Windows 10: Change Optimize Drives Schedule Settings in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Optimize Drives Schedule Settings in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Change Optimize Drives Schedule Settings in Windows 10 How to Change Schedule Settings for Optimize Drives in Windows 10 [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by ICIT2LOL, Apr 24, 2016.

1. ICIT2LOL Win User

Change Optimize Drives Schedule Settings in Windows 10

How to: Change Optimize Drives Schedule Settings in Windows 10

How to Change Schedule Settings for Optimize Drives in Windows 10

Change Optimize Drives Schedule Settings in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information One of the best ways you can improve your PC's performance is by optimizing the drive. Windows includes features to help optimize the different types of drives that PCs use today. No matter which type of drive your PC uses, Windows automatically chooses the optimization that's right for your drive.

By default, automatic maintenance. But you can also optimize drives on your PC manually.

You can turn on or off to run optimization on a schedule, select frequency to run schedule, and select the drives you want to optimize on a regular schedule.

See also: The real and complete story - Does Windows defragment your SSD? | SCOTT HANSELMAN

This tutorial will show you how to change the schedule settings for Optimize Drives to what you want in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to change the settings for Optimize Drives.

Here's How:

1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for how you would like to open Optimize Drives.

2. Open Optimize Drives from File Explorer Ribbon
    A) Open This PC in File Explorer.

B) Select any hard drive, click/tap on the Drive Tools Manage tab, click/tap on Optimize button in the ribbon, and go to step 4 below. (see screenshot below)

3. Open Optimize Drives from Drive Properties
    A) Open This PC in File Explorer.

B) Right click or press and hold on any hard drive, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

C) Click/tap on the Tools tab, click/tap on the Optimize button, and go to step 4 below. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Change settings button. (see screenshot below)

5. Do step 6 (off) or step 7 (on) below to turn on or off to run optimization on a regular schedule.

6. To Turn Off Run Optimize Drives on a Schedule
    A) Uncheck the Run on a schedule box, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. To Turn On Run Optimize Drives on a Schedule
    A) Check the Run on a schedule box. (see screenshot below)
    NOTE: This is the default setting.

B) Select a Daily, Weekly (default), or Monthly frequency you want.

C) Check (default) or uncheck to Notify if three consecutive scheduled runs are missed.

D) Click/tap on the Choose button.

E) Select the drives you want to optimize on a regular schedule. (see screenshot below)
    NOTE: Select all is the default setting.

F) Check (default) or uncheck to Automatically optimize new drives, click/tap on OK, and go to step 8 below.

8. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 6A or step 7D)

9. You can now close Optimize Drives if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

ICIT2LOL, Apr 24, 2016
  2. Martmcd Win User

defragment

How is it responding?

it is automatic in windows 10. (default is all drives once a week)

open windows explorer, right click on a hard drive and select properties.

select the tools tab and click the optimize button

under 'scheduled optimization' click change settings

you can select drives, change frequency etc

Martmcd, Apr 24, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Disk usage 100 %

I had the same problem. I tried turning off automatic optimization/defragmenting and that made it way better, but still a bit slower than when I was using windows 7. To do this search for 'defragment and optimize drives', open and change the settings scheduled
    optimization so that 'run on a schedule' is unchecked.

davidhamill, Apr 24, 2016
  4. MacWin Win User

How do I set the time of day for schedule? Would like optimization to run at night, prior to automatic imaging.

MacWin, Dec 7, 2016
  5. MacWin Win User
    Looks like this is the answer.

MacWin, Dec 7, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    That would be correct. *Smile

Brink, Dec 7, 2016
  7. MUGEN02 Win User
    I have my SSD set to optimize daily, but it never optimizes the drive, even after a week of usage. I use sleep mode a lot if that means anything. I don't receive any notification they it's not optimizing the drive either. I have a 2TB Samsung 850 pro connected to a PCIE 2.0 sata 3 controller card.

MUGEN02, Feb 6, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello MUGEN02,

It's usually best to set the schedule to run at a time the computer will be running.

If you like, you might also set your Automatic Maintenance settings to be able to wake the computer to run to help.

Automatic Maintenance - Change Settings in Windows 10

Brink, Feb 6, 2017
  9. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Hwello Shawn does this apply to dual boot drives ?? ie pick the "drive" - partition and set each differently or the same whatever one wants?

ICIT2LOL, May 12, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Basically, you would set the schedule to how and when you want for all drives you select to be optimized on the schedule. Personally, I would uncheck the "Recovery" drive sine it doesn't get written to.

Brink, May 12, 2017
  11. omidsolo Win User
    Howdy, please share the registry address for scheduler *Smile

omidsolo, Dec 4, 2017
  12. omidsolo Win User
    No registry to disable Scheduled Defrag? *Smile

omidsolo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Optimize Drives Schedule Settings in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Optimize Drives

2. Optimize drive schedule is set but never runs consistently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Optimize drive schedule is set but never runs consistently: I practically have the same issue as this post from 8 years ago Yes, EIGHT YEARS AGO.... Let me describe my situation: I have Optimize Drives TRIM as they have been by default set to run weekly, with the setting increase task priority also checked for my SSDs Nevertheless,...
  3. Optimize drive schedule is set but never runs consistently

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Optimize drive schedule is set but never runs consistently: I practically have the same issue as this post from 8 years ago Yes, EIGHT YEARS AGO.... Let me describe my situation: I have Optimize Drives TRIM as they have been by default set to run weekly, with the setting increase task priority also checked for my SSDs Nevertheless,...
  4. Optimize drive schedule is set but never runs consistently

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Optimize Drives Not Occurring on Set Schedule

Optimize Drives Not Occurring on Set Schedule: I have Optimize Drives set to a monthly schedule. However, I noticed this morning that it has been 32 days since the last optimization and it reads "Needs Optimization." I performed a manual optimization. This utility was broke for a long time until Microsoft fixed it with...
  6. Windows 10 & Optimize Drives schedule

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 & Optimize Drives schedule: Hello, I'm using Windows 10 version 1909, OS build 18363.900 - latest available for my PC, which is installed on a Kingston A400 SSD. As well known, the SSD needs to be trimmed optimized weekly. Windows have that Optimize Drives tool the old Defragmenter which can do this....
  7. The schedule in Optimize drives never works

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    The schedule in Optimize drives never works: Hello! I've set it to optimize or trim my SSD everyday and increase priority if three consecutive scheduled runs are missed but it never optimizes it. It just plain doesn't work. It's been like this for years and I never can get it working how come? Running version 1909....
  8. Defragment and Optimize Drives & Task scheduler not working.

Defragment and Optimize Drives & Task scheduler not working.: I want to defrag my drives but I get an error every time I start up the defragment service. The error I am getting is "Storage optimization cannot start because the task scheduler service is not running. Start the task scheduler service and try again.". And when I start the...
  9. Drive Optimize Scheduler not working

Drive Optimize Scheduler not working: As you can see from my printscreen scheduler isn't working. Sometimes it goes up to 40 days last run, I have to do it manually every single time I remember doing it. Windows 10 has NEVER done automatic trimming/defragging on any drive. Anyone have a similar issue?...
  10. How do I set the TIME of Optimize Drives schedule

How do I set the TIME of Optimize Drives schedule: I am setting my Optimization (defrag) schedule to "Run on a schedule (recommended)", Frequency: Weekly and I checked "Notify me if three consecutive schedule runs are missed". Questions: 1. How to do I set the time of the optimization run? I don't want it to run while...