Windows 10: Changing default app won't stick

Discus and support Changing default app won't stick in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all I am trying to give Windows Photo Viewer all its (file extension) defaults I have tried two ways to set Windows Photo Viewer as default:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jacobacci, Mar 20, 2017.

1. jacobacci Win User

Changing default app won't stick

Hi all
    I am trying to give Windows Photo Viewer all its (file extension) defaults

I have tried two ways to set Windows Photo Viewer as default:

Control Panel / Default Programs / Set your default programs / Windows Photo Viewer
    Whatever I do, windows does not let me assign more that two defaults to Windows Photo Viewer. e.g. jpg cannot be assigned.

Changing default app won't stick [​IMG]

Setting / System / Default apps
    When I click Photo Viewer chose a default, a list pops up, but it does not contain Windows Photo Viewer.

Changing default app won't stick [​IMG]

Also I tried to set jRiver as the default for Video Player. It does appear in the list and I can select it in the list, but it will not appear as the default Video Player.

If I chose Photos as the Photo Viewer app, it appears as the default for both Photo Viewer and Video Player.

Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong here?

:)

jacobacci, Mar 20, 2017

2. web browser selection

I cannot seem to get the selection for the web browser to stick

I have been able to change others default apps but not this one

Help

WayneHayes1960, Mar 20, 2017
  3. Cannot set "Calendar" as default app

I don't understand your suggestion. The Mail app is already the default email app. I've tried changing it to something else and then changing it back to Mail. It doesn't work. If you mean set the Mail app as the default Calendar app then it won't let me
    do that. Nothing shows up in the options for "Choose a default."

Andy Hranek, Mar 20, 2017
  4. jacobacci Win User

Solved:
    I had to unregister Windows Photo Viewer and then restore it as outlined here:
    Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

Then I gave jRiver all its defaults (this includes the ones for photo files) and finally I gave Windows Photo Viewer all its defaults.

This time the defaults were accepted and they stick, so all is well.

jacobacci, Mar 20, 2017
Thema:

1. Changing default app won't stick - Similar Threads - Changing default app

2. change "default app"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change "default app": I have just bought a new computer and moved from Win10 to Win11.I used a program on the Win10 D: drive, which when moved to the new computer became the Win11 G: drive. The program's data file contains much of the license data used to reinstall the programs in the old Win10...
  3. change "default app"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change "default app": I have just bought a new computer and moved from Win10 to Win11.I used a program on the Win10 D: drive, which when moved to the new computer became the Win11 G: drive. The program's data file contains much of the license data used to reinstall the programs in the old Win10...
  4. Change to NO default App

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change to NO default App: for HTT files windows has Robohelp as the default program. I did this. I want to change it to NOTHING. I don't want windows to choose any app for HTT file types. Currently when in Robohelp, if I try to open an .htt file, windows opens a new instance of the application....
  5. Changing default apps

Changing default apps: I have a old MS word program2010that I own and works well on my Win 10 pc. When I open any doc the default program or app is the one that came with the the Win 10 PC, which you have to activate and purchase. Im perfectly happy with my old version. When I go to change it in...
  6. Default App change

Default App change: Windows 10 does not appear to give me the ability to change my browser default. The current comments I'm reading seem to confirm this. Is it true? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-app-change/308c282c-6769-4cd6-bef7-d3d46ade53f7
  7. Default app assignments to filename extensions do not stick.

Default app assignments to filename extensions do not stick.: There seems to be a collision between the Windows Paint3D photo editor and the Irfanview photo editor when it comes to setting Irfanview as the default app to for .JPG files. I set it and then opening a .JGP file, the app reverts to Paint3D. Is there something I can do about...
  8. changing default apps

changing default apps: I cannot change twinui as default app for videos or photos I turned off screen lock and now I can change default to playing music but when I try change default app for photos or videos the window just closes...
  9. JNLP default won't change.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    JNLP default won't change.: I was attempting to open a JNLP file with Java (per usual) when Windows 10 told me I did not have a default application and I could choose one if I'd like, which I would so I don't have to browse every time. When I selected Java as my default application it failed to launch...
  10. Default Program won't change?

Default Program won't change?: I am trying to set my default programs in windows 10 but it is having none of it. It just sticks on the grey square with "Choose a default". If I reset it goes back to edge, I then try and click Chrome and it is still edge. If I refresh the page it is back to the "Choose a...