Windows 10: Changing default Date column in File Explorer

Discus and support Changing default Date column in File Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; One change I dislike in Win 10 is the 'Date' column. This seems to be the same as Date Created, which I rarely want to see. By far the most useful date... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Terrypin, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Terrypin Win User

Changing default Date column in File Explorer

One change I dislike in Win 10 is the 'Date' column. This seems to be the same as Date Created, which I rarely want to see. By far the most useful date for me is Date Modified, which was the standard in XP. How do I set that as the column that will always appear in all folders please, replacing 'Date'?

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Feb 4, 2017
  2. Rod_C1 Win User

Windows 10 File Explorer unable to save changes

I don't seem to be able to permanently change the default columns presented in File Explorer.

I change then to how I want them, then when the window is closed and re-opened, or a new window opened, they are back to the default. For example, most of the files I am dealing with are MP3 audio files, so I need to see the file name, title, creation date,
    modified date, size and bit rate. I set up the view like this then next time I go into File Explorer they have mostly disappeared and the default ones are back.

Regards

Rod C

Rod_C1, Feb 4, 2017
  3. Photos app dates

I was looking at the file list in explorer, the only date column showing was date modified. I went back into explorer after receiving your reply and added date created to the columns showing and both date created and date modified had the 2100 date. Found
    a little utility called bulkfilechanger and was able to change both dates for all files in that album in a batch with a single action...NICE! Thanks for your reply.

BobMorrison, Feb 4, 2017
  4. Changing default Date column in File Explorer

If you right click in the column title area you can turn on "Date Modified" and disable "Date Created".Then in the ribbon at the top, on right hand side click "Options". Then View tab, then "Apply to folders"

Caledon Ken, Feb 4, 2017
  5. Kari Win User
    At least in all my Windows 10 installations Date Modified is default. If not happy with it I can select other date related details as Sort / Group criteria.

Changing default Date column in File Explorer [​IMG]

Kari, Feb 4, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Feb 4, 2017
  7. Terrypin Win User
    Thanks both, I'll try that as soon as I get back to my PC.

Terrypin, Feb 4, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome. Please let us know how it went. *Smile

Brink, Feb 4, 2017
  9. Terrypin Win User
    Works a treat thanks. And I'm embarrrased I didn't find it myself, as it was one of the first things I did some 15 years ago on my XP PC, my previous computer before this. I guess I'm still having some difficulty finding everything in that rather complex 'ribbon'.

(Same issue in my new version of Excel, '365', as Win 10 refused to run my trusty Excel 2000 .)

Terrypin, Feb 5, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news.

It does take some time to get used to when you're used to the previous way. *Smile

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Changing default Date column in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Changing default Date

2. Windows 11 File Explorer - Can I change the default columns displayed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer - Can I change the default columns displayed?: I am on Windows 11, Version 22H2. I use File Explorer a lot, particularly for managing photos.Every time I open a File Explorer window for a different folder or directory, as I always knew them I have to right-click to get rid of "Type" which I don't need I can read file...
  3. Windows 11 File Explorer - Can I change the default columns displayed?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 File Explorer - Can I change the default columns displayed?: I am on Windows 11, Version 22H2. I use File Explorer a lot, particularly for managing photos.Every time I open a File Explorer window for a different folder or directory, as I always knew them I have to right-click to get rid of "Type" which I don't need I can read file...
  4. dates different for downloaded files in date column.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    dates different for downloaded files in date column.: Every time I save a file, the dates column shows different dates for every file previous dates..., my laptop clock is accurate ... How do I resolve the issue???...
  5. Setting default columns size in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting default columns size in File Explorer: Since I have read this forum about so many people asking how to apply settings for a default column size in File Explorer, I thought I would answer it since no one here at Microsoft correctly identified it. Even though they did give you their best answer - it is rather quite...
  6. file explorer columns

file explorer columns: The problem is since update to version 1909 the bit rate is not showing in file explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-columns/a243c5e2-ac14-4cae-b62e-895a75d97cae
  7. Windows Explorer Default File Columns

Windows Explorer Default File Columns: Is there a way to change the default columns when viewing in Windows Explorer? Every time I create a new folder, especially for audio files, I have to change the configuration of what info I want to see. And sometimes Windows doesn't SAVE that configuration? I have tried...
  8. Customising default columns in File Explorer (Win 10)

Customising default columns in File Explorer (Win 10): I am doing a lot of work with umpteen folders and I would find it easier if I could customise the columns in File Explorer instead of having to reset them with each change of folder. So far all the methods I have read just don't work. Before I finally accept that this is no...
  9. Customize File Explorer Search Default Columns

Customize File Explorer Search Default Columns: Long time lurker, first post in this forum. First Let me say hello and thanks to Brink and other contributors for all the great tips and tricks, I've used a ton of them since sevenforums.com and now tenforums.com. Last year I moved from win7 to win 10 with a new laptop and...
  10. File Explorer Date column - whiich date is it?

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Date column - whiich date is it?: The column heading in Win 10 File Explorer is 'Date'. But which one? I've always been used in XP to the default being 'Date modified', but it seems that here it's Date created? Several re-saves have left 'Date' unchanged. [img] -- Terry, East Grinstead, UK 71495