Windows 10: Create Windows Update Shortcut in Windows 10

Discus and support Create Windows Update Shortcut in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Create Windows Update Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Windows Update Shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows Update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by pricetech, Apr 13, 2015.

1. pricetech Win User

Create Windows Update Shortcut in Windows 10

How to: Create Windows Update Shortcut in Windows 10

How to Create a Windows Update Shortcut in Windows 10

Create Windows Update Shortcut in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Windows Update helps keep your PC safer and your software current by automatically downloading and installing important and critical updates for Windows from Microsoft via the Internet.

This tutorial will show you how to create or download a Windows Update shortcut that opens directly to Windows Update in Settings in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:

EXAMPLE: Windows Update in Settings

OPTION ONE [/i] To Download a Windows Update Shortcut
    1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .zip file below.
    Windows_Update_shortcut.zip

Download
    2. Save the .zip file to your desktop.

3. Unblock the .zip file..

4. Open the .zip file, and extract (drag and drop) the shortcut to your desktop.

5. If you like, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.

6. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .zip file if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Manually Create a Windows Update Shortcut
    1. Right click or press and hold on an empty area on your desktop, and click/tap on New and Shortcut.

2. Copy and paste the location below into the location area, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow explorer ms-settings:windowsupdate

3. Type Windows Update for the name, and click/tap on the Finish button. (see screenshot below)
    NOTE: You could name this shortcut anything you would like though.

4. Right click or press and hold on the new Windows Update shortcut, and click/tap on Properties.

5. Click/tap on the Shortcut tab, then click/tap on the Change Icon button. (see screenshot below)

6. In the line under "Look for icons in this file", copy and paste the location below, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow %SystemRoot%\System32\shell32.dll

7. Select the icon highlighted in blue above, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot above)
    NOTE: You could use any icon that you would like instead though.

8. Click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 5)

9. If you like, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to, or move this shortcut to where you like for easy use.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

pricetech, Apr 13, 2015

2. windows 10 shortcuts in shared folder

why does it make a difference if a shortcut is created on the windows 7 and placed in the sharefolder on the windows 10 rather than created by the windows 10 computer?

In other words, I have created and shared a folder on the windows 10 computer, then placed shortcuts in the folder to files that are on the windows 10 machine. Another computer on the network running windows 7 should be able to access this folder and the
    files that the shortcuts point to. It can not. However, it can access the drive from selecting the computer and drive from the network, and then if the shortcuts are created with the window 7 machine and placed in the sharedfolder which is on the windows 10
    machine then clicking on the shortcuts from the windows 7 machine will open the file. This is confusing. Why won't the shortcuts created on the windows 10 machine work with the windows 7 machine?

Boyd Anderson, Apr 13, 2015
  3. Is my OS a Windows 10 AE or Windows 10 First Edition?

I think the answer is no. But look through...

Right Click Windows 10 Start Menu > Control Panel ? - Windows 10 Forums

Windows 10: Right Click Windows 10 Start Menu > Control Panel ?

If you find a way to do it, it may be unwise to do so - as Windows no longer expects it to be there.

What I did was to create a shortcut to the Control Panel onto the Desktop, then assigned a keyboard shortcut to it...

Create Control Panel Shortcut in Windows 10

Windows 10: Create Control Panel Shortcut in Windows 10

Assign Keyboard Shortcut to Shortcuts in Windows 10

Windows 10: Assign Keyboard Shortcut to Shortcuts in Windows 10

PCR Just PCR, Apr 13, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome pricetech. *Smile

Brink, Apr 13, 2015
  5. Hey Brink, I think this might need to be updated. In the latest 10122 build I can't find the "wucltux.dll" file for updating the icon.

I had to manually find and choose the Windows Update icon in the list of icons which worked. It also seems no matter what icon you choose the file it points to is %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll.

bobsagetfullhou, May 21, 2015
  6. George Win User
    Ditto - nice little shortcut!

George, May 21, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    @bobsagetfullhou

Thank you for letting me know. It looks like Microsoft has finished stripping the Windows Update Control Panel in build 10122.

