Windows 10: check disc starting to appear at bootup startup ?

Discus and support check disc starting to appear at bootup startup ? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'm running a Crucial SSD. The last couple of days I have noticed on start up that check disc runs checking my system drive. I have tried running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by smalltown, Dec 9, 2017.

1. smalltown Win User

check disc starting to appear at bootup startup ?

I'm running a Crucial SSD. The last couple of days I have noticed on start up that check disc runs checking my system drive.
    I have tried running check disc manually, but nothing found. I also have the Crucial Storage Executive software that tells me everything is fine.

I guess to be safe I should start copying files that I want just in case.

I don't suppose that others are having a similar issue?

P.S. now that I think about it I have noticed that my system is starting to experience waking up from sleep.

:)

smalltown, Dec 9, 2017

2. I need to boot twice to get windows 10 going

Lizette, yes the check box is grayed out, but look up a ways and you will see blue writing, meaning it is live, click on that and the grayed boxes will come to life, and you can uncheck fast bootup. I just did that and it fixed the bootup problem, having to
    try to boot twice to get started. now it works just fine... --tom w.

TomWinfield, Dec 9, 2017
  3. Yassie01 Win User
    Critical startup error message

Hi,

So the message we get is ' Critical error - your startup menu isn't working. We'll try to fix this next time you sign in'.

The safe mode workaround did not stop the message from appearing at next bootup.

The message stopped for a couple of log-ins after that, and now it has started appearing again, but as I said before, this is happening to only 1 of 3 sign-in profiles (at the moment)

Yassie01, Dec 9, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Hey smalltown,
    Could be the dirty bit has gotten set. You can check it by doing the following ...

Open Command Prompt as Admin
    chkntfs c: (check dirty bit)
    chkntfs /x c: (clear dirty bit)

Reboot PC and hopefully check disk won't run.

Note: "c:" assumes that it c: is is your SSD ... Change if necessary.

Disable or Stop Auto CHKDSK During Windows Startup • Raymond.CC

Eagle51, Dec 10, 2017
  5. smalltown Win User
    Eagle51 I thought for a moment it was the "go find me a left handed screwdriver" game.
    But I checked online, and you weren't pulling my leg.

I tried it and C: is not dirty.

CHKDSK does not run every time.

Thanks never heard of that command before.

smalltown, Dec 10, 2017
  6. Word Man Win User
    @Eagle51 -

I may be a little dense but it's not clear to me (how that article is worded) whether "chkntfs /x c:" is simply clearing the dirty bit or if it's permanently disabling the autocheck. I'm not sure of its advisability if it's the latter... Any further take on this?

Perhaps that is only a one time exclusion?

There's a TF tutorial on this kind of thing at Cancel a Scheduled Chkdsk at Boot in Windows 10

I wonder if "chkntfs /d" (option 4 in the tutorial) is in order to set all back to default?

Word Man, Dec 10, 2017
  7. Eagle51 Win User
    smalltown .... Sorry, I made the wrong assumption, that chkdsk was running on every startup and the dirty bit being set as one possible cause.

No, it excludes a drive from being checked on startup.
    Yes, you should set it back to default.

Note: There a couple page in that link I posted. I knew there had to be tutorial here, but I missed when I searched *Sad

Eagle51, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. check disc starting to appear at bootup startup ? - Similar Threads - check disc starting

2. “To skip disc checking” pops up ok every startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    “To skip disc checking” pops up ok every startup: I’m using windows 10, my computer was fine up until a few days ago when the prompt started appearing on every startup. I tried both chkdsk C: /f /r And chkdsk /x C: and neither managed to solve the issue. What could be causing this issue, how can I fix it, and does my ssd run...
  3. “To skip disc checking” pops up ok every startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    “To skip disc checking” pops up ok every startup: I’m using windows 10, my computer was fine up until a few days ago when the prompt started appearing on every startup. I tried both chkdsk C: /f /r And chkdsk /x C: and neither managed to solve the issue. What could be causing this issue, how can I fix it, and does my ssd run...
  4. “To skip disc checking” pops up ok every startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Disk Check appearing every time on start up.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Check appearing every time on start up.: Hey so I have an Asus Vivobook and for some reason everytime I turn on my laptop, the logo appears, but then underneath this it comes up with 'to skip disk check, press any key within the next 10 seconds.' I'm not sure why it appears everytime I start up my laptop, I've let...
  6. Disk Check appearing every time on start up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Check appearing every time on start up.: Hey so I have an Asus Vivobook and for some reason everytime I turn on my laptop, the logo appears, but then underneath this it comes up with 'to skip disk check, press any key within the next 10 seconds.' I'm not sure why it appears everytime I start up my laptop, I've let...
  7. Disk Check appearing every time on start up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Option to choose OS is not appearing during bootup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Option to choose OS is not appearing during bootup: Hi. I had set up Ubuntu 20.04 on my existing Windows 10. Until a couple of weeks ago, I would get an option to choose the OS during startup, but now my laptop directly boots up Windows 10 without providing me a choice. What should I do to bring that option back? submitted...
  9. Disk Checking on Startup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Checking on Startup: Hello. I own an Acer Swift 3 which I have the fear of it breaking. When I start up my computer, I see the message "Press any key to skip disk checking in # seconds." I always skip it, but then, I always have this question that comes up. The question that I have is "What...
  10. MSN Homepage appears at bootup

in Browsers and Email
    MSN Homepage appears at bootup: Hi, For several days now I have had the MSN homepage pop up every time I boot up. It appears to be initiated by a call to open the page http://www.msftconnecttest.com/redirect . MSN is not my home page and I don't want to see it. How can I stop it opening? I haven't had any...