Windows 10: "check for updates" is a dead link

Discus and support "check for updates" is a dead link in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; when I click on search and type "check for updates", or "windows updates settings", I can't open the result. I click, and nothing happens. But if I go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by shmu26, Jan 30, 2016.

1. shmu26 Win User

"check for updates" is a dead link

when I click on search and type "check for updates", or "windows updates settings", I can't open the result. I click, and nothing happens.
    But if I go to "settings", and then to "update and security", it opens just fine.
    What is the matter with "check for updates", and "windows updates settings"?

:)

shmu26, Jan 30, 2016

2. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Jan 30, 2016
  3. vilu85 Win User
    " Waiting for approval " until when !????

It means that it's waiting for approval from your operator and it has nothing to do with Nokia.

You could call your operator and ask about this approval, someone in technical service may know that how long it takes to approve the newest firmware. (For some reason, every operator has to approve the firmware updates and only after that their clients
    can do the update)

vilu85, Jan 30, 2016
  4. "check for updates" is a dead link

I have just tried it via ask me anything
    Think you have to type in as I did
    Check for Windows 10 updates
    It will then work
    But I always use
    Settings
    Update and Security

hTconeM9user, Jan 30, 2016
  5. caperjack Win User
    when I type I n, check for updated I get the system settings.. in both browsers ,IE and Edge

caperjack, Jan 30, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 30, 2016
  7. How I did was nearly like yours Brink
    But clicked on Settings
    Then Update and Security
    Then Right Click Windows Update
    Asked me was I sure I wanted a short cut
    Clicked YES
    Resized it
    Then Pined it to Start

hTconeM9user, Jan 30, 2016
  8. caperjack Win User

seems to there must be an issue with there search if it don't show system setting the way mine does, or am I missing what the OP is asking

caperjack, Jan 30, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    How about in the search box, just simply type windows update > press Enter.
    Will Windows Update open up ?

davidhk, Jan 30, 2016
  10. snoopy51 Win User
    Shmu26, what version of Windows 10 you are running, 10240 or 10586.nn?
    You can check that by right click on the Start Menu, then select Run and type in winver.

I am running Windows 10 10586.71 the search returns result in Setting and when I click on the Setting selection, it opens fine!
    Have you add any 'System Utility Program' to your environment?

snoopy51, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. "check for updates" is a dead link - Similar Threads - check updates dead

2. How to check if my gpu is dead in laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to check if my gpu is dead in laptop?: I have acer predator helios 300 php315-52 laptop.Whenever I try to play game or do some gpu extensive task I got blue screen saying critical process died, failed to create dump file. And there is nothing in log file too it just say unexpected window shut down. I tried to play...
  3. How to check if my gpu is dead in laptop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to check if my gpu is dead in laptop?: I have acer predator helios 300 php315-52 laptop.Whenever I try to play game or do some gpu extensive task I got blue screen saying critical process died, failed to create dump file. And there is nothing in log file too it just say unexpected window shut down. I tried to play...
  4. Dead Links Under Desktop in File Explorer but not on Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dead Links Under Desktop in File Explorer but not on Desktop: Windows 10.0.19041 Build 19041I have a bunch of dead links on File Explorer. These links don't show up on the desktop, and also don't show up in "C:\Users\<user>\Desktop"How do I remove them? Nothing in the context/right-click menu appears to help. I added these links a long...
  5. Removed apps link is dead

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Removed apps link is dead: I’ve just reset my pc, the removed app link appeared on my desktop and I opened it and the list was there. Great. About 15 minutes later I open the link again and it’s “File not found”. I didn’t delete anything, no idea why the link is now dead. Any ideas? submitted by...
  6. Link to Windows is DEAD. Help.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Link to Windows is DEAD. Help.: PC: Lenovo 330s on Windows 10 20H2 Phone: Galaxy S10+ It started with the phone not being able to sync. I literally tried everything. restarting both devices, making sure date/time was right, disabling metered connection on both devices, allowing notification access,...
  7. Cannot remove a dead link from My PC

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot remove a dead link from My PC: I no longer have system folders, ever since Microsoft removed the "system" designation from their default folders. But there remained a dead Pictures folder link (also marked as a system folder) attached on the branch between "My PC" and "C:\Drive". When clicked, it tells me...
  8. Dead link to Windows 10 Pro purchase

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dead link to Windows 10 Pro purchase: I have purchased an upgrade from Home to Pro, I now cannot activate the new version. On the store when I select the purchase in my account I get directed to: We are sorry, the requested page cannot be found. When trying to activate I get the error code: 0X803F7001 Any...
  9. Looking for: Dead Shortcut/Link (.LNK) Finder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Looking for: Dead Shortcut/Link (.LNK) Finder: Does anyone know of an app/script to: 1. scan whole folder/drive 2. find all files ending in .lnk (i.e. shortcuts) 3. if the thing that it's pointing to does not exist -> alert me / flag it / delete it / etc I'll continue searching online, but I must not be using the...
  10. Dead links on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Dead links on desktop: I have two sets of links on my desktop. One set acts exactly as they should, the other set is a mystery. They appeared spontaneously. I'd blame an upgrade, but I'm not sure. The other set, the dead links, cannot be dragged. Clicking on them does nothing. Resizing the desktop...