Windows 10: Changing process priority or limiting maximum CPU

Discus and support Changing process priority or limiting maximum CPU in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Is there any way to change task priority in W10, as it was in previous versions (Task Manager|Set Priority)? Dropbox likes to spend the first 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Overzeetop, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Changing process priority or limiting maximum CPU

Is there any way to change task priority in W10, as it was in previous versions (Task Manager|Set Priority)?

Dropbox likes to spend the first 10 minutes after waking up my computer taking 60-90% of processor cycles, and I've also noticed other processes which seem to pop up and monopolize my system resources. I'm running an older Acer with a fairly slow Core 2 / 1.4GHz processor and it's just choking on the load. Under W7, it was very usable but in W10 it seems like even getting keystrokes/mouse clicks to register sometimes is like watching the old Cable TV guide channel.

Thanks!

:)

Overzeetop, Aug 6, 2015

2. Moden Setup Host using 50% CPU on Windows 10

What I can suggest you is to change the priority of the process in the task manager so as not to impact CPU availability.

It is also possible to reduce the priority of disk access but I do not know where exactly in Windows 10 ....

Julien Sybille, Aug 6, 2015
  3. Jackson83 Win User
    task manager access is denied

i'm having an issue where i cant set process affinity or process priority. im trying to limit my antivirus avast to one core and so it will stop using 40% of my cpu. it's 1.5Ghz AMD a4-apu and im trying to run elsword. i would turn off avast but task manager
    wont turn it off fully it still uses a good chunk of the cpu. I am on windows 10 right now. It wont let me stop the process it said access is denied and im the admin on this pc

Jackson83, Aug 6, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

Changing process priority or limiting maximum CPU

Hi Overzeetop, welcome to the Ten Forums.

The priority can be set from Details tab:

Changing process priority or limiting maximum CPU [​IMG]

Kari, Aug 6, 2015
  5. Is there a way to fix an apps priority permanently, so you only have to do it once.

Jerry Delacruz, Feb 10, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Feb 10, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, two other things that might be of interest:
    Process Tamer
    Windows 10 Forums
    appears to still work in Win 10 but not updated for a long time
    - focussed on process priority
    - can be configured to act on individual processes or any that use more than x% CPU for example

and the (unique?) Battle Encoder Shirase (utterly unique name):
    BES, Battle Encoder Shirase 1.6.2 (stable) 1.7.0-alpha: Controls Per-Process CPU Usage
    - also works in Win 10. Again, relatively ancient.
    - throttles CPU use on captured process

dalchina, Feb 11, 2016
  8. Raygon Win User

What if you don't know how many cores the program should have, all I know is I want my game set to High priority every time it runs but I don't want to have to go into the task manager every time I start the game to set it.

Raygon, Jun 29, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jun 29, 2016
  10. Raygon Win User
    Cool beans! I will try that, thanks Brink!

Raygon, Jun 29, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Jun 29, 2016
  12. Raygon Win User
    Hey Brink, I just realized I can't use this because Archeage uses a Launcher, so I have to use the Glyph launcher (in case there are updates to the program) which then launches Archeage.exe which is the program.

Raygon, Jun 30, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Sorry to hear that. Games can be tricky because of that. *Sad

Brink, Jun 30, 2016
  14. anotherca Win User
    Changing process priority or limiting maximum CPU [​IMG]

The default was 50 DECIMAL

For Windows 10 Defender

anotherca, Aug 3, 2016
  15. DJQuad Win User
    DJQuad, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Changing process priority or limiting maximum CPU - Similar Threads - Changing process priority

2. Change Process Priority for running processes using Command line

in Windows 10 News
    Change Process Priority for running processes using Command line: [ATTACH]When you run applications in your Windows system, they all share your processor resources […] This article Change Process Priority for running processes using Command line first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  3. Change process' priority automatically

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change process' priority automatically: Hello everyone, To begin with, I have an issue with a cod game. It starts with his priority to High and I every time I have to change the priority manually. The other apps are too laggy while I have the game open, and if change the priority to normal, they will be fixed. Is...
  4. Limit Maximum Volume on external speakers

Limit Maximum Volume on external speakers: Is there any way I can limit the maximum volume on an external speaker. My dad likes turning the music super loud and I'm trying to figure out if I can somehow limit the maximum volume without him being able to turn it back up easily. A simple solution would be use headphones...
  5. How to limit CPU maximum speed in new Windows 10 version?

How to limit CPU maximum speed in new Windows 10 version?: Hi all, I need to limit CPU maximum speed in my new laptop due to a couple of specific problems that seems to be recurring with the brand and will go away if CPU maximum speed is limited to bellow 100% (following other online forums). I recently did this with another laptop...
  6. How to limit or set Maximum CPU Usage for Windows Defender Scan

in Windows 10 News
    How to limit or set Maximum CPU Usage for Windows Defender Scan: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows Defender Antivirus has a maximum 50% CPU usage for a scan by default in Windows 10. But, you can specify a percentage of CPU usage you want Windows Defender Antivirus to not exceed. In this post, we will show [...] This post How to limit or set...
  7. CPU limiting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU limiting: Hi. I have a laptop with an Intel Core i5 4200M that runs at 2.5 GHz. The LCD broke a few days ago and so I'm using an external monitor and the laptop is basically a desktop for now. Since it stays in the same place, instead of charging and discharging the battery the...
  8. Cant change Maximum CPU Power in Acer laptop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cant change Maximum CPU Power in Acer laptop: I cant change Maximum CPU Power from advanced power settings. There is no option for changing cpu settings. [img] My laptop is Acer Swift 3 SF315-52G NX.GZAEY.002. 127361
  9. The frequency and maximum load of the processor is limited

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The frequency and maximum load of the processor is limited: Windows 10 Pro 1803. The frequency and maximum load of the processor is limited, although the "High performance" power plan is included and there are no limits. Sometimes when I change power plan and reboot PC, the limiter is remove, but not for long time.[ATTACH]...
  10. Set CPU Process Priority for Applications in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set CPU Process Priority for Applications in Windows 10: How to: Set CPU Process Priority for Applications in Windows 10 How to Set CPU Process Priority for Applications in Windows 10 Windows shares processor resources between all running processes based upon their priority level. If a process (application) has a higher...