Windows 10: Change from password BACK to PIN?

Discus and support Change from password BACK to PIN? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; On one of the previews some time ago I changed from using a PIN over to a Windows/Microsoft logon password. Why? I don't recall. Now I want to go back... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by brucemc777, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Change from password BACK to PIN?

On one of the previews some time ago I changed from using a PIN over to a Windows/Microsoft logon password. Why? I don't recall. Now I want to go back to using a PIN but I can not find a route to do so. Settings: Accounts: Sign-in Options has areas for me to change my password and change my PIN and to add a picture password, but nothing to change which logon method I wish to use to revert back to using a PIN.

Your Account has options to change to a local account, but that's about it.

And as a side note, every time I select to change my password I get a "Something went wrong" "Try again or select cancel to set up your device later" in case that has any bearing on the solution...

I looked for a build number but ever since the preview numbers were taken from the desktop I do not know where to find one, in case that also might have bearing-

Thank-you for your consideration!

:)

brucemc777, Aug 5, 2015

2. Change PIN back to PASSWORD

Unfortunately the "Remove" button that was next to the Pin options in Windows 8.1 no longer exists. It is possible to revert from using a Pin to a Password in Windows 10 using the instructions below.

To remove your pin, click Start followed by Settings.

Select Accounts.

On the left panel, select Sign in Options.

Next to Pin, click I forgot my pin.

Click Continue.

Enter your Microsoft Account password and Sign in.

When prompted to enter a new pin, leave the fields blank and click Cancel.

Your pin will now be removed.

Chris_Bryson, Aug 5, 2015
  3. BMcNutt Win User
    Change PIN back to PASSWORD

When I originally set up Windows 10, I needed a master PASSWORD to open it. When I established a PIN, Windows 10 now requires this PIN instead of the original master PASSWORD. I would like to know how, if possible, to have Windows 10 require a PASSWORD
    as originally required.

BMcNutt, Aug 5, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Change from password BACK to PIN?

Brink, Aug 5, 2015
  5. Yes, this is where we get into the question of builds and settings and the sort... You see those words and pretty icons under your input area that currently says "PIN"? I don't have that, though my system keeps successfully updating on a regular basis... Ideas?

brucemc777, Aug 5, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Yep, what build are you on then?

Brink, Aug 5, 2015
  7. dwings02 Win User
    click the word "Sign-in Option" under the input area and the icons will appear

dwings02, Aug 5, 2015
  8. Change from password BACK to PIN?

@ Brink - Where will I find it? I presumed System, but I didn't see anything proper there!

@ dwings02 - A good part of my problem is that there isn't anything under the input area... Weird. I don't know if I could have turned something off in error.

brucemc777, Aug 5, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Bruce,

If it's an older preview build, then you'll have a watermark at the bottom right corner with the build number.

Otherwise, you can see it in winver.

You might also see if you may be able to remove the PIN, and add it back afterwards to sort this.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Aug 5, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That's the retail build. Any luck with removing the PIN?

Brink, Aug 5, 2015
  11. Though I don't know if the interim steps were needed, I followed the instructions to remove, rebooted the computer, added a PIN, rebooted and then the option was restored.

Thank-you!

brucemc777, Aug 5, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news. Sometimes the PIN can get borked from an upgrade. Removing it resets is. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Change from password BACK to PIN?

1. Change from password BACK to PIN? - Similar Threads - Change password PIN

2. Changing from password to pin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing from password to pin: I recently had to reset my computer. I also just updated to Windows 11 about two weeks ago. Up until now I was able to log in using a pin, now I can't.I go to settings-PIN use a pin to sign into windows...hit set up and it asks for my password. I type it in then nothing....
  3. Changing from password to pin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing from password to pin: I recently had to reset my computer. I also just updated to Windows 11 about two weeks ago. Up until now I was able to log in using a pin, now I can't.I go to settings-PIN use a pin to sign into windows...hit set up and it asks for my password. I type it in then nothing....
  4. Change from PIN to password to log in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change from PIN to password to log in: Forgive me if this has already been asked. I recently fell for the "sign in with a PIN" to log in to Windows. I now feel that this has WEAKENED my security by allowing a 1 in 9999 chance of accessing my system, whereas my previous 20+ character alpha-numeric and Case...
  5. Login changed from PIN to password, No option to change back to PIN

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Login changed from PIN to password, No option to change back to PIN: A Window update today has locked me out of Windows 10. Was using a PIN to log in. Now it wants a password. Anything I try comes back as incorrect. On the 6th attempt at the password it appears as if it is going to work. Then after 30-60 seconds it comes backs as incorrect...
  6. Login changed from PIN to password, No option to change back to PIN

in Windows 10 Support
    Login changed from PIN to password, No option to change back to PIN: A Window update today has locked me out of Windows 10. Was using a PIN to log in. Now it wants a password. Anything I try comes back as incorrect. On the 6th attempt at the password it appears as if it is going to work. Then after 30-60 seconds it comes backs as incorrect...
  7. Change from password to pin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Change from password to pin: Last night 11/23/2020, i got a received a new windows update in the middle of the night. It changed my login from pin to password on windows 10. How can I use command prompt to change it back to pin? I dont have the old password and bitlocker is not working either....
  8. Can I change from a "Sign -in Pin" back to a "Sign-in Password"?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can I change from a "Sign -in Pin" back to a "Sign-in Password"?: Greetings Ya'll, To make this brief,... I received a "Notification" about "Some kind of problem with My Account", that told me that I needed to create a "Pin". I used My regular Password, & that worked for a few days, but then I got another "Notification" that told me...
  9. Changing a password back to a pin

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changing a password back to a pin: After dealing with a new laptop, now I have to have the entire Microsoft password to get into my older little laptop. I'd love to get this changed back to just a 4 digit pin. Is there any way on earth to do this? The odd thing is, all I need is the pin to get into the new...
  10. Changing a password back to a pin

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing a password back to a pin: After dealing with a new laptop, now I have to have the entire Microsoft password to get into my older little laptop. I'd love to get this changed back to just a 4 digit pin. Is there any way on earth to do this? The odd thing is, all I need is the pin to get into the new...