Windows 10: Changing email in Microsoft account says alias already taken

Discus and support Changing email in Microsoft account says alias already taken in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am trying to change the email address in my Microsoft account in Windows 10, and when I type in the other email it says that it is already in use.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by PhilipCohen2, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Changing email in Microsoft account says alias already taken

I am trying to change the email address in my Microsoft account in Windows 10, and when I type in the other email it says that it is already in use. Well, it's my email address and I don't have a Microsoft account with that email....

Don't know what to do..... I tried to see if at some time I had put that email address in outlook, but I don't use outlook and not sure how to see if that is why it won't take this other email address as my new alias.

Would appreciate some help.

:)

PhilipCohen2, Nov 24, 2019

2. Unable to change primary alias - Microsoft Account

Hi John,

As per the description, you are experiencing issue with you are unable to change the primary alias for your Microsoft account on the system.

I certainly understand your concern and appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix this issue.

I would like to provide you with the information that
    an account alias is an email address or phone number that you use to sign in to your Microsoft account. You can have multiple aliases, and use any of them with Microsoft services such as Outlook.com, Skype, OneDrive,
    Office, Xbox, Windows and more.

Your primary alias appears on devices such as your Xbox, Surface, and Windows Phone, and is the email OneDrive sends from when you share. You can choose a different alias to be the primary one at any time.

An alias is also the best way to change your email, but keep all your mail.
    Add an alias, then make the new alias primary. Then you can
    keep or remove the original alias.

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

Note: The email alias at the top of the list without a Make primary link is your current primary alias.

• Uncheck the Send me promotional offers from Microsoft box if you like, and click/tap on Yes to confirm.
    You may also try the following steps given below and check if that helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>Account>Your Account.
    • In the right pane, click on Sign in with a local account instead.
    • Provide your current Microsoft Account Password.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.
    • You can leave the Enter Password option empty, however, it is highly recommended to keep a password on your system to keep it safe.

For reference:

I would suggest you to refer to the article given below and check if that helps.

Microsoft account help

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/microsoft-account

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, Nov 24, 2019
  3. KayL_265 Win User
    Using existing Microsoft account as alias on another Microsoft account

I was researching merging microsoft accounts and the results i found keep saying to setup an account alias but whenever I try to this I keep getting the error message This email address is already taken.
    Please try another.

Any suggestions on this? My office365 subscription is linked to one account but that email is no longer valid so i need to use my other email

KayL_265, Nov 24, 2019
  4. Joe Engel Win User

Changing email in Microsoft account says alias already taken

Microsoft Account alias change

Trying to change the primary alias on my Microsoft account. As per instructions I go to "Add an alias". I choose "Add an existing email..." I insert my newly purchased domain and O365 account email *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. I am rejected with the message "You can't
    add a work or school email address as an alias to a personal Microsoft account. Please try another." This is not a school or work alias. It is my my new personal home domain now.

Joe Engel, Nov 24, 2019
Thema:

Changing email in Microsoft account says alias already taken

1. Changing email in Microsoft account says alias already taken - Similar Threads - Changing email Microsoft

2. How to change primary alias for Microsoft account when it's saying "already in use"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change primary alias for Microsoft account when it's saying "already in use": How to change primary alias for Microsoft account when the email that I am wanting to change it to, is saying that it "is already in use". Of course it is in use, it's my email address. Unsure how to change the primary alias when I get this error message as I have changed...
  3. How to change primary alias for Microsoft account when it's saying "already in use"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change primary alias for Microsoft account when it's saying "already in use": How to change primary alias for Microsoft account when the email that I am wanting to change it to, is saying that it "is already in use". Of course it is in use, it's my email address. Unsure how to change the primary alias when I get this error message as I have changed...
  4. Can't change my "alias" back up email - says this email address is already taken but it is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't change my "alias" back up email - says this email address is already taken but it is...: Hi ThereI just went to change my back up "alias" email in my account settings as I noticed it only lists an old email address which is now defunct.When I entered the email address I use other than my microsoft hotmail email address, I receive a notification saying this email...
  5. Can't change my "alias" back up email - says this email address is already taken but it is...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't change my "alias" back up email - says this email address is already taken but it is...: Hi ThereI just went to change my back up "alias" email in my account settings as I noticed it only lists an old email address which is now defunct.When I entered the email address I use other than my microsoft hotmail email address, I receive a notification saying this email...
  6. Can't change my "alias" back up email - says this email address is already taken but it is...

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Email Alias address already in use

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Email Alias address already in use: My windows account shows my old email address which I would like to change. Seems like I have 2 accounts Passport & Email. How can I update my email address to show only one? Thank you...
  8. Microsoft account alias "Email already taken."

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Microsoft account alias "Email already taken.": I was trying to add an existing email not outlook to make it easier for me to login. But when I entered that email to create another alias it said "Email already taken. Please try another one." Is there any way to fix this?...
  9. Microsoft account email alias problem

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft account email alias problem: My default alias used to be my default email address. Now I changed the alias not knowing that I would not be able to revert back to my @HOTmail.com alias.... so now unless I send a email to the alias all mail becomes undelivered. How can I switch the alias back to my...
  10. Email address is already taken

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Email address is already taken: Trying to change the email address associated with my Microsoft account but it already has it's own Microsoft account. How do I delete that Microsoft account so I can use its email on my current one...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. this email address is already taken. please try another add alias emailmicrosoft account

2. alias email address already taken

3. add an alias this email is already taken

4. This email address is already taken. Please try another.,
  5. when I try to add an alias email address it says address already taken,
  6. xbox alias taken,
  7. This email address is already taken. Please try another one.,
  8. microsoft adding an alias email already taken?,
  9. it says alias already taken,
  10. microsoft account email already taken,
  11. what if my account alias has already been taken,
  12. email says it is already taken windows 10,
  13. add alias to microsoft account already taken error,