The tutorial has been updated. *Smile

Brink, May 21, 2015
  8. Create Windows Update Shortcut in Windows 10

Now why didn't I think of that *Wink
    I pin WU from Settings and never liked the default icon (can't resize it, same as settings - a gear).

Now, I'l try changing the icon on the shortcut in All users start menu. There's always an issue with playing with shortcuts there - sometimes you have to update the universal side - the easiest way is to make the change, then copy the original shCut and remove the original. There's a fancy PS way to alter the date, but then I have to look up the cmd. I know how to copy *Wink

Slartybart, May 21, 2015
  9. Slartybart, May 24, 2015
  10. Cliff S New Member
    Another way to do it is go to SysWOW64:

Attachment 19865

Cliff S, May 24, 2015
  11. kizo2703 Win User
    Ok, but I want link on Computer (or This PC) right click. Now, since there is no more ''wuapp.exe'' in System32, it won't work and if I replace it whit this link in Registry, it gives me ''Windows cannot access ...'' error.

How to make it work?

kizo2703, Jul 1, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Kizo,

You should be able to create the shortcut in this tutorial, save it to where you like, and run the shortcut in the context menu instead. *Smile

Brink, Jul 2, 2015
  13. Create Windows Update Shortcut in Windows 10

Thanks ! Works GREAT !

retird2golf, Jul 2, 2015
  14. elbmek Win User
    Looks like Brink is going to be doing some overtime in the next few - erm, years!! *Devil

elbmek, Jul 3, 2015
  15. kizo2703 Win User
    I don't want to make tutorial, i'm just asking is there a way to make context menu shortcut.

Because, where ever i place it, and then create shortcut in context menu,

it gives me the same error.

Creating batch script is also useless.

Same thing happens whit any ''Modern'' program shortcut.
    Where have You found icon?

kizo2703, Jul 3, 2015
Thema:

1. Create Windows Update Shortcut in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Create Update Shortcut

2. CREATING SHORTCUTS IN WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    CREATING SHORTCUTS IN WINDOWS 10: WITH WINDOWS 8 AND PRIOR VERSIONS I HAVE ALWAYS ENJOYED CREATING A DESKTOP SHORT CUT FOR EASY ACCESS. I AM SEEKING ADVICE ON HOW TO CREATE THESE IN WINDOWS 10. I AM ABLE TO DO THIS WITH SOME WEBSITES BUT NOT ALL. QUITE OFTEN I END UP WITH THE CHOICE OF SAVING AS A...
  3. create shortcuts in windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    create shortcuts in windows 10: I have a new harddrive and before could create shortcuts to save icons on desktop but this new hard drive will not let me do it and had windows 10 before. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-shortcuts-in-windows-10/9fc8aeae-3ece-406b-adcf-5ecbd3991e61"
  4. Create shortcut to windows update on desktop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Create shortcut to windows update on desktop: Can't seem to find a way to do this. Anybody know? 5373
  5. Create This PC Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create This PC Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create This PC Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a This PC Shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information My Computer was changed to This PC in Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1. You would open File Explorer to view This PC. In Windows 10, File Explorer now opens...
  6. Create Connect shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Connect shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Connect shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Connect Wireless Display and Audio Devices shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows 10, you can connect a wireless display or Bluetooth audio device to your PC. Miracast is a wireless...
  7. Create Search Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Search Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Search Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Search Shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows 10 offers you many ways to search for files. One way is in File Explorer. This tutorial will show you how to create or download a Search shortcut...
  8. Create Check for updates in Windows Update shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Check for updates in Windows Update shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Check for updates in Windows Update shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Check for updates in Windows Update shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information Microsoft has made it easier for Windows Update to keep Windows 10 updated by automatically...
  9. Create Settings shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Settings shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Settings shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Settings shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information Most of the settings you'll want to change in Windows 10 are in Settings. Settings is organized into the separate System, Devices, Network & Internet,...
  10. Create Check for Updates in Store Shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Check for Updates in Store Shortcut in Windows 10: How to: Create Check for Updates in Store Shortcut in Windows 10 How to Create a Check for updates in Store Shortcut in Windows 10 [img] Information The Microsoft Store app in Windows 10 offers various apps, games, music, movies & TV, and books that users can browse...