Windows 10: Cancel a Scheduled Chkdsk at Boot in Windows 10

Discus and support Cancel a Scheduled Chkdsk at Boot in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Cancel a Scheduled Chkdsk at Boot in Windows 10 How to Cancel a Scheduled Chkdsk at Boot in Windows 10 [img] Information Checking your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Cancel a Scheduled Chkdsk at Boot in Windows 10

How to: Cancel a Scheduled Chkdsk at Boot in Windows 10

How to Cancel a Scheduled Chkdsk at Boot in Windows 10

Cancel a Scheduled Chkdsk at Boot in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Checking your drives for errors every once in a while can help fix some performance issues. Drive errors can usually be caused by bad sectors, improper shutdowns, bad software, corruption, physical damage, etc...

If you schedule a drive (ex: "chkdsk /F" for Windows drive) to be checked with Chkdsk, the drive will be checked at boot the next time you restart the computer.

This tutorial will show you different ways on how to exclude a drive or cancel a scheduled Chkdsk from running at boot for a drive in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to exclude a drive or cancel a scheduled Chkdsk at boot.

Note If a drive is always getting checked at boot despite canceling it, then the drive may be going bad leaving you at risk of losing all data on the drive. It is recommended to back up the data on the drive to separate disk to be safe, then check the health of the drive with a diagnostic tool (ex: SeaTools) from the drive's manufacturer.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To See if a Drive has been Scheduled to be Checked at Next Reboot
    • Option Two: To Skip Disk Checking at Boot
    • Option Three: To Exclude a Drive from Default Boot-Time Check
    • Option Four: To Cancel Scheduled Disk Check at Boot and Restore Default Behavior in Command Prompt
    • Option Five: To Cancel Scheduled Disk Check at Boot and Restore Default Behavior in Registry Editor

EXAMPLE: Schedule Windows drive to be checked at boot

OPTION ONE [/i] To See if a Drive has been Scheduled to be Checked at Next Reboot
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Type the command below in the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)

*Arrow chkntfs <drive letter>:

Note Substitute <drive letter> with the actual drive letter of the drive you want to see has been scheduled to run Chkdsk for on next reboot.

For example: chkntfs C:

OPTION TWO [/i] To Skip Disk Checking at Boot

Note If you schedule (ex: "chkdsk /F") a drive to be checked with Chkdsk at boot, you will have restart the computer.

1. Press any key at boot when you see the To skip disk checking, press any key within 8 second(s) message. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Exclude a Drive from Default Boot-Time Check

Note This option will exclude a specified drive from the default boot-time check.

When you exclude a drive, any previously excluded drive will no longer be excluded.

2. Type the command below in the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)

*Arrow chkntfs /x <drive letter>:

Note Substitute <drive letter> with the actual drive letter of the drive you want to exclude.

For example: chkntfs /x C:

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Cancel Scheduled Disk Check at Boot and Restore Default Behavior in Command Prompt

Note This option restores the machine to the default behavior; all drives are checked at boot time and chkdsk is run on those that are dirty.

This is done by canceling any scheduled disk check at boot, and any excluded drive will no longer be excluded.

This does the same thing as Option Five below.

*Arrow chkntfs /d

OPTION FIVE [/i] To Cancel Scheduled Disk Check at Boot and Restore Default Behavior in Registry Editor

Note This option restores the machine to the default behavior; all drives are checked at boot time and chkdsk is run on those that are dirty.

This is done by canceling any scheduled disk check at boot, and any excluded drive will no longer be excluded.

This does the same thing as Option Four above.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit, and click/tap on OK to open Registry Editor.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. In the left pane of Registry Editor, browse to the key location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

4. In the right pane of the Session Manager key, double click/tap on the BootExecute MULTI-SZ value to modify it. (see screenshot above)

5. Copy and paste the value data below in the Edit Multi-String dialog, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow autocheck autochk *

6. When finished, you can close Registry Editor if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Aug 7, 2017
  2. Eagle51 Win User
    Eagle51, Oct 26, 2019
  3. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Chkdsk issue

I see that Tony (@HippsieGypsie) has already provided the perfect answer to your second and third question. Cancel a Scheduled Chkdsk at Boot in Windows 10 :)

To skip or cancel chkdsk on boot, you may press any key on the keyboard within 10 seconds for that time being. You have to do it for all the volumes/partitions of the HDD.

If the disk is anyhow failing, it will ask for chkdsk again on the next boot. Be sure about it, test the HDD for any possible error. Seatools will be a good option to do it. SeaTools for DOS and Windows - How to Use - Windows 7 Help Forums

If the disk is not failing, and still it prompts of chkdsk on every boot, disable Fast Startup. Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

See how it goes. Let us know.

4. Cancel a Scheduled Chkdsk at Boot in Windows 10

Windows 10 HD usage after boot

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Firstly, I suggest you to install all the available Windows Updates and restart the computer and check.

Method 1

Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...) Except mouse and the keyboard and then boot up.

If this corrects the issue then add the devices back one at a time until you discover the piece of hardware causing the issue. Then install the updated driver software for that device.

