Windows 10: Changing desktop wallpapers stopped working properly (tried 5 methods)

Discus and support Changing desktop wallpapers stopped working properly (tried 5 methods) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've been using a free wallpaper changer for months and it's been working just fine, but only a few days ago an error came up (I didn't keep it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Gaz1701, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Gaz1701 Win User

Changing desktop wallpapers stopped working properly (tried 5 methods)

I've been using a free wallpaper changer for months and it's been working just fine, but only a few days ago an error came up (I didn't keep it unfortunately as I didn't think it would affect Windows changing wallpapers itself!) and now changing wallpapers almost doesn't work at all - but it's acting strange.

I'll tell you what's not not working,what I've tried, then what does "work"....

• Going to customisation>background and changing the background [or choosing solid colours] doesn't do anything ("choose a fit" works fine)
    • I've tried what it says here: Cannot change desktop background in Windows 10/8/7 - but couldn't try the Group Policy Editor because I don't have it on my Win 10 Home edition.
    • Renamed 'TranscodedWallpaper.jpg' to .old, and there wasn't any text in slideshow.ini (and when there was I deleted it, but made no difference)
    • The 'Ease of Access' 'Remove Background Images (where available)' wasn't enabled
    • I've even gone into the registry ("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies" and "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies") - and created a 'NoChangingWallpapers' setting it to 0 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = Didn't seem to make any difference.
    • I'm currently going through the sfc /scannow. If I don't mention it again it means it's not found.fixed any problems.
    What DOES "work" works only intermittently, limitedly and seemingly randomly.

Running 'control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper' (and press enter) takes me to the place where the various 'picture locations' are.

• Double-clicking/right-click>set as wallpaper does nothing* (except after point 2 [below] that it changes, but to a random one, and not the one I clicked on)
    • *highlighting a few at once (as an example) and right-clicking 'set as slideshow' sort of "works", but the background picture is broken - at times it looks like this:
      i68.tinypic.com/314p5x1.jpg
      or it seems to show a random one up that I didn't choose. But there seems to be very few it changes to.

I seriously don't want to/hope I don't have to re-install Windows for this, as 1) I've got a few GiveawayoftheDay[.com]s I want to keep, and 2) especially having a game like Elder Scrolls V:Skyrim with 100s of mods, It'll completely ruin the savedgames and how it's all put together (as well as how long it takes to download all the games on Steam again!). FYI, I have Asperger's Syndrome

I'd love some help on this please.

:)

Gaz1701, Feb 17, 2017

2. i have a issue with the windows spot light, it is not working and it is not changing its wallpaper from so long so please to correct this issues so soon as possible

Sorry sir ,

actually i tried your first and second mail tutorials after every method completion i wont get any changes in the windows spotlight rather than showing the same wallpaper in the spotlight. and i have tried the third mail method it will change some settings
    of desktop and some other things which is not necessary for this particular problem. so for this reason i was saying it is not working. is there any other method please help me with that.

PrathikBhandary, Feb 17, 2017
  3. Slideshow stop working on window 10

I chose default window 10 desktop backgrounds for slideshow ,but today it stops on a single wallpaper instead of changing to all wallpapers while the setting is on slideshow. After that, I chose a single wallpaper but it automatically chose a solid color
    and did not set that wallpaper. How can I fix it?

Adnan Zaka, Feb 17, 2017
  4. Changing desktop wallpapers stopped working properly (tried 5 methods)

Run CMD as admin and copy/paste:

reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "ForceActiveDesktopOn" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "NoActiveDesktop" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "NoActiveDesktopChanges" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

The wallpaper location is this, try to put in your picture's location:

reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "Wallpaper" /t REG_SZ /d "D:\Pics\Wallpaper.jpg" /f

TairikuOkami, Feb 17, 2017
  5. Gaz1701 Win User
    What is meant to happen once I've done that? I tried the first part but nothing's changed

I'm not sure what you mean by
    What do you mean by "The wallpaper location is this"? Most of my photos is on an external HDD (F Drive); my CD ROM drive is the D Drive

Gaz1701, Feb 17, 2017
  6. You could try changing wallpaper via registry, if anything else fails, just input your picture's path.

7. Gaz1701 Win User
    How would I do that? I was hoping to have a different picture on my desktop every day, and right-click>set as desktop doesn't work

It sounds like a lot of hastle

Ps. Where do I input the "reg add "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "Wallpaper" /t REG_SZ /d "D:\Pics\Wallpaper.jpg" /f"? I tried it in Command prompt (as an admin) but says access denied

Gaz1701, Feb 17, 2017
  8. Changing desktop wallpapers stopped working properly (tried 5 methods)

Have you tried using system restore prior to the date, it stopped working?

