Windows 10: Change Permissions of Objects for Users and Groups in Windows 10

Discus and support Change Permissions of Objects for Users and Groups in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; There is one aspect of permissions I have not found an explanation for. There is a difference in behaviour for different categories of folder once... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Try3, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Try3 Win User

Change Permissions of Objects for Users and Groups in Windows 10

There is one aspect of permissions I have not found an explanation for. There is a difference in behaviour for different categories of folder once permissions have been granted - some permissions have permanent effect whilst others need to be repeated at every access.Case 1 - I use my Admin status to give myself access permissions to another user's folders such as C:\Users\Winger\Documents. This new permission has permanent effect.
    Case 2 - I use my Admin status to give myself access permissions to, for example, C:\Program files or C:\Tools** and all their subfolders. This new permission has to be re-granted for each individual access.I cannot find the property that determines the difference in behaviour. Do you know anything about this?

** C:\Tools [owned by the Administrators group] is where I keep all my batch files, vbs files, vba add-ins, ... so the need for re-granting permissions every time is exactly what I want to protect the contents from unauthorised or accidental changes. It's just that I do not understand why it works.

Denis

:)

2. how do i gain access to special permissions?

Where in the system are you trying to change permissions?

The owner of the object controls how permissions are set on the object and to whom permissions are granted.

The Take Ownership permission on an object or the Restore files and directories user right are the minimum requirements to complete this procedure. Review the details in "Additional considerations" in this topic.

To take ownership of a file or folder

Open File Explorer, and then locate the file or folder you want to take ownership of.

Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.

Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

Click Edit, and then do one of the following:

To change the owner to a user or group that is not listed, click Other users and groups and, in Enter the object name to select (examples), type the name of the user or group, and then click OK.

To change the owner to a user or group that is listed, in the Change owner to box, click the new owner.

(Optional) To change the owner of all subcontainers and objects within the tree, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

Andre Da Costa, Nov 22, 2017
  3. denied access

Where in the system is this folder located?

If this is a system folder, you might get that error message?

The owner of the object controls how permissions are set on the object and to whom permissions are granted.

The Take Ownership permission on an object or the Restore files and directories user right are the minimum requirements to complete this procedure. Review the details in "Additional considerations" in this topic.

To take ownership of a file or folder

Open Windows Explorer, and then locate the file or folder you want to take ownership of.

Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.

Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

Click Edit, and then do one of the following:

To change the owner to a user or group that is not listed, click Other users and groups and, in Enter the object name to select (examples), type the name of the user or group, and then click OK.

To change the owner to a user or group that is listed, in the Change owner to box, click the new owner.

(Optional) To change the owner of all subcontainers and objects within the tree, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

Andre Da Costa, Nov 22, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Denis, *Smile

I haven't found it yet either other than having to manually change permissions afterwards.

Brink, Nov 22, 2017
  5. Try3 Win User
    Brink,

Thanks for such a quick response. If I ever find an answer I'll post it here.

Denis

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Change Permissions of Objects for Users and Groups in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Change Permissions Objects

2. Windows 10 Power Users group.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Power Users group.: I'm looking for information on the permissions above the standard "Users" group that "Power Users" has. Everything I have found states that Power Users in Win 10 has NO permissions above the standard user, but that is obviously not the case. I have two applications that...
  3. Setting Users Permissions Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Setting Users Permissions Windows 10: We currently have windows 10 PC's. One is considered the main PC that has a drive (T:) in it that holds all of the data. I am attempting to configure T: to give a user (referred to as Bob the rest of the way) access to only one folder, and not let them have access to the...
  4. Windows 10; Changes to GROUP POLICY pathways

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10; Changes to GROUP POLICY pathways: Currently, I am running W10 Version 1809 OS build 17763.55 on two laptops. Recently, I am getting an error code 0x80070643 while updating Windows. Researching this code it indicates that I need to create a different pathway in the GROUP POLICY settings in order to work around...
  5. User Group Membership

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Group Membership: Hello, I have put a group policy in place to remove local admin rights for all our users (currently a test group) and on member is in the IT department. I have removed his account from the Domain Admin group but the policy isn't applying correctly, his account can still...
  6. Change file/folder permission to machine/user only

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change file/folder permission to machine/user only: Is there a way to make take ownership change file/folder permission to machine/user while getting rid of old and or corrupted information? Just something that came to mind when I was fooling with format/reinstalling windose again. I dunno if its something to be aware of...
  7. Windows 10 Education User Group Policy's

Windows 10 Education User Group Policy's: Hi, I have a set up two Windows 10 Education Edition laptops. I would like to configure them both with the same settings/permissions. How can a I make a "User Group" and add policies to it. For example: Have a "User Group" called "Kids" and then be allowed to...
  8. How to add "SELF" as a group or user when assigning permissions

How to add "SELF" as a group or user when assigning permissions: I'm trying to add "SELF" to the group of "users & groups" that need Launch and Activation Permission for the DCOM app named RuntimeBroker. If I click on the "Add" button, "SELF" is not listed as either a Group or user. So, I'm thinking maybe I need to enter it with a...
  9. No users visible in Local Users and Groups

No users visible in Local Users and Groups: After forgetting the local administrator password, I followed that guide for offline editing the SAM registry file. This clearly caused a problem, because no I see no users in LUAG as per the attached. All the accounts work fine, except the built-in administrator account...
  10. Change Group by Folder View in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Group by Folder View in Windows 10: PLEASE, I NEED HELP ... you are explaining something on the "group view" ... but how I can define the letters which will be in group? Like: in your show case there are two groups "A - H" and "Q - Z"; two columns (how come exactly those two - why?). How I can change that...