Windows 10: Change Folder Template in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Folder Template in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Great news. *Smile Yeah, it would be nice to have a "Customize" option for the desktop folder. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Michael, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change Folder Template in Windows 10

Great news. *Smile

Yeah, it would be nice to have a "Customize" option for the desktop folder.

Brink, Jul 1, 2017
  2. vijer Win User

Actually, if you change the view of a General Items folder then Select the View in Folder Options and Apply to Folder before running the batch file it seems to make all the folders display the same.

Awesome!

vijer, Jul 2, 2017
  3. arachnaut Win User
    Has this behavior changed recently?
    I have option 3 - Automatic Folder Type Discovery - off.
    All my folders are set to 'General'.
    I had a custom Folders Details list.
    That was working fine until recently.
    Now it seems that random folders are losing their Folder Details setting.
    I wonder if the last update did something.
    I'm using 1703 15063.540

Change Folder Template in Windows 10 [​IMG]

arachnaut, Aug 19, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Jim, *Smile

It's not unusual for settings to sometimes be reset to default after a new build update is installed.

Brink, Aug 19, 2017
  5. arachnaut Win User
    OK, but folders whose customize setting is 'General' are no longer showing the General File Details settings.
    If I go into Folder options and reset the General view to be one that has my Folder details, there are many other folders who do not seem to inherit that view.

This behavior seems different - I never had that problem before, and I've gone through countless updates.

arachnaut, Aug 19, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 19, 2017
  7. arachnaut Win User
    Yes I use that method.
    Almost every folder has the view shown in the image below - with all the dates, links, etc.
    The ones that now show differently are the default view like the other one below.
    I go into those folders, open Folder properties, change the folder view details, then apply to all folders.
    These types of 'General' folders now change, but others do not.
    I have backed up all the settings, and the saved data is quite large, so I wonder if there is some limit to the number of 'bags' saved?

Backed up settings, folder view here is my 'default'. Note the sizes:

These are Libraries, which I know are different, but it shows the types of view other 'general' views might display:

arachnaut, Aug 19, 2017
  8. arachnaut Win User

In a totally different topic, I have seen my Toolbars disappear in this new update.
    I have several folders that I give a single Unicode dingbat name so the name is short, then put it on the tray.
    These toolbars have disappeared several times and had to be reset.
    That never happened before.
    I suspect some File Explorer changes are causing this.

arachnaut, Aug 19, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Is it possible that the folders that do not get applied to were added after the folder view backups were created, and could be why they do not get the views applied to them when restoring the backup?

I wouldn't be surprised if an update reset the folder view of some system folders back to default though.

I would definitely blame the update for resetting your toolbars back to default. You probably already have these backed up as well, but in case you don't:

Backup and Restore Taskbar Toolbars in Windows 10 Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials

Brink, Aug 19, 2017
  10. arachnaut Win User
    It's a mystery*chuckle

I'll live with it.

arachnaut, Aug 19, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    At least the backups should restore them for you.

Brink, Aug 19, 2017
  12. arachnaut Win User
    The display of folder details seem to be related to the path taken to that folder. Not the folder type or it's parent folder style.

For example, if I display a Library like 'Icons' from the Library path I see this:

But if I traverse the appdata path to the same library, I see this

The Appdata folder view is more detailed ('General' document view) than this subfolder which is also 'General'

arachnaut, Aug 19, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Correct. Each path to open the folder from has its own separate folder view.

Brink, Aug 19, 2017
  14. explor202 Win User
    I know this is an old post, but no joke I use the General.bat file for every build I do. Now I'm finally getting around to creating my own 8.1WMC ISO and would like to incorporate the batch file or a registry entry into the Post-Setup section of NTLite, but I'm having a very difficult time getting it to work. Has anyone else been able to do that, and if so can you give me some pointers? Ideally I'd like the registry entry to be made or the batch file to be run at the first logon of a fresh install and have the general template applied automatically.

explor202, Dec 22, 2017
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello explor202, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

The part of restarting explorer in the .bat may be what is causing the issue, but it is required right after running the .bat to apply the folder views. If the explorer process is restarted later, it may not work properly.

Brink, Dec 22, 2017
Thema:

1. Change Folder Template in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Folder Template

2. How to change Library folder template on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Library folder template on Windows 10: If you want to change the view or template of Library folders on Windows 10, then this guide will be handy for you. There is more than one method to use to get a different look for your Library folders. Library folders (Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, etc.) come as...
  3. How to change the Music folder template

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change the Music folder template: All the solutions on here work to an extent. They do not work if you want "Size all columns to fit" every time you open a Music folder. Can this be made to work on all Music Folders? It is really annoying having to select that option on every Music folder. Pete...
  4. folder template auto detection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    folder template auto detection: Hi, I would love my windows explorer to always show folders in "list" view pretty simple wish, right?. Now, I understand that this would be silly for, say the desktop, and there may be other folders that have to be except from the general rule. I further understand that...
  5. built-in folder templates

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    built-in folder templates: hello, i cant find an answer to what i am trying to achieve so i'll appreciate anyone's help.. There are 5 built-in folder view templates General, document, music, videos & picture i know i can change and save the view options in these 5 templates and i found lots of...
  6. Registry location for: "Optimize this folder for" templates

in Windows 10 Support
    Registry location for: "Optimize this folder for" templates: Hey all, I was wondering if anyone knew where the regedit location was for these default templates? I want to change the Picture template from Large to Extra Large. Basically I know of three ways to change folder views: Manually using the view quickbar - which is tedious....
  7. Folder Template Problem.

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Template Problem.: My default folder template in program files and program files(x86) suddenly change to Pictures type template. I don't want to change it manually 1 by 1. And whenever I install a program, the newly created folder template is always Pictures type folder, not the usual...
  8. Changing Built-In Folder View Templates For Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Built-In Folder View Templates For Windows Explorer: Hi everyone, In short, Windows 10 Anniversary has some nasty Windows Explorer (aka Windows File Explorer) habits which didn't exist in previous versions, so I'm trying to find a way to work around them until Microsoft gets off its behind and fixes them. The specific...
  9. Windows choice folder template chaotic

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows choice folder template chaotic: When I create a new folder on desktop or elsewhere (no files in it yet) it chooses as template "video" or sometimes "music" but not "general items". When I copy nested folders with files, which all have the template "general items", to a new location all these folders get...
  10. Change New Folder Name Template in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change New Folder Name Template in Windows: How to: Change New Folder Name Template in Windows How to Change Default New Folder Name Template in Windows A folder is a location where you can store your files. You can create any number of folders and even store folders inside other folders (subfolders). When you...