10 pro to Windows 10 Home

Need help in changing Windows edition from Windows 10 pro to Windows 10 Home: Hi, I bought a new laptop with pre-installed windows 10 Home. As I have a requirement of windows 10 pro, I used a product key from internet. Edition of windows changed to Windows 10 pro but getting error message like windows is not activated. Requirement: I want to change...
  8. Downgrading Windows 10 Pro Edition To Home Edition...

Downgrading Windows 10 Pro Edition To Home Edition...: I recently just finished building my dream pc & managed to get Windows 10 on it without any actual "issues". The only thing I didn't realize until later on was that I originally intended to get Windows 10Home edition & instead I have the Windows 10 Pro edition which I don't...
  9. Switching from Windows 10 pro edition to home edition

Switching from Windows 10 pro edition to home edition: Hi everyone! Just recently bought a new pc, problem is, I expected it to come with windows 10 home edition as usual, but it came with an unactivated version of windows 10 pro edition. I tried using the media creation tool but the option for windows 10 home edition didnt...
  10. Help with changing windows 10 pro edition to windows 10 home edition.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help with changing windows 10 pro edition to windows 10 home edition.: change windows 10 pro edition that is not activated to windows 10 home un activated so I can use a product key to activate windows 10 home https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-with-changing-windows-10-pro-edition-to/59ef65b3-3351-4c92-8736-52d8ea06034e