System Restore Windows 10

9. Gaz1701 Win User
    Hmm, I haven't actually; thanks, I'll try that *Smile

Gaz1701, Feb 17, 2017
  10. Gaz1701 Win User
    Being completely typical with my computer, I'm getting an error message when trying to do a system restore; I also tried doing it in Safe Mode as well (with 2 different system restores, one from the 14th, and one from the 8th Feb [I think]). Even 'undoing' the error made this error:

Changing desktop wallpapers stopped working properly (tried 5 methods) [​IMG]

Gaz1701, Feb 17, 2017
  11. TairikuOkami, Feb 17, 2017
  12. Gaz1701 Win User
    Hmmm, OK then, thanks a lot for helping me

Gaz1701, Feb 17, 2017
  13. Gaz1701 Win User

Before I start (I don't think I'll be doing it today, but for future reference), I guess my motherboard's too old for it to have UEFI firmware that I'd have to temporarily disable? So I'll not need to worry about disabling Secure Boot?

Ps. FYI I've never actually 'properly' done ISO files or anything like this before. I guess it would take more than 1 DVD to put the ISO file on if I did it that way?

Gaz1701, Feb 17, 2017
  14. ISO should fit on DVD just fine, it is usually bellow 4GB, so there is more than enough to spare.

Since you have 10 already installed, no need to change anything, the upgrade should take care of it.

15. Gaz1701 Win User
    [hopefully] one last question: when I've done this Repair Upgrade, will I have to re-download any of the Windows updates (or anything else)? Or will they be unaffected?

Gaz1701, Feb 23, 2017
Thema:

1. Changing desktop wallpapers stopped working properly (tried 5 methods) - Similar Threads - Changing desktop wallpapers

2. Change desktop wallpaper with phone?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change desktop wallpaper with phone?: exactly what the title says (is there an app?). Surprisingly I couldn't find a single post regarding this topic. submitted by /u/Qryza [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m3f45o/change_desktop_wallpaper_with_phone/
  3. Desktop Wallpaper Not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Wallpaper Not working: I'm trying to get this image as my desktop wallpaper for a few hours now. I had it as my wallpaper for about a two days then suddenly today it's not working properly. Every time I select the image the the background turns to a solid colour. Is there anyway I could fix this?...
  4. Desktop Wallpaper keeps Changing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Wallpaper keeps Changing: I hope I am posting this in the right Forum. For some reason on my computers if I set different Wallpaper it changes to the same on all computers. Why does this happen? The only time I login to Microsoft is Microsoft Store. I thought I was not logged in on my account. Maybe...
  5. Desktop Wallpaper keeps Changing

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Wallpaper keeps Changing: I hope I am posting this in the right Forum. For some reason on my computers if I set different Wallpaper it changes to the same on all computers. Why does this happen? The only time I login to Microsoft is Microsoft Store. I thought I was not logged in on my account. Maybe...
  6. Group Policy Desktop Wallpaper has stopped working

Group Policy Desktop Wallpaper has stopped working: The Local Group Policy option entitled "Desktop Wallpaper", used to change the wallpaper of all users on a local machine has spontaneously stopped working after an update. Every new users that logs on has the default Windows wallpaper. I strive for uniformity at my company...
  7. Windows desktop wallpapers slideshow isn't working properly

Windows desktop wallpapers slideshow isn't working properly: Windows desktop wallpapers slideshow isn't working properly. I set it to change in 1 day, but it changes probably after an hour or two. Any fix? 41487
  8. Can't Change Desktop Wallpaper

Can't Change Desktop Wallpaper: I'm getting frustrated with this. No matter what I do I can't get to change the desktop wallpaper/background on windows 10. When I open a pic in ACDsee and set it as a wallpaper it doesn't change a thing. All I have is a solid color. Can someone help me with this please. TIA...
  9. Remote Desktop stopped working properly after changing GPU

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop stopped working properly after changing GPU: Hi guys. I have a strange issue that i couldnt solve by searching the web: after installing a replacement GPU, RDP now only connects to the home server when i have "use all my monitors" enabled. If i have it unticked the session will try to open on my second monitor -...
  10. Cortana and desktop wallpapers stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana and desktop wallpapers stopped working: The Cortana button shows up on the task bar, but when I click on it to access the "Run" feature (Which should have stayed in the Start Menu), nothing happens. The window doesn't open anymore. This just started happening a few weeks ago. Also, I cannot add new desktop...