Windows 10: Change the default Download folder for Edge

Discus and support Change the default Download folder for Edge in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Is there a way to change the default folder for downloads in Edge? I don't really want downloads being directed to my C: which is a SSD. I would prefer... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by GregH, Sep 4, 2015.

1. GregH Win User

Change the default Download folder for Edge

Is there a way to change the default folder for downloads in Edge? I don't really want downloads being directed to my C: which is a SSD. I would prefer to change this to my HDD. Internet Explorer allowed this.

Even if it means a manual registry edit, happy to do it, if someone knows how?

:)

GregH, Sep 4, 2015

2. Is there any way to choose a download location and name in Edge instead of getting the default name and the Download directory?

Changing the default download location for Edge.

It will require a change of the registry using regedit.exe, but you can move Edge's default download location to a place of your liking. See the tenforums.com post at the link below.

It is an easy change, however, be sure to back up your registry first. If you aren't comfortable editing the Windows registry, find a geek friend who can help you out.

How to Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

(Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10)

I have not found a solution for changing the file name before download.

Robert Share, Sep 4, 2015
  3. Arul_D Win User
    How to select where Egde saves a file

Hello,

From the description of the issue, I understand that you want to change the default Download Directory in Microsoft Edge.

Please be informed that when you use Microsoft Edge to download a file from the Internet, it is saved to the default downloads folder. The default downloads folder in Microsoft Edge is your %UserProfile%/Downloads folder.

Currently, Microsoft Edge does not include a setting to change the default downloads folder.

However, a work around would be to change the default download location from within the File Explorer.

1. Launch File Explorer and locate the Downloads folder on the left.

2. Right-click on the Download folder and select Properties.

3. Click the Location tab, and enter a new path. Click Apply.

This creates a new download location. If you want to move the existing one (taking any completed downloads with it), click on Move, choose a new folder location and click Yes.

Hope the above information was useful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Arul_D, Sep 4, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8...dows-10-a.html

Edwin, Sep 4, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    BunnyJ, Sep 4, 2015
  6. GregH Win User
    Thanks! Microsoft sure buried that deep in the registry. I made the change. Wonder if they will update this to be a user setting in the future as many will want this, especially with SSD's. IE offers it as a standard option.

GregH, Sep 5, 2015
  7. sharene Win User
    The second link took me to the correct page, I followed what the graphic said, however, I did not have that "DEFAULT DOWNLOAD DIRECTORY" in mine. I double checked everything...

I took screen shot, attached hereto. Perhaps you will see where I went wrong??

Thank you!

sharene, Sep 11, 2015
  8. Edwin New Member

You have to create the String:

Change the default Download folder for Edge [​IMG]

Edwin, Sep 11, 2015
  9. dacrone Win User
    I found that the best solution (in my opinion) is to set the default DL location to C:\Winodws\Web as this will prohibit downloads due to folder access. Then if you need to download a file, rather than having Edge auto download stuff, you can click the ... icon and open the page in IE and "Save As". Just a quick tip/thought.

dacrone, Sep 17, 2015
  10. I'd like to have Edge put everything in a Temp directory the way IE-11 does, unless I do a "Save As" to put it in a specific folder. I was astounded to see how much crap Edge had saved in my "Downloads" folder. Every .pdf I've opened and read in the past month of using Edge is sitting in that permanent folder. Holy smokes. Had to do a mass deletion of documents just now.

AllenChicago, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Change the default Download folder for Edge - Similar Threads - Change default Download

2. How change the default Download folder from OneDrive to another folder

in Windows 10 Support
    How change the default Download folder from OneDrive to another folder: Out new Win10-Home seems to send new downloads to OneDrive as a default. We do not want or need the OneDrive software and desire to delete OneDrive as soon as we can. How do we direct future downloads to a new Download folder or any other folder of our choice? 161218
  3. How to change the Download folder in Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to change the Download folder in Microsoft Edge: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The new Microsoft Edge web browser is pretty awesome, right? We agree. At first, we were skeptical, but after using it for a while, we can say for certain that it’s worth the effort. Now, it’s not yet perfect, but [...] This post How to change the Download...
  4. Changing Edge as my default browser!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing Edge as my default browser!: I am really annoyed: I got a message telling me that Edge would be a faster and more secure search engine; so I opted for it. However I had no idea that it would then stop me using Google Chrome! otherwise I would not have changed from the original. I am very angry to find...
  5. How to Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge Chromium

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge Chromium: How to: How to Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge Chromium How to Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge Chromium Microsoft has adopted the Chromium open source project in the development of Microsoft Edge on the desktop to create better web...
  6. Edge: Default Download Location?

in Browsers and Email
    Edge: Default Download Location?: How do I change the Default Download Location in Edge? 10084
  7. Microsoft Edge Favorites not in default folder but availalbe in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge Favorites not in default folder but availalbe in Edge: Since installing the November Windows 10 update (11/17/15) none of my favorites are being stored in the default Edge folder. While in Edge the favorites are available but when I go to the default folder they are not listed. Is there another location they may be being saved or...
  8. Change default Downloads folder in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Change default Downloads folder in Edge: Anyone know how to change the default Downloads folder in Edge in build 10159? I've looked through all the settings, including the Advanced ones, and there's nowhere to change this. 7619
  9. Change Default Downloads Folder for Nearby Sharing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Downloads Folder for Nearby Sharing in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Downloads Folder for Nearby Sharing in Windows 10 How to Change Default Downloads Folder for Nearby Sharing in Windows 10 Microsoft introduced a new Near Share feature starting with Windows 10 build 17035. Near Share was renamed to Nearby...
  10. Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Change Default Downloads Folder in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be...