Method 2: Clean Boot

I suggest you to place the computer in Clean boot.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start
    as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Method 3: Run
    Check Disk

I suggest you to run Check Disk which performs an analysis of the disk. Refer to the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click on Command prompt (Admin).
    • Type chkdsk /f and hit enter.
    NOTE: The root drive has to be C: and the command may schedule a task at the system startup, if it does, then press
    Y to schedule a task and restart the computer to perform chkdsk.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Canceling Windows 10 Reservation

I am addressing my issue which no one has offered a fix to in this situation. I reserved my copy of windows 10, authorized it to download thinking I could reschedule it to upgrade for later, and found
    out the latest you can schedule the upgrade is two days away. I was thinking maybe 6 months or 9 months. Everyone says delete the KB3035583 update. This step does not work when you have
    already scheduled your upgrade. It merely gets rid of the get windows 10 ap. The other suggestion was to click and cancel your reservation. With the hamburger menu, or the three little lines, find view your reservation and cancel it. But if you have scheduled
    your installation, neither of these two steps will work. After talking to two Microsoft techs, one of them suggested system recovery to an earlier day before the Windows 10 download. He said there was a 50 percent chance that this would work. It worked for
    me. I have never seen the solution to my problem posted, so here it is. Hope it helps someone who is in the position I was in.

Winnie1256, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Canceling Windows 10 Reservation

I am addressing my issue which no one has offered a fix to in this situation. I reserved my copy of windows 10, authorized it to download thinking I could reschedule it to upgrade for later, and found
    out the latest you can schedule the upgrade is two days away. I was thinking maybe 6 months or 9 months. Everyone says delete the KB3035583 update. This step does not work when you have
    already scheduled your upgrade. It merely gets rid of the get windows 10 ap. The other suggestion was to click and cancel your reservation. With the hamburger menu, or the three little lines, find view your reservation and cancel it. But if you have scheduled
    your installation, neither of these two steps will work. After talking to two Microsoft techs, one of them suggested system recovery to an earlier day before the Windows 10 download. He said there was a 50 percent chance that this would work. It worked for
    me. I have never seen the solution to my problem posted, so here it is. Hope it helps someone who is in the position I was in.

Winnie1256, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Cancel a Scheduled Chkdsk at Boot in Windows 10

1. Cancel a Scheduled Chkdsk at Boot in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Cancel Scheduled Chkdsk

2. How to schedule a free exam that had to be cancelled.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to schedule a free exam that had to be cancelled.: Hi there, I was awarded one free exam as part of the MS Challenge I took last year.I chose Azure Fundamentals Exam no: AZ-900 but for various reasons, I had to cancel it and couldn't reschedule it during the timeframe I cancelled since there was a message that didn't allow me...
  3. How to schedule a free exam that had to be cancelled.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to schedule a free exam that had to be cancelled.: Hi there, I was awarded one free exam as part of the MS Challenge I took last year.I chose Azure Fundamentals Exam no: AZ-900 but for various reasons, I had to cancel it and couldn't reschedule it during the timeframe I cancelled since there was a message that didn't allow me...
  4. Is it safe to cancel chkdsk at stage 5 42%?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to cancel chkdsk at stage 5 42%?: Is it safe to cancel at this stage? Fixing c: 37% 85 million of 225 million; Total: 42%; ETA 1:35:24. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-safe-to-cancel-chkdsk-at-stage-5-42/e3e15cdd-058d-4e71-a65f-8e7fdeed5cd7
  5. Is it safe to cancel chkdsk at stage 5 42%?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it safe to cancel chkdsk at stage 5 42%?: Is it safe to cancel at this stage? Fixing c: 37% 85 million of 225 million; Total: 42%; ETA 1:35:24. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-safe-to-cancel-chkdsk-at-stage-5-42/e3e15cdd-058d-4e71-a65f-8e7fdeed5cd7
  6. CHKDSK hangs at boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CHKDSK hangs at boot: Hi Thank you everyone in advance. Please excuse the long post. Just want to give the full picture...My setup. Windows 10 Home. Intel i7, 16Gb memory, Samsung SSD 4Tb. Setup as GPT with two partitions partitions 300Gb with Windows 10 and software install and some data; the...
  7. Windows 10 won't boot + chkdsk error

Windows 10 won't boot + chkdsk error: Good morning, I have one large issue. I have been doing some work in chrome and my laptop lenovo ideapad 330 has frozen, so I turned it off and back on again never had issues with that. After lenovo logo has popped up, windows was refusing to boot. So I tried built in...
  8. How to Cancel Chkdsk at Boot for all drives Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to Cancel Chkdsk at Boot for all drives Windows 10: Hi folks, you know the drill, you hard boot a handful of times to sort something out and BAM windows goes UH OH TIME TO RUN CHKDSK. Is there any way of stopping it from doing this on all drives? Windows 10 Pro, 6 hard drives. So the registry fix for one drive won't work...
  9. Preventing chkdsk at boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Preventing chkdsk at boot: generic PC of high (Gamer) performance dual-booted with win 7 and win10 Some time ago unfortunate finger-trouble corrupted my win 7 installation since when it has apparently recovered (!) One consequence is a repeated request at boot (including win 10 boot) to run chkdsk for...
  10. Chkdsk stuck at 11% and can't cancel

Chkdsk stuck at 11% and can't cancel: Recently updated from 1803 to 1809 and it worked when I woke up. After restart it was stuck at loading dots. When I went to safe mode it said couldn't complete changes undoing but my windows version was still 1809 and my PC worked fine when I disabled driver siganture...